Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2007, 11:59 AM   #15

Thanks ChiefJohn.

We haven't and won't do anything to really change the trailer from its original looks and style.

My wife and I have been looking at vintage trailers and have decided to change and add a few more "vintage" items, like a vintage awning and 2" aluminum blinds with tapes.

We had no idea when we bought this trailer what we bought, we had intended on something a lot newer, and however now that we know what we bought we could not be happier. There was home carpet in the trailer and the cushions had recently been replaced or reupholstered.

This was the first "RV" we have ever bought, knew NOTHING!!

We are so glad it doesn't have forced air heat that eats batteries in one night rather radiant heat that keeps the trailer warm forever.

I have repaired paneling inside with paneling I got from the overhead bed we removed along with some plastic edging that needs replacing.

We are currently doing a lot of "detailing" and cleaning.

I am going to paint the brown the same Sequoia Brown Metallic as our truck.

We will strive to keep it as "vintage" and original as possible, but we do love a few creature comforts too.

Thanks for listening.
rubiranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:43 PM   #16

Excel is a vehicle on wheels, a piece of metal and wood that we call home. Just so happens it is well made and competent. Rather than ding the poor guy for not knowing what he has I'd compliment him for good taste and sound judgement. If he defers to the salesman then let him know he has a very tasteful and intelligent salesman. The man will definitely have some thoughts about this. I found Excel by accident. In the beginning I swore I would never have an RV. Cumbersome, ungainly, old folks home material and so on. Then my sister and husband showed up in their F/T rig and I was curious. They were going places while I stayed in my stick home. We bought a little, used Jayco 5r from Moriarty RV Sales and loved it. I really got the bug and bought an Idletime Sportster from the same people. Very sweet toybox and my best memories are locked in that rig. The Excels were always there and we liked the people with them. It was only logical to purchase an Excel for F/T. Having vacation experience helped and attending the Excel Club presentations at the dealership sure were convincing. Suddenly we are living in an Excel and the house closes Monday. Sort of cool if you ask me. Excel reflects greater engineering, construction and dealer support to me. It is indeed a great package IMHO, Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:25 AM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Phil,

Congratulations on the FTing in the Excel.

My intent in this thread is not to "ding" anyone. It was just an observation and that I was surprised there were more than I thought of this situation. Just an observation! I kinda wished I had keep it a thought and not post it, as it is not a big deal. Just an old man rambling on. Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:17 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Keep on "rambling" Son!
Old 06-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #19

rockintom, thanks for the pictures, very nice.

No Excel dealers in Utah, the closest to me is in Cody Wyoming.

I was reading Excels history on their webstie and thought it was interesting that 1969 was the first year they built a TT and the first one they sold was at the 1969 Denver RV show.

Makes me wonder how many TTs they built in 69 and which one (numerically) ours is.

I alsowonder how many are still out there, I have only ever seen one other Excel TT.

Thanks again for the pictures.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:57 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Rubi,

Given your serial number, PI may be able to determine the date manufactured. You may have one of the first units built.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:20 PM   #21

I don't know if there is a vin number on the trailer it self or not, the info on the title is:
ID number - S89141
Year - 1969
Make - Excel
Model - 19

The dealer I believe it was originally purchased from was Barlow Trailer Sales in Riverdale, Utah.

When we purchased the trailer (from a friend that owns a RV dealer) they offered to give us the previous owners contact info if we so desired but at the time I had no reason to cantact them, maybe I will see if that info is still available.

One of the salesman told us it was kept in side and the original owners traded it in but the gentleman we delt with said he didn't know that for a fact himself so he wouldn't bet on it.

I have no idea what the vin numbers reveal but they don't look like an "early" number to me, but then what do I know.

Thanks for any info you can help me with.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:13 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Rubi,
This may be enough for the folks at PI to determine the history of your 1969 Excel. 1969, great year, got married (now ex ?W) and went to Vietnam -- in retrospect, the marriage was worse! There I go, rambling like an old man! Wonder who I got that from??
Old 06-04-2007, 05:48 AM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">in retrospect, the marriage was worse! </div></BLOCKQUOTE> LOL

Thanks Jonn. It's been kind of interesting. We bought the trailer 4 years ago and never knew anything about Excel and now finding out bits and pieces is nice.

Thanks for the forum.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #24

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChiefJohn:
Rubi,
This may be enough for the folks at PI to determine the history of your 1969 Excel. 1969, great year, got married (now ex ?W) and went to Vietnam -- in retrospect, the marriage was worse! There I go, rambling like an old man! Wonder who I got that from?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's "whom" not who....isn't it? I was a junior in high school in '69......what do I know? Why do I get so much attention here? This thread is turned out better than I thought!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 06-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #25

I hope we didn't steal your thread.

I stopped at the dealer today and they said they would contact the previous owner for me to see if it is OK for me to contact them.

Would be neat to end up with a few "vintage" pictures back when the TT was new, maybe being towed with the family station wagon.

Who am I kidding, they'll probably tell me to get lost.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:16 AM   #26

Excel Owners Club
Tom,
Why you get so much attention?

Rubi, I can't speak for others but I'm follwoing your search with some interest. For some reason, I like OLD stuff. May be because I graduated from college in 1969 and I am old too.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:25 AM   #27

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MakinSmoke:
Tom,
Why you get so much attention?

Rubi, I can't speak for others but I'm follwoing your search with some interest. For some reason, I like OLD stuff. May be because I graduated from college in 1969 and I am old too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My bride says I'm starved for attention. Can you imagine that? Must be major insecurities....never did get pass Psyc. 101!

Seriously...the '69 model has sure got my attention, too. I believe Bryan may have been alive in '69. Maybe he can help us out on info. Tom
Old 06-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #28

After rockintom sent me pictures (thank you) I looked in the phonebook and didn't see any Excel dealers here where I live so I e-mailed them and asked where the closest dealer was because I wanted to look at the new ones.

After we e-mailed a couple of times I sent my vin# to see if they could help at all and this is the response I got back today from Excel;

"Our company suffered a major fire in 1983, and records were lost (remember this was before the computer back-up systems for records we now have). We don't even have any brochures or advertising materials from before the fire. No one works here now who used to work here when your camper was built.

I am only guessing (from the 3 or 4 e-mails) but I don't think they have any interest in old (vintage Excels, just their new ones. I'm sure they have been contacted by other "pre-fire" Excel owners several times in the past.

I am still waiting for my dealer to contact the previous owner and let me know what they have to say.