Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #1

Question Frame/tank layout 2007 26TRW

I'm planning on doing a disc brake conversion on 26 TRW. I'm looking for a diagram of the frame showing tanks and other vital organs to avoid drilling something that I shouldn't when securing the new brake lines.

Thanks
TEM48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #2

On my unit, my waste holding tanks are located in the front of the unit and suspended below the floor of my storage compartments and the water tank above them. They, as well as the piping for the waste system is located behind the 'underbelly' fabric. It is all accessible and visual by removing and entering the the access panel. On my unit the area just forward of the axles to the rear are open and easy to work within.

Could you provide more information as to where you will be running new wire or tubing and the type/number needed?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #3

I am planning on mounting the hydraulic actuator in front storage area, running the lines out in the left side propane tank area, down to the frame. The lines will run along the frame till I get near the front axle then it will be routed inward to allow teeing off to the front axle where the least axle movement will take place. I plan on leaving the lines exposed for ease of inspection. As long as I don't have to worry about hitting any vital organs in the area around the axles then I should be alright just locating a metal framed cross brace to attach the brake lines.
TEM48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM48 View Post
I'm looking for a diagram of the frame showing tanks and other vital organs to avoid drilling something that I shouldn't when securing the new brake lines.
To answer that question, I don't know of a published diagram that gives the layout on any of the units.

As I have not seen a Excel 26TRW, I can only refer to MY unit and you can check to see if they are similar. If you are planning on drilling into the bottom of the frame from the front compartment to the area forward of the axles, you should be ok in doing that. On MY unit, and possibly yours if the 50 amp power plug is in the rear, the 4-wire 50 amp wire bundle enters the frame at the rear and exits just forward of the front axle, where it enters the basement and routed to the electrical breaker panel. If unsure you should check with PI on its routing. Other than that short run, MY frame is what you see and hollow inside. The spring shackles are attached to an additional tube/channel that is welded to the bottom of the main frame rails and should be hollow and allow clamps/holddowns to be attached.

As an option to drilling the frame to go from the front to the axle area....the underbelly fabric is attached to what appears a 2x2 wood frame that runs front to back and is screwed to the frame . You should be able to feel it as you rub/push on the fabric as it attaches to the frame area. Should be able to route yours lines along either.

Hope that helped.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM48 View Post
I'm planning on doing a disc brake conversion on 26 TRW. I'm looking for a diagram of the frame showing tanks and other vital organs to avoid drilling something that I shouldn't when securing the new brake lines.

Thanks
Hi TEM,

My '05 Excel 35 FLR has had the disk brake conversion done by MorRyde. It's a Kodiak system and Brakerite actuator (also belongs to Kodiak). I watched the installation and he mounted the actuator in the curbside front bay area on the floor (we call it the garage area). They drilled a hole in the floor about 3/8" and put in a grommet to protect the hydraulic brake line from the floor. Ran the line along the frame all the way to the axles. I liked the Kodiak because they use the model 215 series GM pads, which is widely used across the GM line and available at every parts house in the US You can get ceramic pads of less than $50 a set. Dexter pads are less readily available and VERY EXPENSIVE! This system works very good and we FT and I've used it for about 2 yearts now. No problems or running into anything along the frame rail on mine. My lines are all external also. Our uses normal DOT 3 fluid. HTHs rockintom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote