Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Pardon me if this is a stupid question, but here goes: What do you use as a filter for the stove vent that is built into the microwave. All of our previous units vented to the outside thru the usual "flapper" cover. You used to be able to find filter fluid for spraying a metal filter, but am having trouble finding it. When frying bacon (for example) the entire Excel smells like bacon whether the vent is used or not.
Thanks for any suggestions, Ed

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Pardon me if this is a stupid question, but here goes: What do you use as a filter for the stove vent that is built into the microwave. All of our previous units vented to the outside thru the usual "flapper" cover. You used to be able to find filter fluid for spraying a metal filter, but am having trouble finding it. When frying bacon (for example) the entire Excel smells like bacon whether the vent is used or not.
Thanks for any suggestions, Ed

Old 07-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Ed,
Like you, I don't like all the smells long after dinner is over. Our "vent" dumps the "vented" air right back in your face??? Whasup with that?

A partial solution for us has been to use the automatic ceiling exhaust fan that happens to be almost straight over your head as you are cooking (in our trailer). (there is a fancy name for it but we over that the Grandson's house right now so I can't go look) We crack a window and it seems to draw most of the cooking odor out. Better than nothing.

Still begs the question, since the stove is on the outside wall anyway, why not vent it to the outside?
Old 07-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ed,
We do what Virg states, our kitchen roof vent is directly over the stove area and provides for an excellent smoke/smell remover--more so with the dinette window cracked.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Guys,
My vent is above the kitchen also. To tell you the truth, I keep forgetting about it.
Thanks,Ed

Old 07-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have put an "Ionic Breeze" in the corner of the "Living Room" besides using the overhead vents. We find that it really helps to "clear the air" of more than just odors. We can't believe how dirty the unit is after a week. It helps to keep a fresh smell inside too, even after cooking chili or fish. We don't allow smoking inside, so I don't know how it would work with those odors.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
We've worn out 3 Ionic Breezes and two Ecoquests over a 6 year period. I love them for how they clean the air and make the room smell but don't seem to be able to keep 'em running for long. Currently, we are on our second year of a Way Healthier Home™ Air Purifier. It doesn't make the fiver smell as nice and I wonder how much good it is doing.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've had our Ionic Breeze for 3 yrs now w/o any problems. DW is a fanatic about cleaning it weekly with alcohol solution and disassembling total unit for cleaning. I've seen her using Q-tips to get in some of the crevices. I didn't know it came apart like she had it. She's always teaching me how to clean things like that. Her nature and I'm glad for it.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:03 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Tim,
Our wives must be related! Marilyn is the only one in our house (just two of us) that can clean anything to her satisfaction -- this includes the Excel! Gotta love them! They deserve a big hand .

We've looked at the Ionic Breeze and based on your an Virg's input will probably purchase one this week.
John
Old 07-28-2008, 03:35 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The wives are "related" a little. They're married to retired military. It's probably all the military training we had that has rubbed off on them. I know I try to forget the "field days" but she sure remembers the Navy housing inspections prior to moving from housing. Talk about clean.

We have the "Ionic Breeze GP". We had it and 4 others in the 3700 sq ft house. Sure did reduce the dust and colds, besides keeping the house fresh smelling. I won't swear to the benefits of it but I know the results. Not very scientific about it though. Maybe it was just good luck and "clean living".

We bought them from a TV advertisement. I don't remember the cost either. Old age creeping in I guess.

Tim