Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2007, 12:44 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Could we be considered "self entertaining"? I think so!

Oh yeah, welcome back Chief!

I've been keeping an eye on these rat scallions while you been indispose!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:02 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
you guys need to get a room. . .

maybe a padded one!

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Doug -- back to the original subject of this topic , I have not tried the gelcoat restoration product I referenced. I have read favorable comments on other forums about Vertglas. I've replaced my front cap twice, once due to my own ignorance and the second time due to cracks in the replaced cap. My frontcap(s) have not had a chance to yellow!
Old 09-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
as long as we are back on topic, you might want to check out boatersworld.com

I have been told that boat fibreglass is subject to more water and UV damage than an RV sees. Not sure if this is true or not, but I have seen 303 products sold for less in marinas than RV stores.

I used stuff called Interlux stain remover for exhast and lake scum stains on my 21' Wellcraft cuddy hull a few years ago with excellant results, but have never tried it on my RV's (sold boat to get my first 5th wheel)

Doug

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:12 AM   #19

This is what I've had success with, removal: Mequiar's #44 and #49, Turtle Wax Rubbing compound (prem grade liquid, new). Finish: Turtle's Platinum liquid wax and Mequiar's Flagship liquid which I do not have a histroy with yet but has a great shine...as my applicators get caked or need cleaning, I soak/wash them in a Zep's Citrus cleaner/degreaser.

Work in progress, using a Hitachi SP18VA polisher has helped alot, still have some streaking on the front cap and side-vertical areas of the roof caps. White scotch-brite pads with compounds have helped but a slight shadow remains, depending on veiwing angle. Might try a 600 or higher wet paper on a less visible area when life premits.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:18 AM   #20

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Might try a 600 or higher wet paper on a less visible area when life permits </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to the forum Workshop, glad to have you and thanks for your contribution.

I want to share my experience on the wetsand issue. I started up top of my nose with 1400 paper and it left scratches pretty bad. I went to 2000 and it did the job, and still has very minor scratches after rubbing out. Also use lots of warm liquid dish washing soapy water when wetsanding with a block sander (on the flat surfaces). Sure makes the job easier. FYI
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 10-01-2007, 04:27 AM   #21

Tom, thanks for your reply to my post. You are correct about the 600 wet paper, it does scratch as will higher grades if not used properly and with proper equipment (sanding blocks etc).

Had just finished a repair on the front cap where the prior had mounted a Level Master and had 8 screw holes and rust streaks. Had initally used the 600 to take the epoxy putty close to level before changing to higher grades. You must know how it is, last thing done...first thing remembered. Glad that you noticed that.

Life did permit this weekend. Washed the Excel to remove Florida "lovebugs" from the nose and decided to try the wet sand on a section of roof where there was rust staining resulting from the original roof vent above the shower. It did remove the stains and did leave the surface whiter. After drying and polishing, looked better but not sure if doing the complete roof would be worth it, it is a process and time consuming as in your earier post.

For me, the risk of wet sanding large areas outside of a repair is something that carries a lot of risk. Think I will stay with compounds and waxes till something easier comes along.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:56 AM   #22

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It did remove the stains and did leave the surface whiter. After drying and polishing, looked better but not sure if doing the complete roof would be worth it, it is a process and time consuming as in your earier post. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG...don't talk about polishing or waxing the roof on this site or you'll get chastised (folks think/know I'm nuts!). I waxed mine until it died (oxidized after about 15 months old) so bad it wouldn't hold the wax for more than a day or two. I'm kinda glad cause doing that roof is a bit**. I still do the sides of the roof cause it visible, but it's a waste of time cause it's dead too.

Bottom line is, I only did the nose cause it's so important to have it nice and it gets so much washing due to bugs. I will try to keep it waxed once a month (overkill) to attempt to keep it nice. We'll see! Time will tell. Tom
Old 10-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #23

Excel Owners Club
I agree with Tom, I gave up on waxing my roof this summer. Too much work for little return. I wax the nose once a month and it still does not look as good as the sides which I wax every 3 months.

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:43 AM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Earl Shibe, "any car, any color for $99.95". Probably $399.95 now.

Back in the day there was a discount autobody place in my home town who would advertise the above...instead of all this waxing, it may be better to just paint them white once a year and have new decals put on.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:53 AM   #25

Excel Owners Club
OK Paul,

You reckon your a bit OCD...like me....wanta start a club? Ha!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #26

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MakinSmoke:
Earl Shibe, "any car, any color for $99.95". Probably $399.95 now.

Back in the day there was a discount autobody place in my home town who would advertise the above...instead of all this waxing, it may be better to just paint them white once a year and have new decals put on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you priced the front cap decal?.....that will stop your silly thought in it's track!

Hope your having fun at the HDTs rally. Remember that is where the "real men" meet! Can I get a witness?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #27

Excel Owners Club
Makingsmoke and Rockingtom---I made the mistake of telling my CPA, overkill oriented better half that you two wax your units at least 6 times a year. Her comment was , "them 'WE' will do it 7 times." The next day, she was up on the roof--- (05, 36CLO, Limited) waxing and instructed me to get busy helping her. Glad to read today that Tom doesn't do roofs anymore. Wheh, good thing to report for at least some relief.

Virgil, my wife (Sandy) wants to know that if your wife sews, quilts, etc, what part of the 36CLO did she take over? I told Sandy that I believe I read that you stay in the VOLVO much of the time. Did I a yarn? Looking forward to crossing trails. Maverik

05 Excel CLO36
maverik/gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #28

The Vertglas sounds like it may be the way to go.
Rockintom, do you know if something like ProtectAll can be used on top of the Vertglas?

Thanks to all you guys & gals for your responses. It's good to know that I am not the only one have frontcap problems.

Any more ideas are welcome.

Paul
2002 F350 4X2 Dually Crew Cab, 7.3L PSD, Western Diesel Gauges - Pyro, Boost and Trans Temp, in a Wood Grain Pillar Mount, 4" Magnaflow Turbo-back Exhaust, 1705 SCMT running in the 60HP mode, Western Diesel Turbo-brake III, Pulling a 2005 Excel 33RDO
BusterPSD is offline   Reply With Quote