Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #1

Extra Straps For Holding Tanks

I've been thinking of installing some straps under the black and grey tanks like others have done. While inspecting the area I found two straps already installed. Was this done by PI and should I install more?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130566 (800x509).jpg
Views:	341
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	91977  
Rob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 05:11 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
If they are the flimsey ones I would recommend replacing with heavy straps. There is a thread on here somewhere with pictures of some of us doing it at a rally. I would try to get them fairly snug. If you get the wide straps with holes that hardware stores carry then you can leverage against the holes and frame. I'll try to find that thread when I have more time.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:35 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
My black water valve was leaking so I replaced the seals and replaced the grey water seals also since I had the bottom open. I filled my tanks with a garden hose to test the seals and sure enough the grey water strap broke, scared the hell out of me. I am glad this happened at home and not on the road. I will be putting extra straps on my grey and black water tanks.
Jhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:04 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhav View Post
My black water valve was leaking so I replaced the seals and replaced the grey water seals also since I had the bottom open. I filled my tanks with a garden hose to test the seals and sure enough the grey water strap broke, scared the hell out of me. I am glad this happened at home and not on the road. I will be putting extra straps on my grey and black water tanks.
Which straps broke? There are 4 or so internal straps on ach tank in the underbelly and 2 external you can see underneath. If an external strap broke then I would check the internal. There is a good chance they may be broke also. As I recall there are 2 internals running lengthwise with each tank, one end of which set you can see in the access panel, and 2 running perpendicular to the tanks which you can't see.

The internal straps sometimes break because room was not allowed for expansion and of course then the external straps receive the load and fail.. The internal straps should be set very loosely on the tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tanks.JPG
Views:	777
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	92024  
Old 04-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Here you go:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f116/hold...-152400-7.html

Check post #89
Old 04-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #6

Thanks Gary, it looks like the next stop is the hardware store.
Rob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
Which straps broke? There are 4 or so internal straps on ach tank in the underbelly and 2 external you can see underneath. If an external strap broke then I would check the internal. There is a good chance they may be broke also. As I recall there are 2 internals running lengthwise with each tank, one end of which set you can see in the access panel, and 2 running perpendicular to the tanks which you can't see.

The internal straps sometimes break because room was not allowed for expansion and of course then the external straps receive the load and fail.. The internal straps should be set very loosely on the tanks.

The external strap on the grey water tank broke. The strap itself didn't break, it was the screw that broke. The tank didn't look like it was sagging at all and I never thought of checking the internal straps. I will have to take a look at the internal straps, if I can see them with the access cover for the valves off.
Jhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:45 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
I hear what you're saying, you do need the room for expansion, but even if you have plenty of room, those tank swell to a huge size. I filled my grey without the straps just to see and test. I can't find the pic I took but the grey tank actually hung down about 6 inches below the frame. Unfreakin' believable. Even if you strapped the tanks fairly tight if they had good material, you lose considerable capacity. Looked like a 120 lbs. woman carrying twins!!!! The problem, IMHO, is weakness in straps and the screws are way too small. (I used like #14 with a built-in hex headed bolt). The photo you posted was the updated straps (plumber tape - gauge unknown). PI unfortunately only used that for a short time (ran out - didn't reorder) and they went back to the old stuff. Sad. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:41 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Pic #86 on the above link is a picture of my broken internal straps running lengthwise as seen thru the access panel. My external straps broke and that is what tipped me off to check the internal ones.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Pic #86 on the above link is a picture of my broken internal straps running lengthwise as seen thru the access panel. My external straps broke and that is what tipped me off to check the internal ones.
Just FYI.....my 05 Excel only had ONE strap running across the outside of the belly. My others have had 2 which I beefed up with 10 external straps. I had the inspection cover off the other day working with the SeeLevel gauges and check my internal length run straps and they are still good. But you are also talking me being super extra careful on my levels of what I carry when traveling. Shouldn't hafta, but I'm a bit paranoid due to my experience. Usually I don't carry over a 1/4 full (excluding fresh water tank) depending on expected road conditions. I will only travel across the park to dump with full tanks. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:35 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Stupid design and poor engineering. You should be able to travel with full tanks and not worry about failure. But, you already know how I feel about the holding tank straps. I had all internal straps and fasterners upgraded. Added external straps. So far, so good.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:21 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Stupid design and poor engineering. You should be able to travel with full tanks and not worry about failure. But, you already know how I feel about the holding tank straps. I had all internal straps and fasterners upgraded. Added external straps. So far, so good.
I don't travel great distances with my tanks full. I will carry about 2/3 full upon beginning a trip. I will carry full black or gray only to the nearest dump, which may be 60 mile max..
Old 04-21-2015, 07:19 AM   #13

Quote:
I filled my tanks with a garden hose to test the seals and sure enough the grey water strap broke,
Need to be careful not to overpressurise any large flat tank. Even two feet head of water above the top of the tank results in a pressure of 1psi inside the tank. 1psi over the number of square inches of the large side of a tank can put a lot of force on mountings and structure.

Tags
tank