Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #1

Excel water leak - help!

Greetings fellow Excel owners...we own a 2004 30 SKW Classic that has developed an exasperating sidewall leak in the left (from the inside facing the front of the trailer) corner of the bedroom closet. I have scoured the roof and sidewalls looking for obvious sites of potential water penetration with no success. Somehow, water is getting behind the exterior fiberglass wall. I removed the upper and lower amber marker lights and found soaking wet insulation behind the lower light. The insulation behind the upper marker light is bone dry. I pried off the vertical and horizontal plastic covers (left side) that protect the metal screw strips on the trailer's front cap and found most of the screws to be heavily rusted and covered with lots of green sludge. But, I still can't tell how water is getting behind the fiberglass and under the plastic coverings.

The carpet in the front corner of the bedroom closet is soaked, and we have found some water on the closet's inside wall (left corner) as high as 2 to 3 feet above the floor. Will appreciate any help or suggestions you can send our way! Thanks, Snowmass in New Hampshire
snowmass99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I would call the PI service Center on Monday. This is going to be a major repair from the sounds of it. They have went home for the weekend by now. 800-368-3759

I saw a 2005 that had what was a smaller leak. Turned out that they had to remove the front cap and rebuild the sidewall. They can help you more then I can for this repair.

I know this is not what you want to hear.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
There is a horizontal divider trim running from the bedroom slide out to the front cap that runs even with the top of the bedroom s/o. That trim most likely has rubber insert vinyl hiding the screws. Perhaps you could remove that trim (probably about 18" long). From the sound of your post, it sounds as if water may be getting in under that trim toward the front, near the front cap.

The other possibility would be the horizontal trim that joins the rubber roof and the fiberglass.

Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
In 2004 PI was still not using Eternabond tape on the front and rear seam of the roof. I believe Dicor self leveling was used instead. Where the front cap, sidewall and roof all come together is the primary source of a leak as I recall. If you tear out the inside closet side wall you'll probably see the leak. And unfortuneatly you'll also see the build up of mold over time. We know a guy that used to be on this forum (headinsouth) that did this repair himself on his 2004 Excel. That's all I know for now......you may want to do a search on this forum using his name to search. rockin'

On Edit......looks like Bryan has given you a lead......I typed and walked away from time and came back after they posted......sounds like you got some info anyway!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #5

Old 10-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Water removal/restoration companies have neat handheld moisture detectors that they use to find hidden miosture in dry wall and floors. This may help pinpiont or trace where the water extended to.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #7

Shopping for Excel and Concerned About Water Leaks

We soon will be replacing our current RV, a 1998 Class C Born Free, with a 5th wheel. While doing research on Excel 5th Wheels, we came across this thread and it is very concerning as we have had similar, major water leak issues with the Born Free. Screws completely rusted out with almost nothing left of them etc. Why do these otherwise quality conscious RV Manufacturers refuse to use stainless screws?

Hopefully Peterson Industries has improved the design of their seams and their manufacturing processes since the 2004 model which is the subject of this thread. Born Free did in 2008 and it is my understanding that they have cured most of their water leak issues as a result.
Delrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excel, leak, water