Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #1

Exterior WiFi Antenna??

Hello All;

We will soon take delivery of a 34 IKE (already manufactured) and would like to install a thru the roof WiFi Antenna to boost our WiFi network inside the rig. Has anyone gone down this road and if so any guidance /lessons learned on where to go thru the roof etc. based on your experiences would be greatly appreciated. We had good luck with the Wilson antenna on our previous rig and are looking at that avenue as well this time. Thanks to all and Happy Safe traveling.
Hawgjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2015, 08:40 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
On our '12 L33 GKE (rear entertainment center) I went thru the roof with a Wilson antenna on the center cabinet. Your entertainment center is in the slide so that may be an issue. Wish I could be more help on that. Hope some other folks come here with their magic. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Wilson is mounted to top of refrigerator vent, no new holes in roof. Easy to route wire down Chase into coach
Old 03-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #4

I have had good success with the WiFiRanger product line. For roof antenna assistance, this is a great combo:
https://www.wifiranger.com/solutions...-wifi-mobileti

If you have a crank up TV antenna, mounting this to the mast will get it up higher off of the roof, and also lay it down flat while traveling.

The GO2 product from WiFiRanger, is a nice add on. It allows you to connect (hard wired or wifi) your phone data plan or dedicated MiFi and have the GO2 rebroadcast it in the coach.

Good luck, and have fun!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampers227 View Post
My Wilson is mounted to top of refrigerator vent, no new holes in roof. Easy to route wire down Chase into coach
On this Excel, the entertainment center and refer are located in the kitchen slide. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a Radio Labs antenna, and a repeater, that works.

The wire is fed though the refrigerator vent up to the WiFi antenna that is strapped to the Winegard TV antenna, (stainless hose clamps).

Streaming Netflix from a "free" RVPark WiFi source up to a mile away is consistent.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This what I use. I attached the antenna to my crankup TV antenna.

JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs

I ran the coax cable through a roof vent opening.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My wilson... is a cellular phone antenna, not a Wi-FI.

Wi-Fi "Antennas" come in 3 types

1: USB-Antenna/adapter.. Problem is limited length USB run (Forget the maxium length)

2: Antennas, designed to hook to the external antenna connection on a Wi-Fi Device... Problem.. Not many devices have those

3: Modems I use a Wi-Fi Modem, A linksys WGA-54G, it is mounted on a felt based slab of wood, so it can sit on the roof, ON a flag pole, currently in my rear (main) Bathroom, Wherever I need to put it to get the best signal. Wi-Fi Ranger makes one of these. My Linksys feeds the last Belkin router I'll ever buy,, Wi-Fi Ranger also makes a router, The router goes inside and sends re-routed Wi-Fi to your stuff (or hard wire)

Finally we have Wi-Fi Repeaters.. Project this afternoon is turning a Linksys WRT-54G into a Repeater.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #9

Wow; Great responses! Thanks to all for your time. I believe I've got the gist and will look at all your suggestions for a solution that fit's.

Safe adventures to all.
Hawgjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:40 PM   #10

We use Verizon Mi-Fi, little pocket size thing that we lay in handle of cabinet. Probably not what you are looking for but we use Verizon for phones, inter-net and house phone. Seems like most park wi-fi's aren't "big enough" to handle the crowd. One place we stayed cut you off after 30 minutes.

Tags
antenna