Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2009, 05:49 AM   #1

First impressions after 5 real days on real roads

OK, this is going to come across as negative, but keep in mind it takes a whole lot of negative to over take how I feel about Information Technology!!!!!

1) 8,000 lb Dexter axles rated at 7,500 lbs @120 psi on 17.5 inch Michelin XTAs. Really?!!!! We launched our coffe table from it's storage in the recliners across our trailer yesterday. And yesterday was the smoothest of the 5 days of travel. However, don't say that inanmate objects don't have soul. The divets in the walls appear to have artistic value. Dropping tire pressure to 100 this morning as soon as we get the slides in, and I can easily reach the tires.

2) Hose reel. Sorry, but it's a gadget. Reason: the connection inside the basement where the hose attaches to the check value is a "lefty-loosey" connection. I found out last night that it's also a "righty-loosey" connection, too. I assume this is also a victim of the 120 psi tire pressure vs the interstate system. The hose reel is now regulated to hose storage, and we're using the exterior freshwater connection until we figure out how to tighten the inside storage connection. However, everything has a consequence. The leak (spray) soaked the hydraulic jack controller before we found out what was going on (see "washer" below). Hopefully, it's dried out enough by this morning to allow us to raise the jacks and leave later this morning.

3) Dryer. An outstanding unit and a surprise for us in how well it works. Perfect for drying the towels we use to soak up the water leak from the washer.

4) Washer. Appears the cold water input line has developed a leak above the basement but below the catch pan for the washer. So much for the catch pan. Washer currrently just dead weight, now. Serious consideration being given to having the dealer remove the washer & dryer, and we'll put in shelves for storage. I now consider these things as expensive options designed to create problems we don't need.

5) Pivot-EZ Hose storage. Great idea, but campgrounds aren't designed for it. We've having to make desicisions on whether to have the dining room slide out, the trailer in the campsite, or use the Pivot-EZ. Since the washer is no longer useful, that decision has become significantly easier to make.

6) TV remore. If the TV remote is designed to be used for the TV, why do I have to press the TV button on the remote to make it operate the TV? Shouldn't pressing the power button on the TV remote tell it it's running the TV? (Oophs, that one's gettin' real close to an "IT" issue. )

7) Exterior & trim screws. Made a separate post earlier. These things will constantly be a thorn in my side.

8) I've given up on the TV in the bedroom. I've had five days to try all combnations of buttons with no success. Another useless, dead-weight item I'm dragging across the US.

Lesson learned: During the predelivery inspection, when the dealer talks to you about an item and says "I don't know how that works.", check that a) you have the instruction booklet and b) read the instructions and check that the item really works before you leave. This isn't about the dealer. This is about ensuring you do a really thorough PDI. It's clear we did not.

Everything else working great. All other problems are of ID-10-T code type problem such as: "Why do I constantly think I have to raise the leveler legs on the side where the bubble is high?", etc.

Hopefully, no more to follow. David
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:14 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
David -- 'hopefully' this is your shake down cruise and all the bugs have surfaced. However, with RVs, there will always be issues to deal with -- ours is going on 5-years old and we are still having problems. 'Nature of the beast' so to speak??
Old 06-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Davy,
Chief is right....you spend the first year getting the bugs out, the second year it's mostly having fun with maintenance, and from then on it fix, fix, fix. The stuff you have is "stupid" stuff that should have been caught at the factory or dealer on PDI. We had one of the 2 hr. PDIs cause we didn't know any better. Now a dealer will agree to a 6 hr. walk thru over 3 days at the dealer or he/she won't be our dealer. Simple as that. We know what and how to do it with 4 years of FTing. You have enough stuff go wrong without "stupid" stuff to deal with. I still believe you have one best rigs in the industry. Good luck my friend! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Davy,

Finally something I am good at, giving encouragement. He is a little of my experience. It takes about a month to find all the flaws that were missed by the dealer or the factory and after those are done, it will be much better. RockheadTommie is a fixer. Sometimes, he actually tears stuff up so hea can brag that he fixed it. I promise it just ain't as bad as he makes out. He performs maintenance on his maintenance items because he is a type A and Miss Donna runs him out of the trailer.

The washer, I had your same leak. Discovered it was the hose washer leaking. Start there. If you can get the leak stopped, your wife will be a lot happier WITH a washer and dryer, I promise. Other folks will tell you different. Washing once a week takes at least 3 hours and ruins a day when you could be exploring the area you are parked in at the time.

About the tires, I worry about dropping the pressure. 120 lb tires with 100 lbs I'm afraid will create too much sidewall flex. Side wall flex creates heat and heat is not a friend of tires. It will destroy them. Talk to a reputable tire dealer or go read here to learn more about running tires slack............
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/tirecare/

I'd guess you are through the worst of it already. More fun coming.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt";514490]Davy,

Finally something I am good at, giving encouragement. He is a little of my experience. It takes about a month to find all the flaws that were missed by the dealer or the factory and after those are done, it will be much better. RockheadTommie is a fixer. Sometimes, he actually tears stuff up so hea can brag that he fixed it. I promise it just ain't as bad as he makes out. He performs maintenance on his maintenance items because he is a type A and Miss Donna runs him out of the trailer.

The washer, I had your same leak. Discovered it was the hose washer leaking. Start there. If you can get the leak stopped, your wife will be a lot happier WITH a washer and dryer, I promise. Other folks will tell you different. Washing once a week takes at least 3 hours and ruins a day when you could be exploring the area you are parked in at the time.

About the tires, I worry about dropping the pressure. 120 lb tires with 100 lbs I'm afraid will create too much sidewall flex. Side wall flex creates heat and heat is not a friend of tires. It will destroy them. Talk to a reputable tire dealer or go read here to learn more about running tires slack............
[URL="http://www.goodyear.com/rv/tirecare/
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/tirecare/[/url]

I'd guess you are through the worst of it already. More fun coming.

John has some good points...got me pretty well figured out....but the poor boy don't know, half the time, when his rig is broke!!!

I gotta go out see if I can find something broke. Just kiddin' Workhorse....I wonder how John classifies you???? You make me look like a piker!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #6

Five days on road

davydee:

What dealer did you purchase your trailer from? What did you not do at time of delivery knowing what you know now? My trailer is supposed to be in about middle of August!!! Any suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Carroll&Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Double D, Once I again I welcome you to the Excel forum, but now you are becoming a seasoned Excellent person. You’re knowledge is becoming more valuable as Carroll & Eva are wanting you to share it! It seems for me every time I travel it is a new adventure with my rig. I always stop after the first half hour and access that everything is going to travel ok. And guess what the last three times, I keep forgetting to strap that dang pocket door. Now I have a rear galley and I usually put a toaster or coffee pot in the microwave for travel. This last trip I had nothing in there and everything made it ok but next time I am going to take the carousal tray out and place it in my bath towel door. I have had the shower head fly off one trip so now I put in on the floor of my shower for fear if it comes off again it might break my shower stall.

I have air bags on my truck to soften the ride for the trailer but sometimes I misjudge the road and hit a bump way to hard. One time I opened my closet door and all my clothes on hangers where laying on the floor in the right order with all the hangers in the clothes. One thing I check regularly is the tension screws for the rollers on the closet doors. The seem to vibrate loose very easily. Here is a thread where we shared some of our adventures, but honestly when pulling something down the highway 65 to 75 MPH. it is amazing how good an Excel does stand up to what I have heard from folks with SOBs.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highplains Drifter View Post
Double D, Once again I welcome you to the Excel forum, but now you are becoming a seasoned Excellent person. You’re knowledge is becoming more valuable as Carroll & Eva are wanting you to share it!

Here is a thread where we shared some of our adventures......
David it does get better! The more you use your unit and get familiar with it...the less things will happen and the more it becomes second nature and you won't have to think about the TV button on the remote and having enough waste hoses to park anywhere you want. Coffee tables might be another story ?

Highplains Drifter's link reminds us of some of the things that can and have happened on a trip. The DW and I try to go for a good walk in a local park on Sunday mornings when we get a chance. This past Sunday as we were stopped to cross the highway, a class-C MH went past with its TV antenna up! Don't know where he came from as there are no local campgrounds...at any rate, we caught up with the unit....DW rolled down the window, I blew the horn, and when the driver looked over....she gave the universal hand/arm signal that the TV antenna was up.....He waved and pulled over. No harm and good outcome.

Agree with John about the air pressure. Also in checking the water connections on the back of the washer and the valve set.

workhorse
Old 06-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I have to tell you about something coming back from the family reunion. Highplains Drifter was talking about softening the ride well I don't think I have to worry about that.

Saturday night at the reunion I grabbed a styrofoam cup of ice tea for dinner. I kept filling it up during the night and when we came back from the noise parade, I put it on the overhead shelf above the bed to have during the night. It was half full and I forgot about it.

We left Sunday and went from Smith Center to Sidney, NE to stay at Cabela's for the night. From there drove down 80 and then 25 into Longmont, all total 475 miles. It was after we started cleaning the trailer out that we found the tea. A little moldy but nothing spilled.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #10

Really sorry about the "break in" issues.
What are the recommended tire pressures on the Excels . I am remembering less than 120 on my 35 MKO. I know on the bus it is more like 105 on the steer axle and 95 on the dually's.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #11

Just checkin' in. I appreciate all the encouragement, but it's getting a little old. We add to the list each day we've moved.

Thursday, after 30 minutes being unable to get the safety flag on our 24K Signature Series hitch to move so we could insert the pins, we called for help. Seems the lever the hitch pin must press against was bent and a quick couple of pulls with a wrench and we were fine.

Stayed put Friday.

This morning we found the front road side leg of our jacks wouldn't move. Eventually we played around and got it to move in synch with the other front leg so we could hitch. Trying to come off the truck this evening at the Billings, MT KOA, the same thing happened. Hydraulic fluid level looks fine. Cannot see any leaks. Unsure if this is a result of the controller getting soaked with the hose reel connection leaking or if we may have damaged the leg somehow while trying to get that safety flag to move on the hitch. We'll see how it goes in the morning, but expect to stay an extra day or two to have this looked at.

We're doing fine though - we've just had a thunder bumper blast thorugh the area. No leaks, no drips. DW says the convection microwave is a 10 in her book. I've had a hot shower and the water didn't taste like JP5 - live really is good!

David
Old 06-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carroll&Eva View Post
davydee:

What dealer did you purchase your trailer from? What did you not do at time of delivery knowing what you know now? My trailer is supposed to be in about middle of August!!! Any suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Carroll&Eva, I sent you a PM. Did you get it? I've had unreliable wifi for the last few days and noticed that a couple of my posts never made it on the forum. David
Old 06-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojavaphil View Post
Really sorry about the "break in" issues.
What are the recommended tire pressures on the Excels . I am remembering less than 120 on my 35 MKO. I know on the bus it is more like 105 on the steer axle and 95 on the dually's.
Our sticker indicates 120 psi for axles rated at 7,500 lbs. I understand the reasoning that 7,500 lbs is there even though I have 8,000 lb axles. I have Michelin XTAs and at 120 psi, the load tables indicate a max load of 9,610 lbs per axle. I've lowered mine to 105 lbs for an axle load rating of 8,660 lbs. Unfortunately, until I can find someone who can the weight each wheel is carrying, I really don't know what I need.

David
Old 06-20-2009, 11:30 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Boy I could tell you similar stories of my first months and year. Still messing around with this system and that. Despite it all, living in an RV is worth it.

Two comments
1 Pivot-EZ is one of my favorite options. With experience, you will find the best place to park vis a vis the sewer port. True, some parks have sewer pipes standing way to far above the ground. But I use all the time. Rockin showed me a good addition too - a ten foot length of COEX pipe from Home Depot of Lowes. Cut it to length to store in the Pivot-EZ. Then store the remaining section elsewhere. Right now I'm using both sections to protect my Pivot-EZ hose plus another ten feet of hose.
2 Hose Reel - Mine leaked at first too, not properly tightened. Now I use it exclusively for fresh water. Once you get the plumbing working properly, you may too.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote