Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Rusty, a friend has had horrible frame problems with his DRV.

He has expressed his problems on another forum.

I will send you a link if you are interested.
Oh, I'm sure there's always one in the woodwork somewhere. Strange that his "expressed problems" didn't show up on my Google search, isn't it? Send the link if you wish....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #16

Excel Owners Club
As with anything manufactured there seems to always be a few lemons and those are the problem products that people don't hesitate to talk about.; no matter if it's a potato peeler or an RV. Seldom do you see posts from people who are having or have had absolutely no issues with their product. It's just not human nature I guess because it appears as if the person is bragging.....nanny nanny boo boo. We always want to invest in something that is absolutely perfect and never has issues. Good luck in whatever home on wheels is purchased. And after a while if there are no issues with something.....you have bragging rights and I hope you will, just like the MS person did about theirs ✌life is good.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Oh, I'm sure there's always one in the woodwork somewhere. Strange that his "expressed problems" didn't show up on my Google search, isn't it? Send the link if you wish....

Rusty
Here you go, enjoy:
Jayco/Lippert Frames?? - Page 3 - My RV Talk
http://www.myrvtalk.com/rv-manufactu...tml#post143037

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by didymop View Post
....Seldom do you see posts from people who are having or have had absolutely no issues with their product. It's just not human nature I guess because it appears as if the person is bragging.....
I have been extremely pleased with my 2003 Sunnybrook Titan 29DBS travel trailer. It has been next to bullet proof over almost 10 years of use. The only significant problems were tire related, and that's not the trailer manufacturers fault.

I hope my new Excel Winslow lives up to the standards I'm accustom.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Difficult though it was to navigate, I read the entire thread (I think!) and saw nothing at all about DRV frame failures. All the discussion was regarding Jayco RVs and their "inheritance" of Lippert as a frame manufacturer (having owned three Jaycos, I know that Jayco traditionally used Leland Engineering frames, but Leland was purchased by Dexter whose frame operations were subsequently purchased by Lippert.) Even at that, there were no actual frame failures mentioned. Am I missing something??

Rusty
Old 09-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Difficult though it was to navigate, I read the entire thread (I think!) and saw nothing at all about DRV frame failures. All the discussion was regarding Jayco RVs and their "inheritance" of Lippert as a frame manufacturer (having owned three Jaycos, I know that Jayco traditionally used Leland Engineering frames, but Leland was purchased by Dexter whose frame operations were subsequently purchased by Lippert.) Even at that, there were no actual frame failures mentioned. Am I missing something??

Rusty
Rusty:

The first link was directly to this message. I reposted here to save you the trouble.

Hey ....,

This is my second new Mobile Suite and last I had an 06 which turned out to be a pretty good trailer and this junk 09 which is not half the trailer that my 06 was.

The biggest problem with my 09 Mobile Suite is what Lippert calls lost frame camber. Lippert and DRV both know about this issue and have chose to ignore it. They are both very poorly run company's.

The term lost camber does not sound like the correct description to me but what it means is that the frame has sagged in front of the axles and behind the axles.

DRV uses a flush fit slide when you have frame camber trouble one or more slides will not fit flush when they are retracted.

Lipperts fix (not mine) to this is to jack the trailer up on the rear end until the tires are off the ground, remove the underbelly all of the insulation and weld steel plates to the inside of the frame tubes. On my trailer they welded 7 plates that were 10"x24"x3/16" to the curb side of the frame and one piece that was 12"x14'x1/2" to the street side. 270 more pounds for me to carry around along with losing 270 pounds of useful load.

There were two guys one did the welding the other had a hand pump weed sprayer with water in it. His job was to put out the fires that got started by the welding of the plates. There is a black moisture barrier that catches on fire when they weld. When they were done 6 hours later they put some kind of black tape over the spots that were burned. Wasn't real happy with that. I do have to say that the welder did now how to weld as I inspected the welds when they were done.

Lippert has several teams that travel all over the US repairing these junk frames. One of these teams was sent to my house to repair this frame. My trailer sets on a flat and level concrete pad. The problem is that when they jacked the trailer up on the rear no precise measurements were taken and a permanent twist was welded into the frame.

When you level the trailer in the living room the head of the bed is so low that you cannot sleep in it the blood runs to your head. So we level the bedroom and leave it at that. When you set in the recliners in the living room you are looking at the crown molding.

For me the only repair would be to destroy this trailer if you don't have a good frame which is the foundation of the trailer you don't have a good trailer.

This trailer no doubt was a quota trailer the Amish craftsmen had to hurry and get this one done so that they could make quota and get whatever reward DRV gives for getting out a certain number of trailer in a certain amount of time.

You asked about problems with the unit I will list a few but this post is already too long. Most all caused by the brilliant quota system that DRV management in their vast wisdom implemented.

Not one door in the inside matched with the others as far as alignment.

Insulation left out of front cap and rear cap.
Power management system incorrectly wired.
Level up incorrectly plumbed.
Turn signals never worked.
Entrance door not fitting correctly (Bad Frame)
Screw heads twisted off and then stuck down with caulk
Kitchen island not secured to floor.
Kitchen flooring has bubbles.
Street side top corner of trailer 1 3/4" lower than curb side Improper frame repair.
Dresser drawers fell down in back only two screws that were screwed into the luan holding them in place.

The list goes on and on I could keep at it all day long.

That's a little taste of what I've got Stan but it's only 86500.00 and change shouldn't expect to much for that meager amount.

This is the sugar coated version I really don't have the space or the time and don't want to bore you to much more to tell you how I really feel.

Sorry for the extremely long post I'll try and not do that in the future.

As always good camping

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 09-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Rusty:

Here is the message from the second link.

Lippert I can tell you first had about Lippert this junk 09 Mobile Suite I have currently is setting on one of their defective frames. Thats the reason this trailer is junk.

I can tell you without reservation that a Lippert frame will be a deal breaker for me on another trailer if I am ever able to trade this unit off.

I certainly hope that Jim is right about Jayco demanding they produce a quality frame. In my opinion they are not capable of making a quality product of any kind.

There welding is the worst I have every seen.

I originally was interested in a Hitchhiker Champagne I spoke with Ed Downs next to the head hog of NuWa about their decision to go with Lippert frames at year before lasts RV show in Kansas City. He informed me that they fired Lippert after a very very short run of frames and went back to the Youngs frames.

He also told me that the Young frames were pricey but my response to him was that I would be willing to pay more to get a quality product.

No Lippert products for me from now on.

As always good camping

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 09-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Rusty:

The first link was directly to this message. I reposted here to save you the trouble.
Strange, the first link took me to the following message:

Quote:
Just learned that Jayco will have frames by Lippert via Lippert/Dexter. Lippert has a bad rep. They've been noted for lousy welds, problems with slides, etc. I'm hoping Jayco will demand quality, but I'm afraid they'll take what they get. Any frame experts care to comment?
At any rate, taken at face value, it sounds like your friend has an untenable situation on his hands. Perhaps he should hire an attorney - or an arsonist!! (Just kidding with the latter ) Sorry that I can't relate to his difficulties vis-a-vis my personal experience.....

Hope he bought that Hitchhiker before NuWa shuts their order book on Sept 15 (IIRC). If not, I'm sure that, with the attitude displayed in his posts, any number of manufacturers would be lining up to solicit his business. His phone is probably ringing off the hook even as we speak.

Rusty