Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2008, 03:48 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
We had our bathroom vent outside cover replaced in 2006 due to water intrusion. In early 2007, we had another instance of water entering through the ceiling A/C vent adjacent to the shower (35MKO) and the shower skylight interior shroud. During our last visit to SC, Jack had (IMO the best) SC technician, Darrin, check the roof area over the bathroom for any possible entry. Jack and Darrin had me join them on the roof and we could not find a source.

We've had considerable rain here in the Mid-West and the water leak has returned. This time it leaked around the interior skylight shroud -- thankfully dripping into the shower.

Any suggestions? This is not a big leak, probably less than a cup in a 12-hr period. We had a heavy snowfall earlier this month and with the snow melt, there wasn't a leak. It appears to happen more during wind-blown heavy rains.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2008, 03:48 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We had our bathroom vent outside cover replaced in 2006 due to water intrusion. In early 2007, we had another instance of water entering through the ceiling A/C vent adjacent to the shower (35MKO) and the shower skylight interior shroud. During our last visit to SC, Jack had (IMO the best) SC technician, Darrin, check the roof area over the bathroom for any possible entry. Jack and Darrin had me join them on the roof and we could not find a source.

We've had considerable rain here in the Mid-West and the water leak has returned. This time it leaked around the interior skylight shroud -- thankfully dripping into the shower.

Any suggestions? This is not a big leak, probably less than a cup in a 12-hr period. We had a heavy snowfall earlier this month and with the snow melt, there wasn't a leak. It appears to happen more during wind-blown heavy rains.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:04 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
I feel bad as I don't how much help I can be without seeing and touching the leak. I assume you have the shroud down and looked around? Did you take any pics of the area at the shroud where it was leaking?
Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #4

Chief, having the enclosed bath on my unit, I keep trying to picture in my mind what the vent looks like. At first I thought it was a crankup 'ventline' type and then I get the impression it looks like the type of vent/cover thats used on the waste vent?

I have found that its easier to deal with a water leak when you can see it also. On our second trip we had thunderstorms every afternoon for the first four days of the trip. On the third day, we found the cloth basket in the front closet was damp and items on the upper shelf was also. I check the roof and couldn't find a problem area. It rained three other times on the trip and never had the problem again. Have since resealed with Dicor all my long seams.

When I replaced the power vent over my shower, I replaced it cause it had a metal casing and was bady rusted and the noise. When it was removed, was surprised that water had gotten beneath the dicor sealant and from the stains on the roof had gotten to the point of almost entering the interior. About 90% of the flange had been affected. The only problem that I noticed and would assume to be the cause was the sealant had what looked to be small slits, almost hairline, 'bout 1/8 to 1/4" long on the exteroir surface of the sealant. Suspect caused by air bubbles when the sealant was applied but didn't give appearance it was a problem. Found the same on one of the waste vents.

I would probably be looking under the shroud also to see/feel which side might be damp. I use this METER for work, mainly because its inexpensive and if it breaks, oh well, but use it to tell if something is damp. As I don't care to what degree, it works for me. Damp is damp. I used it in December when checking out the unit to see if or where I might have water dampness and it did what its surpose to. Gave me a better understand of the 'gutter/awning trim' problems on my unit. Was going to include it in a Post on caulking/sealing but nows a good time.

Hope something helped.
Chris
Old 03-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Chris -- I was referring to the toilet exhaust vent, which on our model is across from the shower and, with the older style, has caused problems in the past. Tom has the old style vent.

Water was entering the roof vent and migrating across. PI replaced our "old style" exterior vent cover.

I was unable to work on this problem today as we had a full-plate of family items on the agenda. The rain has stopped, so this issue has dropped in priority. My plan is to pursue after Easter and I'll post pictures then.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Chris,

Just FYI...as you have mentioned you have the older unit and haven't been around alot of the later units. The power vent on your 2001 is totally different animal than the power exhaust vent on our units. That is probably confusing to you as you are familiar with yours. I might try to send a pic to help clarify it.

Also my bud has a '01 35 RKE so I'm kinda familiar with it. He had the water leak/moisture in the front closet. He called PI and they recommended using the eternabond tape on the rail strip between the front cap and fiberglass top, rear cap and also the strip where the 2 top pieces come together. He did that and eliminated his issue. I think they started adding that in production about '04 or '05. As you may know the eternabond tape is not cheap. Make sure it's clean and dry and make you sure you get it laid right the first time. No second chances! I'll try to get some pix and post here later. Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 03-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
While DW was fixing the vittles for supper, I decided to drop the interior shower skylight cover. I think I know what the problem is/has been -- tell me if this sound possible:

As I stated earlier, we've had a tremendous amount of rain over several days. We noticed heavy condensation inside our coach, to the point this was the first time we experienced condensation between the mattress and headboard. The window frames were literally dripping! IMO, water vapor has condensed between the outside skylight and the interior cover -- dripped down around the flange of the interior cover and leaked out around the screws.

We always run the exhaust vent when we are using the shower, so I doubt that the moisture is coming from the shower.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Chief,
You may be right. When the weather gets right we get a tremendous amount of condesation in the skylight and the surround panel area. But if you look at it at the right angle you can see all the little beads of moisture that eventually make it to water droplets and fall inside the shower. We, too, sometimes get sweating window frame, big time. I don't think you fix it. Just walk by and wipe with a towel from time to time.

For your sake I hope that's all it is!
Old 03-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #9

Chief,

I can see where it could cause this problem with all the rain and other condensation problems you discribed. The next time it rains, pull the shroud and take another look.

Tom,

Thanks for the pictures, the tape does have a cleaner/nicer look. I had quite a buildup of Dicor on those area, would have had to remove a bit to get that look. That one time, was the only time we had that problem and looking at the ceiling and area where all three seams are, don't know is it was a problem in the past. In Dec cleaned and sealed with fresh Dicor. Do keep a roll of E-tape in my repair kit.

My roof vents are Northern Breeze in the bedroom and living area. They have a wall mount control and t-stat. The bath unit was like THIS but had a metal casing. It even had a power lift!. Replaced it with THIS.

Thanks, Chris
Old 03-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Workshop:
It even had a power lift!. Replaced it with THIS.

Thanks, Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No wonder your bride has you on an "Excel expense diet"!
Old 03-22-2008, 05:10 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Tom, my condensation (if that's what it is) is between the exterior skylight cover and th interior cover -- here are several pictures:

Water on the shower ceiling around the skylight opening.

Water damaged wood around shower opening.

Additional water damage.

These pictures were taken immediately after I removed the interior skylight cover.

This problem is particularly perplexing in that it does not show up except in heavy rain.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:30 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Chief,

My condesation looks the same as yours. I'm sorry, I can't really see the water wood damage by the pix (my eyes are often fogged by the 20-20! )

While you have the shroud off, you may want to put someone (Marilyn? ) on the roof with the water hose and check to see if you have water coming in...work a small area at a time....don't get in any hurry... remember as small as leak as you have, it may take time to run inside. Just an idea. And that's no guarantee you'll determine the source. rockintom

On edit...I reread this and "am I ever encouraging!....sorry"
Old 03-22-2008, 06:09 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My condesation looks the same as yours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, the water that you see was inside the shower skylight cover. The photos don't show the detail, but there were water droplets on the skylight itself.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:09 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Chief,

I've seen moisture/condensation in-between the inner and outer skylights layers on ours too under the right weather conditions. Tom