Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #15

Hi Bruce and Jenna, I don't know if I want to give up the back window for a desk! DH will be the one using the desk (if it was me using the desk I might feel different ). I want to be able to sit in the back and enjoy the view when I can.

We have an F350 also, so I'm glad to hear that towing is okay for the 33RSE.

Glad to know that your warranty service went well at the Sacramento dealers. It really helps to know a little about the dealer before we go there!

We don't intend to fulltime, but we do plan to spend months out at a time when we purchase our fiver. It's so good to know that as a fulltimer, you are really enjoying the 33RSE after a year!

Thanks so much for all your info!

Patty
johnl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnl3:
We have an F350 also, so I'm glad to hear that towing is okay for the 33RSE. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just checking....you have a F350...I hope a DRW and "Tow Boss" package??? You be OK with that. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #17

Hi Tom, Yes, our F350 has DRW, but it is a 2000, so no "Tow Boss" package. You're scaring me - should we be worried about his?

Patty
Old 07-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Patty,
I'm assuming it's a diesel. What gear ratio is it? Larry Godby is towing a 33ft. RSE with an old F350. It would be nice if you have a 4.10 or 4.30 axle ratio. Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Rockin is correct. I upgraded to the TowBoss gear ration for the necessary towing capacity. The 07 truck with the standard 4.10 rear axle was rated at 23,500 GVWR. The 4.30LS is rated at 26,000. Needed that additional grunt.

Don't let anyone kid you. Gotta have enough capacity. +10% is better for a margin of safety.

Plus, the most important factor is wheelbase. For a 35' trailer, I neede the extended cab, not necessarily the full rear cab. The standard cab was not long enough.

Bye.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rockintom:
Larry Godby is towing a 33ft. RSE with an old F350. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

Are you trying to shame me into a 450 or push me all the way to the dark side for a 770?

Shoot I would even take Virg's 610 but I can't put my hands on that many little scooters.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #21

Okay, now I'm really scared and depressed! Our truck's gear ratio is 3.73 . It is a diesel extended cab tho. I wish my DH would come on here and talk with you guys about this. I'm really kinda out of my element!

DH is saying that he knows that we will have to go slow up the hills . . . He doesn't want to get a new truck. His truck is a 6-speed manual transmission with exhaust brake. Does any of this help, or should I be every so much more scared!!!

Thanks, Patty
Old 07-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #22

Excel Owners Club
This is a good thread to read concerning what truck to use and the reasons for the selections.

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6281048492/m/4671002234/p/1
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #23

Hi Larry, Yes, I did see that thread. I have sent it on to DH, so that he can read it!

Thanks, Patty
Old 07-08-2008, 02:34 AM   #24

john,
we have 2000 f350 man 6 speed, 373 rearend ,2 wheel drive, that is probably a way better truck than what ford sells today, I have 137,000 on it,I use to pull 05 33rso, If you have ever been, from show low, az. to globe on us 60 down to salt river and back up, I had no problems what so ever. google that trip and elevations, I get 20 to 21 mpg, when I towed 05 33rso I would get 13, they do pull easy.
kidzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:08 AM   #25

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnl3:
Okay, now I'm really scared and depressed! Our truck's gear ratio is 3.73 . It is a diesel extended cab tho. I wish my DH would come on here and talk with you guys about this. I'm really kinda out of my element!

DH is saying that he knows that we will have to go slow up the hills . . . He doesn't want to get a new truck. His truck is a 6-speed manual transmission with exhaust brake. Does any of this help, or should I be every so much more scared!!

Thanks, Patty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Patty,
Don't mean to scare you......the manual trans and exhaust brake are encouraging and it will do it. It would be better if you had the other stuff especially on mountain passes. I could use more truck too, but don't tell my Tug that! We drive like old folks though. As FTers it the journey not the destination that counts! Tom
Old 07-08-2008, 07:35 AM   #26

I would like to thank all who commented on my posts. I've had a really great time chatting with you! I think that DH and I are going to have to rethink the Excel. It is such a quality trailer, but I just don't know if we would feel safe pulling it with our 2000 F350. We're going back to the drawing board for now.

Again, thanks so much for all your help. I appreciate it SO much! We may be back . . .

Patty
Old 07-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #27

Excel Owners Club
I would like to thank all who commented on my posts. I've had a really great time chatting with you! I think that DH and I are going to have to rethink the Excel. It is such a quality trailer, but I just don't know if we would feel safe pulling it with our 2000 F350. We're going back to the drawing board for now.

Again, thanks so much for all your help. I appreciate it SO much! We may be back . . .

Patty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel terrible cause I'm the jerk that asked you about the F350 TV! Sorry. Based on the info you gave me I think it would do OK if you take it easy and "for sure" have disk brakes on the rig. Heck...I've seen folks pull these rigs with a 3/4 ton....I wouldn't do that for sure (I pulled a 35 RKE with a 3/4 ton of a friends....WOW...no thanks...not fun especially on turns-lacks stability-too much tongue weight)! Forgive me Patty!
Old 07-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Larry, I can't remember for sure where I got the fold out table by the door, but I think it
was Home Depot.

Regarding ordering a new RSE, I don't know when they change the model year. I was at the dealer this AM talking about pricing and rebates but didn't ask that.

I pull mine with an 07 1ton Cheve DRW diesel and 3.73 rear and have no problems even with a boat or ATV trailer behind. It really doesn't work hard and has plenty of reserve power in the tow mode.

Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote