Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Excel Emergency Exits

Thought I'd post this under it's own thread, even though we've been talking about fires and fire extingushers. Some may think I'm getting a little
obsessed or paranoid with the fire subject. Not really, but reading a recent incident about folks getting trapped in the rear of their MH fire last May in AZ and not being able to get out an emergency exit window (for whatever reason), prompted this post.
I'm linking a video that "Mac the Fireguy" did on this subject for your viewing. While this is not a high quality video, it has great basic information regarding an exit plan in case of a fire in your coach. Please view it.
I went to check both my exit windows and noticed the rear exit was somewhat hard to open. After further investigation, I noticed that the black butyl that is used to installed the window frames in the coach on assembly was oozing out and some getting on the window itself causing the resistance to open. I used my modified plastic "hockey puck" to remove the excess (be very careful around decals). Then clean the balance with mineral spirits on a rag, then alcohol, then applied Protectant 303 on the weather strip and frame of the window which contacts the weather strip.
As you can see in the pix, I used a short metal curtain rod to use as a stick to hold the window open. The rubber tips were a nice feature so the stick doesn't slip on the glass.
One thing to note is the metal bracket that attaches to the window that is used to retain the clamps to the window, are VERY sharp. My emergency exits are both 24" W X 17" H which are not very big. If you didn't have the window open very far or without a stick holding it open, I would think it could cut you like a knife (take a look at yours).
Again, I'm not wanting to be over paranoid on this subject, just hope all have a plan in place and think about this stuff before hand and not wait to do it in case of an emergency. Thanks for listening.....rockin'

Now back to my normal silly stuff as I don't do serious stuff for long! I was gonna say something funny that included my man "still", but decided against it.....I've been a little hard on him lately.....just consider this as an apology still.....that's as close as it gets!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Emergency Exit 001 (Copy).JPG
Views:	62
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	23078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Emergency Exit 002 (Copy).JPG
Views:	73
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	23079  

Name:	Excel Emergency Exit 003 (Copy).JPG
Views:	61
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	23080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Emergency Exit 004 (Copy).JPG
Views:	69
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	23081  

Name:	Excel Emergency Exit 005 (Copy).JPG
Views:	69
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	23082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Emergency Exit 006 (Copy).JPG
Views:	64
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	23083  

Name:	Excel Emergency Exit 007 (Copy).JPG
Views:	74
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	23084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Emergency Exit 008 (Copy).JPG
Views:	84
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	23085  

Name:	Excel Emergency Exit 009 (Copy).JPG
Views:	161
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	23086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Emergency Exit 010 (Copy).JPG
Views:	68
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	23088  

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
A few more pix....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Excel Emergency Exit 011 (Copy).JPG
Views:	73
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	23089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Emergency Exit 012 (Copy).JPG
Views:	62
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	23090  

Name:	Excel Emergency Exit 013 (Copy).JPG
Views:	88
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	23091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Emergency Exit 014 (Copy).JPG
Views:	72
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	23092  

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #3

My fire drills include grabbing the (I have a rear bed) bed spread and using that to cover the edge. I plan to remove the screws that keep the window from sliding so it will in fact slide out of the way.
I also practice opening the other E exit in the toilet room and actually climbing (at least part way) out onto the roof.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excel