Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2011, 05:49 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Excel Travel Mate

I just added a new travel maate to our setup. We used to have " B&tc@en Betty" telling us how to go on our trips. We'd change her from the truck to the car with few issues.

At Costco this week, I received an email with an "on-line" deal for a new Garmin 1490T for $169.99 with lifetime upgrades. It has the larger screen and all the do-dahs one thinks they need. I wanted it because of the "lane assist" that it had to help out when driving the truck down the inter-states.

So off we go to the local Costco to get one to try out before I order on-line for the special deal. Well, they also had a Magellin 5120 LMTX on sale for $110.00 with lifetime upgrades.

We took them both home for a comparison. The Magellin won out, much to my surprise. The main points were that it showed the much needed rest stops for the driving breaks. It also had a "AAA TourBook" section that was pretty neat. The game changer for us was the on-screen ability to input multiple stops, optimize the travel to the points, & the ability to change the order of stops by dragging them on-screen to a new position. Besides we'll save $50 in the deal.

The Magellin will get road tested some more today and then we turn the Garmin back in to Costco if all goes well.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2011, 06:47 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Timo,

Thanks for the heads up......the Magellin sounds pretty cool. You guys must be rich.....if Donna and I took two home at the same time......we'd have to get one back before the credit card hit that month!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
And I thought you were talking about Excel had come out with some new gizmo for us to travel with.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
And I thought you were talking about Excel had come out with some new gizmo for us to travel with.
Still,

Now that you're coming clean........I thought Rosie's seat in the HDT was being jeopardized!!!!!!

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 04-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Timo,

if Donna and I took two home at the same time......we'd have to get one back before the credit card hit that month!!!
That's exactly why we're taking the one back tomorrow. Only one will hit the credit card and it's the CHEAPER one.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Still,

Now that you're coming clean........I thought Rosie's seat in the HDT was being jeopardized!!!!!!

Ms. Rose's seat is NOT in any way in trouble. I'd be a lost puppy w/o her. If anyone's is in trouble it could be me when I don't pay attention to her directions and just listen to the GPS.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor2BnC View Post
Ms. Rose's seat is NOT in any way in trouble. I'd be a lost puppy w/o her. If anyone's is in trouble it could be me when I don't pay attention to her directions and just listen to the GPS.
I hear ya, Timo......I can relate to that!!! Is'nt it bad that still and me can take something soooo wholesome and make it naughty. We have to blame the bulk of it on still, since he's the one that taught me all the bad things I know and do!!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
I hear ya, Timo......I can relate to that!!! Is'nt it bad that still and me can take something soooo wholesome and make it naughty. We have to blame the bulk of it on still, since he's the one that taught me all the bad things I know and do!!!!
As many folks as I know in Smith Center there is know way that I thought about anything naughty coming out of there. I'm talking about the whole town, not just PI. Washout is famous for trying to drag people down to his level. Not this redneck.

In case someone has not noticed, I'll share a little thing about Washout. How do you know he getting ready to go ? When he opens his mouth or touches the keyboard!!
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
As many folks as I know in Smith Center there is know way that I thought about anything naughty coming out of there. I'm talking about the whole town, not just PI. Washout is famous for trying to drag people down to his level. Not this redneck.

In case someone has not noticed, I'll share a little thing about Washout. How do you know he getting ready to go ? When he opens his mouth or touches the keyboard!!
Still,

Whacha you talking 'bout Willis?? (Gary Coleman line) You'd love to come out of the lower "dog walking" status to my "upper gutter" level!!!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Hey Tim,
Any idea how many stops can be plugged in to route between ? We have an older version of Co-Pilot and use this function for our job of making sales calls but have our version on a laptop that is on its last leg. Wondering if what you purchased might do the trick.
Lindaxtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:04 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaxtwo View Post
Hey Tim,
Any idea how many stops can be plugged in to route between ? We have an older version of Co-Pilot and use this function for our job of making sales calls but have our version on a laptop that is on its last leg. Wondering if what you purchased might do the trick.
Linda,

I put in 14 random stops and it was still letting me go for more. It optimized the route for the shortest travel time. I can also move the stops to another position if I want. I liked that feature alot.

Tim
Old 04-20-2011, 06:16 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
I'd like to figure out how to capture and transfer all of our favorite saves so we can put them into a new GPS unit ... I have 4 years into our current Garmin and am tired of searching for that ideal RV compatible replacement.
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:48 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KU9L View Post
I'd like to figure out how to capture and transfer all of our favorite saves so we can put them into a new GPS unit ... I have 4 years into our current Garmin and am tired of searching for that ideal RV compatible replacement.
Good luck on that request. I think the only way is to go "manual" with the transfer.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KU9L View Post

Have you gone to Garmin’s web site? I do know there are 135 Frequently asked questions. I know if you use Google maps you can pin the GPS coordinates and transfer them to your Garmin. Example would be if you are geocaching and wanted to up load 15 locations to your Garmin. Garmin and Google maps are the same. So I don’t see why you couldn’t transfer your favorites to a file on your desk top. Here is a link for Garmin tech support where you can chat and ask them how to do it.
BSmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote