RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:38 PM   #1

Excel Travel trailer Not a 5ver

Anyone seen have or had one of the Excel Travel Trailers. I am a 5ver fan myself. But I seen and Excel travel trailer. This was a tag along not a 5th wheel. And they had to be rare because there is only 2 that I can find anywhere on the net. 33ft, 4 slides, 50A etc and wow what a TT. This thing was nice. Loaded every option one could think of. And it had disk brakes from Dexter. Someone loved it im sure. A friend of mine is considering buying it and took me to check it out. Any feedback or opinions welcome.

consolenut is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2019, 07:23 PM   #2
JDT

The only time I have ever seen one was in 2012 when we sold our motorhome. I did it on consignment with a local dealer and he happened to have one on his lot, also on consignment. I walked thru it and it was quite impressive. I do remember thinking how heavy it must be but I guess a one ton single rear wheel would probably handle it.

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:08 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Over on the Facebook Excel Owners Group is a guy who bought an Excel travel trailer. It required extensive repair due to poor previous maintenance.

Check the one you're looking at for leaks and wood rot around slides and slide floors.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:11 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I've seen a few and thought they were pretty cool. One of them I got to spend some time in was in Brenda, AZ (friends of a friend). This one had every factory option available. Even had a dishwasher. A big issue I had with a bumper pull is storage. However, I think Excel did a good job with that. It had more storage area than any other pull trailer I had ever seen. Something a person should consider was the original cost and length. Pretty heavy IIRC. They quit making it due to poor sales, which I believe was because of the aforementioned items. No strong desire for a "high end" bumper pull.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #5

Yes I agree the amount of storage under the front is incredible for a travel trailer. Everything about it was on the higher end of things. High End bumper pull is exactly the term. The dexter disk brakes were the real eye opener. 8 lug axles and aluminum wheels make it attractive. With (2) 15K dometic A/C on the roof it shouldn't have any issue staying cool no matter where its at. 33 ft is small space for 2 AC.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:30 PM   #6

I have bought my 33 RLE new in 2011. I have not had any major issues with it at all. I will do regular maintenance on it and it is always in my garage when I am not using it. Rockintom has been a wealth of knowledge for me. It is the best TT I have ever had.
Donnyhosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:28 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Donny, you are too kind. I really like the attention! At least someone loves me! Ha!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 07-02-2019, 02:27 PM   #8

Hi with some knowledge on this thread of the excels. Wanted to reach out and see if you can help me out with an issue on the excel Travel Trailer. In the wet bay there is a valve to fill the fresh water tank. Well the valve broke due to age I am guessing. So in theory I snipped the line on this side of the valve. And put a cap in the end on for the line. In doing so it stopped the leak but the unit is still trying fill the fresh water tank. Any help gladly appreciated.

Wondering if the check valve in the water pump has failed and allowing to flow any way. Ive seen this happen but not on an excel.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:09 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Console, those water valves are usually quite troublefree. I've never seen one fail. The check valve in the water pumps.....that's another story. The older Shurflo 2008 classic had a small check valve that need changing on a regular basic. The newer pumps have larger and more robust check valve which last longer. You can buy the check valve kit and replace it as I did numerous times. Seems they were about $12. In my first 2 Excel I can say I replaced about 8 check valves over the years.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #10

well a quick update the water pump was the culprit. got one locally installedand no more issue.....cross fingers. this TT is impressive holding 72 inside in 95+ degree heat
Old 07-03-2019, 05:46 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
console. What brand and model of WP did you install? Just curious....
Old 07-04-2019, 05:44 AM   #12

Iím glad u found the problem. Hope u enjoy your Excel TT as much as we do. Have a great 4th of July! Donny

Donnyhosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excel, trailer, travel, travel trailer