Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Excel Wheel Balancing

Anybody use these, Centramatic on the Excel or their tow vehicle? It sure wouldn't hurt to extend the life of the tires. Replacing these things is not what I like doing.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did a quick search and found many threads on the board reporting various experiences with Centramics.... You might check some of these:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f86/centr...tem-58217.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/tire-...ing-13971.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/new-...ing-51687.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/cent...ers-50644.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/tire-balancing-2332.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f116/cent...ers-33613.html

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor2BnC View Post
Anybody use these, Centramatic on the Excel or their tow vehicle? It sure wouldn't hurt to extend the life of the tires. Replacing these things is not what I like doing.
Tim,

This is almost as contraversal subject as "which is better an enclosed bath or an open?" or should "I have a washer/dryer in my rig or not?"

I'm one of these guys that absolutely recommend tire balancing on normal cars and trucks, but don't waste money on balancing tires on the rig. Why? Because the weight of the rig won't allow an out of balance tire to damage it's self. You can read all kinds of stuff on this, but if you talk with upstanding tire professionals....they'll tell you it is a waste of money. Also most of us will be replacing tire for age purposes (I'm a 3 year guy on our border line acceptable G614 tires) rather than tread wear. I say don't waste your time being concerned on this and concentrate on other issues (also save your money).
We have about 55,000 miles on Journey and never had a tire balanced or failure yet. (went 3 years on first set of Goodyears and almost 2 years on second) Did have 2 flats, but that was a screw and nail issue) This will excite of lot of folks, just wait and see. So many folks are so used to balancing auto and truck tires......they believe it's necessary on this big trailers. Obviously there are folks out there who believe in this stuff cause the companies are still in business. There also companies producing add-on stuff that promises fuel mileage improvement of 5 miles a gallon too!!! Here we gooooo..... rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Tim,

I have heard the Centramic are great on an HDT, since there is so much that can change with the larger size tires that we run. As for LGT's and trailer tires I have no advice there. For what they cost I would think that just going to a trusted tire shop and balance your tires since we don't run over/into to knock a tire out of balance that often. I do think that it doesn't hurt to balance trailer tires. Now if you did lots off roading, it wouldn't make any difference to balance the tires. Save the money on more toys.

I have not put them on my HDT but have thought about it. More so the a Pressure Pro or the likes of. I must say that I am checking my mirrors a lot while driving an dI have had two blow outs while pulling.

This MHO for what it's worth.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Rockin, I will agree with you on the balancing of tires on a trailer. On one of my four rigs I had the tires aligned because the camphor was off and I was getting tire wear. The big difference from you to me is I have never bought any trailer tires…..I just trade when needing new skins!!!!
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Woody,

I'm getting to think trading every two years may not be such a bad idea! Oh BTW...I think you mean "camber". Camphor is something you put on mosquito bites!!! Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Woody,

I'm getting to think trading every two years may not be such a bad idea! Oh BTW...I think you mean "camber". Camphor is something you put on mosquito bites!!! Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!

your right.....
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:01 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f86/centr...tem-58217.html

Here is some more info Tim.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:03 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
Larry & everyone else

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I'll be trading rigs to save on changing the tires soon, so it looks as though these may be in our future shortly.

The only other way to prevent wear on the tires is to stop driving it and I'm not ready to plant the feet yet. Too many things to do & places to see.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Janet, thanks for taking the time to post a list of items on tire balancing.
It is useful for everyone.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote