Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #29

Excel Owners Club
Johnl3

My name is Bryan Tillett. I represent Peterson Industries. Please give me a call at 800-368-3759. I would like to discuss pulling an Excel 5th wheel and the limitations of your tow vehicle with you.

I would hate for you to be scared off from purchasing a rig that you may be interested in if you've not had a chance to get all of the adaquate and accurate information of what you can and can not pull with an F350.

I'll give you straightforward, honest information, and we'll see if we can match an Excel up with your truck.

I will be in the office most of the day on Wednesday.

Thank you for your consideration.

Bryan Tillett
President
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #30

OH NO Tom, please don't feel bad!!! Now I feel bad, because you feel bad!! This could go on forever! I don't know what we're going to do regarding pulling the Excel, but I'm a big chicken, so researching with all of you has been a BIG help!!! When John gets home tonight we'll have to talk about it! Also . . .

Bryan, thanks so much for speaking up here. I've sent this thread to John at work, and maybe he will want to call you tomorrow. He said something about having to get a license to tow something that heavy in CA??? I didn't really understand what he was talking about. We were both tired, so I decided that we'd talk again tonight!

Again thanks for all your help, and Tom - PLEASE don't feel bad - I want to know all of your experiences and knowledge!!! That is what I'm doing on this Forum!!!

Thanks again,

Patty
johnl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #31

I want to thank d.duin and kidzalot also. Their info is encouraging! I will definitely make sure that DH sees all the info that has been posted here today. AND perhaps a call to PI will be in order for tomorrow . . .

Thanks,
Patty
Old 07-09-2008, 02:50 AM   #32

Excel Owners Club
johnl3,

We have an 05 35 MKO and currently tow it with an 05 F-350 TowBoss. Never, so far, have I ever felt like it wasn't enough vehicle. In September I will be taking the rig to Colorado, I might not be able to say that any more after that. At any rate, I'll give you some realistic weights to think about. Our truck the way it is equipped has a GTWR of 18,100 lbs. The truck with fuel, myself, hitch and DW weighs 8,730 lbs. The Excel, when last weighed grossed out at 16,289 lbs, 3,650 of that being the pin weight. We have the 5 KVA Onan so it accounts for 279 lbs of that. In the end, we have 1,211 lbs reserve trailer cargo capacity, 620 lbs reserve tow vehicle cargo capacity, and a reserve towing capacity of 981 lbs. As you can see, there's not much left to play with.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:17 AM   #33

Excel Owners Club
Johnl3,
We have the Classic 33TKE, but the 33RSE was our second choice for the reasons you have stated (access w/ slides in). I think you will love this floorplan. As far as tow vehicles, we traded a '06 3/4 ton Xcab SB Chevy for a 1 ton Dually Xcab after placing our order. Was it a smart thing to do? We will never know. I do know that the '06 got better mpg towing a 5th wheel than this one gets running solo because of the added, beginning w/ '07, restrictions mandated by ever decreasing wisdom of our govt. We will never load to GVWR, but it's nice knowing that this unit is built to take that weight. If you drive the same way towing as you do driving the family truckster, nothing is big enough. Is it a mistake to go bigger than necessary? NO. I love the M2, it is a great vehicle. I just couoldn't see paying more for a TV than I did for the Excel. If I were FTing, I might go that route. I did look at the new F450, but they wouldn't budge a penney and I later found out my insurance company wouldn't insure it anyway (commecial vehicle). We got the K3500 at dealer invoice. Right now, they can't give trucks away so now is the time to buy if you're looking.
Ed

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:34 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Johnl3,
We have an '07 35' TKE and 05 Chev 3500 Duramax with CrewCab,Ext bed, DRW, 4x4. I had Chev dealer install Banks 6 pack w larger exhaust. It pulls the TKE w no problem through NM & CO hills. We have currently completed 3000 miles with an average of 11 mpg over various terrain and in all kinds of weather. The one thing I would not be without ever again on any vehicle is the Exhaust Temp Guage, ETG. It's been the only indicator of what the work load is on the vehicle. I keep it running no more than 1250 degrees and have done just fine so far.

I also added AirLifts to the suspension system and that smooths out the ride on the rougher roads.

All in all, we feel very safe with our setup. We do drive a little slower than most, 55 - 63 mph. That saves on the gas too. We also give people a lot of room to give ourselves that extra margin of safety.

I've also heard that truck dealers are willing to really deal now for the new sale. It just might be a great time to act.

Enjoy the hunt.

Tim
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #35

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnl3:
Hi Bruce and Jenna, I don't know if I want to give up the back window for a desk! DH will be the one using the desk (if it was me using the desk I might feel different ). I want to be able to sit in the back and enjoy the view when I can.

Patty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One more comment about furniture, since I'm sure Bryan will find a way to get you into an Excel. He's very persuasive.

I suggest you check out those chairs first. The recliners for our 07 were big and heavy. So big that you could only turn them back to back to fit in that space when you closed the slide. So heavy that dragging them on the carpet was a chore we quickly grew tired of. Pull them out far enough to turn around to look out the window and you lose buncha LR space. Then you drag them in and...did I mention heavy?

We sold them off within a week of moving in. Filled the space with junk for months before eventually ordering the desk.

Good luck.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #36

Thanks so much all who are continuing to comment on this thread. I am sharing all of the info with my DH. Our biggest issue right now is that in CA, DH would have to get a special license to pull that heavy of a trailer. At this point, I'm just not sure if we're into doing that, however, all is still open for discussion!

Bruce and Jenna thanks for your comment about the chairs. We were thinking if we got this unit, we would get the Euro Chairs. Do you know anything about them? I wonder if they're comfortable???

Patty
Old 07-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #37

Excel Owners Club
John13
We deleted the Peterson recliners when we orderd our 09 L33TKE and bought the Lane Leather Euro chairs with the outmans. the 2 short trips we made they seem very nice.

When we opened the boxes, yes some assembly is required, the chairs were not the same color. The production dates were differnt. The store got another chair and we mached the best 2. Lane makes them with leather only on the touch surfaces and with complete leather we got the complete leather.

Dan
Dan Hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #38

Hi Dan, Good to know that you like the Euro Chairs! I'm glad to hear that!

Patty
Old 07-10-2008, 07:21 AM   #39

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnl3:
Thanks so much all who are continuing to comment on this thread. I am sharing all of the info with my DH. Our biggest issue right now is that in CA, DH would have to get a special license to pull that heavy of a trailer. At this point, I'm just not sure if we're into doing that, however, all is still open for discussion!

Bruce and Jenna thanks for your comment about the chairs. We were thinking if we got this unit, we would get the Euro Chairs. Do you know anything about them? I wonder if they're comfortable???

Patty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Patty,

Getting a non commercial class "A" drivers license is not a big deal. Texas requires it if your combined weight rating is over 26001 lbs. Keep in mind this is combined weight rating not actual weight. I devoted about a 1/2 day to getting it and it was all over.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote