Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2014, 07:27 AM   #1

Front Landing Gear Problem

This is somewhat long and confusing. When hooking up to tow our 2008 33TKE Limited the Front Landing Gear “sometimes” would not retract until I extended it an inch or two. Then when it did retract it would “sometimes” extend while towing, but just a few inches. When I would completely cycle it, “sometimes” it would stay in a retracted position, but not always. This condition continued to get worse (things never get better do they?) and finally got to a point that it would not stay in a retracted position. It would extend without any input.

While in AZ a RV repair facility found the Front Landing Gear “solenoid-valve” was leaking (internally) and replaced it. All was well for a few cycles, but now the LG is extending and will not stay retracted. When I release the retract switch it immediately extends to the ground. I “pined” the jack in a retracted position in order to continue to my destination in MO. On arrival I found the pin (a ¼ inch stainless steel shoulder bolt) bent into a horseshoe shape. This indicates considerable hydraulic pressure on the “extend” side of the hydraulic ram.

I have checked for stray voltage at the solenoid and found none, all fittings are tight and locked with the jam nut, there are no visible leaks at any fittings, on lines, or on or around the cylinder, manifold, pump or reservoir, there is adequate fluid in the reservoir.

Looks to me like the “solenoid – valve” needs to be replaced again – any other suggestions? Has anyone had such a problem? I wonder if something is causing the leaking problem other than a bad valve.
200833TE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2014, 07:34 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Its most likely a Lippert system. Call Lippert for some troubleshooting suggestions. Some early hydraulic systems were trouble. Rockin Tom will jump in soon..I think he had a few early units.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:18 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
I agree with Chief. Based on the info you gave us here, I suspect you have a solenoid(s) with some trash in the valve. That seemed to be an issue on early models. I had something similar happen and I got on the internet and got a pdf file, I think from Lippert and figured out which solenoid serviced the area that I was having problem with. I then, turned the Allen headed screw (I think 5/32") in the end of the solenoid clockwise to unseat the valve in the end of solenoid and run the pump back and forth several times. This flushes the pintle area of the solenoid (hoping to flush any debris out of that area). Then reseat the screw (turned counter clock wise to close).

You may want to search this (Excel) forum for more info as there was some info on this issue back a few months. HTHs rockin' Let us know how this turns out.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:20 AM   #4

Yes it is Lipper system, thanks. I have them on my list of folks to contact.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:49 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Are you satisfied the switch is ok?
Old 09-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
Are you satisfied the switch is ok?
Yes, I checked for voltage at the solenoid with the batt sw both in the on and off position.