RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #1

F-350 for the Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Wow, work! Congrats on the newly ordered truck. One thing I am concerned about. I see you ordered the 3.73 gear and I don't see anything about the "tow boss" package (which traditionally comes with a 4.30 gear).....did that part change with the new '11 Ford. I haven't kept up on the new Ford so am not sharp on the options, etc. Please fill ol' rockin' in!!! May want to start thread to stay on target. rockin'

PS.....sounds like Ms. Debra must be turning loose of some those hard earned bucks!! Must be wanting to stimulate the economy!!!

No, DW is still as hard to bargrin with as before, just a lot of 'Kissing up and a master bath remodel' to get it done. Still haven't seen the complete list.

2010 was the last year for the Tow Boss package. In 2011, the 3.73 is the only ratio that is available on the F350 DRW and they rate it at 20,300# with the 4x4. The 4.30 is available in the F-450 only. Don't know why the changes were make other than Fords new engine and the requirements of "BIG BROTHER". At that rating....and the Beast at 14,800# for a 9-10 day trip, I should be fine going forward regardless what they rate it at. Ford has just made come 'computer tuning' that increased the HP and Tourqe rating to 400 hp and 800 lbs. Plus including some frame changes that will increase the payload/towing ratings.

I started out looking at the 2010 F-350 with the Tow Boss package back in June. With the rebates it made it something to look at....but wasn't able to find the equipment/color we wanted. Most that were available were so loaded that the price difference between the 2010 and 2011 was just a few $,$$$ apart. So started looking at the 2011's in Ford and GM.

Chose the F-350 because it was a better fit for our needs. Having been a Chevy Silverado driver for 18 years and 4 trucks...it was easy and hard to switch to the F-350. But happy with the choice in the truck. The one thing that pushed me towards the Ford was the increase in height that GM keeps adding to their truck everytime they make a change.

As someone who work out of their truck at times,GM's new tailgate height is +38" and Ford just at 35" . Might not seem like much to see the figures but standing next to the truck it's noticable. The F-350 is the same height as my present HD C2500. After a lot of measuring....the Beast wouldn't set level hitched to the GM without changing the suspension bolts on the trailer. One additonal area of concern was the clearance between the top of the bed rail and the bottom of the sleeper.

So one of the major concerns for me was the height among others. Besides being the primary driver for my 84 year old Mother and several Family members...the +25 inch step in cab height was just to much. The F-350 4x4 is the same as my 4x2 HD. Go figure.

The other question Rockin' I know you want to ask is....Its the first year for Fords new 6.7 diesel....When I bought my present Durimax...it was it's first year also. One will have to wait and see.

workhorse

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #2

Workhorse,
Let me know how your new (awesome by the way!) Ford starts and stops your Excel. I have the 2005 with Tow Boss, still love my truck and pulls and stops great. But man I am eyeing those 2011's!!! My truck was my first Ford (ex Chevy guy) and I must say Ford does make a nice truck for pulling.

Take care,
Eddie

Eddie & Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post
No, DW is still as hard to bargrin with as before, just a lot of 'Kissing up and a master bath remodel' to get it done. Still haven't seen the complete list.

2010 was the last year for the Tow Boss package. In 2011, the 3.73 is the only ratio that is available on the F350 DRW and they rate it at 20,300# with the 4x4. The 4.30 is available in the F-450 only. Don't know why the changes were make other than Fords new engine and the requirements of "BIG BROTHER". At that rating....and the Beast at 14,800# for a 9-10 day trip, I should be fine going forward regardless what they rate it at. Ford has just made come 'computer tuning' that increased the HP and Tourqe rating to 400 hp and 800 lbs. Plus including some frame changes that will increase the payload/towing ratings.

I started out looking at the 2010 F-350 with the Tow Boss package back in June. With the rebates it made it something to look at....but wasn't able to find the equipment/color we wanted. Most that were available were so loaded that the price difference between the 2010 and 2011 was just a few $,$$$ apart. So started looking at the 2011's in Ford and GM.

Chose the F-350 because it was a better fit for our needs. Having been a Chevy Silverado driver for 18 years and 4 trucks...it was easy and hard to switch to the F-350. But happy with the choice in the truck. The one thing that pushed me towards the Ford was the increase in height that GM keeps adding to their truck everytime they make a change.

As someone who work out of their truck at times,GM's new tailgate height is +38" and Ford just at 35" . Might not seem like much to see the figures but standing next to the truck it's noticable. The F-350 is the same height as my present HD C2500. After a lot of measuring....the Beast wouldn't set level hitched to the GM without changing the suspension bolts on the trailer. One additonal area of concern was the clearance between the top of the bed rail and the bottom of the sleeper.

So one of the major concerns for me was the height among others. Besides being the primary driver for my 84 year old Mother and several Family members...the +25 inch step in cab height was just to much. The F-350 4x4 is the same as my 4x2 HD. Go figure.

The other question Rockin' I know you want to ask is....Its the first year for Fords new 6.7 diesel....When I bought my present Durimax...it was it's first year also. One will have to wait and see.

workhorse
Thanks work for a great and imformative response. I thought the tow boss and gear ratio thing was a switch in the new Ford setup. GM Duramax (3500 and under) has only offered the 3.73 gear since day one. I'm sure they look at a bunch of things when calculating gear ratio, not just towing. Good for you and even though you are leaving the GM family we still love ya!!! I've looked at Ford a number of times and like what I saw, but jumping ship would be hard. I think everyone has a good truck today. I also hear you on the the bed highth, but I was "told" the new '11 was gonna be higher than the '10 model. Good luck and keep us up on your adventure!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #4

Eddie, your right, I do think they make a nice truck and the feel and look over the hood is a different view after having the same one for the past eight years. With a delivery of 6-8 weeks, looks like the end of Nov before I do the breakin and tow to know what it might feel like. But expecting the experience to be a good one.

Rockin' your correct also, all the HD truck have something to offer. You just have to fit the truck to ones needs. Here's a link to a Shootout done by Pickuptrucks.com. Was interesting. All had plus and minus factors to consider. For me, I chose what works for me, but one can't go wrong with any of them.

Home today finishing off the bath..sink vanity just installed and no water leaks...yet...and installing the new toilet next. This truck better be worth it.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Workshop, nice truck...enjoy!!!
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #6

Well it finally happened.....6 weeks and 2 days after ordering our truck it arrived. Picked it up last Monday and have spent the week getting the after market items installed and adjusting the Reese hitch to the Beast.

We ordered the Ford 5th wheel prep kit installed and ordered the 25k Reese. Was an easy install and had to drop the height on the hitch one hole to have the Beast ride level with the truck. By making the adjustment at the hitch, it lowered it enough to allow the Roll-N-Lock cover to pass over the hitch and protect the hitch/bed when not in use.

First time owning a F350 DRW and have been surprised by the power and ride comfort. With 230 miles...haven't towed yet and have only ran over two curbs.....

workhorse

Old 11-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Nice set up Work. As for the curbs, I'm sure they won't be the last !
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Congrats again work!!! That is a beauty. Just got to thinkin'.....you got an fresh truck and and older rig......and we got a fairly fresh rig and an old Tug........If we got together we'd really be something...wouldn't we? Ha! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 11-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Congrats again work!!! That is a beauty. Just got to thinkin'.....you got an fresh truck and and older rig......and we got a fairly fresh rig and an old Tug........If we got together we'd really be something...wouldn't we? Ha! rockin'
Four peas in a pod
Old 11-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
Four peas in a pod
Yeah.....I can see it now....we'd pull into a park.....work is setting up shop helpin' folks with their rigs....I'm BSing folks telling them "all that I know" and pouring fine wine while work is sweatin' his tail off. Sounds fair to me!

Still, I can't believe there weren't any "LGT" comments......are you softening in your old age.....yeah right!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
No, I just have respect for some nice guys.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
No, I just have respect for some nice guys.
Oh I see...... What about me???
Old 11-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Oh I see...... What about me???

This is but I just noticed in your signature that you have "Auxilarly Fuel Filter". Is that for you to help get rid of your favorite fuel

red
Old 11-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Darn, that pretty good for this early in the AM!!!