Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Filling the fresh water tank without a hose.

So how do you fill the fresh water tank of a 2010 30RSO Limited if you don't have a hydrant? The only connection I see is for a hose, but if you're boondocking there must be a way to pour water into the fresh water tank. The dealer just said this setup was new, and didn't appear to have the fill port they were used to seeing. Water is going to be scarce here for another week or so until the parks turn the water back on, so I thought I would haul it in from town the old fashion way. janieD's DH
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #2

Could you "pull" it in via the line for the antifreeze? (Since we have a line in the basement to suck up antifreeze, I figure everyone has one but that may not be true.)
Old 04-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #3

I use a 12volt bass boat bildge pump and a 120 qt ice chest IKE
uism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #4

I noticed that they removed the hose fill from the side when I was in The factory this week. Maybe they will make it an option. You really need the outside water fill if you are at corp parks and state parks. The small 12 volt pump is what I used on my Class A that was set up to only fill from the water manifold.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
The fill-tube is how we add Clorox mixed w/water to purify the fresh water holding tank ... Hmmmm.
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:45 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does the anti-freeze pick-up line feed into the water tank, or directly thru the pump and into the RV's water lines to the faucets, bypassing the tank?

I could not feed into my water tank that way, I'm pretty sure. FWIW
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Whaaaa? That don't make no sense.

Call the factory and ask 'em. And post the answer for us. There must be a way....

If not, they should sell the trailer with a full tank of water!
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What doesn't make sense? Any RV's water pump draws from the tank and feeds into the cold water header, and on to whatever outlets or hot water tank inlet.

The winterizing antifreeze inlet plumbs via a diverting valve into the inlet side of the pump. Not into the tank (on mine at least)

When it is used to draw antifreeze into the water system, that antifreeze doesn't go into the tank first.

Thus, my logic says you can't fill up the water tank by drawing fresh water into the antifreeze inlet.

(It could be done with a valve, normally closed, between the cold water header and the tank inlet. I just don't believe that is standard.)

Maybe things are done differently on 5'ers vs motorhomes like mine.

fun
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Ours is the same way as Janie's......since we've never been to a park that didn't have water......I never thought of that. I did, however, wonder if for some reason you needed to clean out a fresh tank (we FT and never have to do it cause the water gets used or changed every 3 weeks if clorinated or 2 weeks if well water). I called PI and they said.....good question....I'll get with Curtis and get back with ya.....which they did and he said don't really know either. Later, I thought a person could use a bug sprayer tool that hooks up to the garden hose. Just add a bleach/water mixture to the jar and then hook up to the shore water (may take some connection working).....But that doesn't answer your question....this was just my observation. Gotta be someone real smart that has a simple solution. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Well this will frustrate my DH, we will probably stop by a friends on the way to another park on Sunday and fill the tank again. They will turn the water on in the parks around here in about a week. He was thinking about how you could get water when boondocking if you didn't want to hitch up and go somewhere. I know he'll be checking out this when he gets off work tonight.. Thanks for all the help.
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
When I fill my fresh water tank we just use the valve inside the basement to fill it, I can see the general level or looking at the monitor valve inside. My 2009 33RSE has the external fill hole, but we have always been connected to an existing water supply before filling it. I always keep at least a half a tank of fresh water as the resort here always is having a water emergency with folks backing over their faucets when trying to park. Nothing like trying to get ready for work and no water to shower with! When we travel we only carry ~10 gallons of fresh water if I know we have some significant hills or passes to climb.

Dave
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
OP wants to fill her tank without a hydrant, i.e. without water pressure.

I fill our 2007 33RSE with the external water filler, i.e. the little square door with the lock on it, and a plastic filler cap inside. Stick a hose in there, use siphon action or a 12v pump from our 55 gallon drum to drain water into the fresh water tank. Not thru the antifreeze siphon tube in the basement. And not using the diverter valve, since that method requires city water pressure.

Which is why I said, "Whaaa." Don't you have that filler door?

Rockin wouldn't know. I remember he once said that he was roughing it if the park didn't have a ballroom. That was after he inferred we were living like "peasants" because we drained our waste water into a blue boy. You wait for End of Days. We'll be ready when all those fancy RV parks fall into the earth.

PS If you want, I'll post a pic of the filler door and tube. Darkness covers the earth right now.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:44 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Bruce, your rig is soooooooo old and you behind times, plus you don't know what the heck your talking about......no, the new ones don't have a door, lock, cap and etc. FW fill is done with the shore water and a on-off valve in the utility center (next to the Manablock) Wake up dude!!!

BTW.....you'll freak out when I tell you we are going to stay two days/notes in Zion National Park with only 30A electric....no water or sewer. This is a new one for us. First time to overnight in a state or national park!!! Can we handle it? Do I need bear repellent? I can feel the hot tub withdrawl sendrome coming on!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Bruce, your rig is soooooooo old and you behind times, plus you don't know what the heck your talking about......no, the new ones don't have a door, lock, cap and etc. FW fill is done with the shore water and a on-off valve in the utility center (next to the Manablock) Wake up dude!!!

BTW.....you'll freak out when I tell you we are going to stay two days/notes in Zion National Park with only 30A electric....no water or sewer. This is a new one for us. First time to overnight in a state or national park!!! Can we handle it? Do I need bear repellent? I can feel the hot tub withdrawl sendrome coming on!!!
Since I own an even older ones....here's is a picture of my 'filler door' and I also have the ability to fill my tank using the shore water hose bibs also, controlled by a valve near the water pump. Both have worked well.

When I get my next Excel Allowance, I will have to use some of it to buy soap to wash the Beast and make an effort to wash behind the door this time.

Do I need bear repellent, I think they have 'Big Cats' there!