Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Furnace, Propane Detector

I moved my '14 Excel 37SDF about 300 miles to Arkansas. The first night in the middle of the night, the Propane detector alarm went off. I disconnected the propane tanks and detector and had a rather cold night.

I have replaced the propane regulator, and turned on the heat tonight. The hot water heater is firing and there's propane to the cooktop, however I can't light the oven. The furnace is not making hot air, just blowing cold air.

I have not replaced the propane detector as I left it at work, but it would seem that the detector is not the problem. I will disconnect the propane tanks tonight though to be safe.

I don't know if something wiggled loose on the trip in or if this is just Murphys' law rearing it's ugly head.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
Mark
sh5ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2016, 07:45 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Just a quick response. You've not given us much info on what you've checked so far, so let's start simple first. Have you checked and confirmed to see if you have propane in your tanks, since you don't have any propane in the systems? What was wrong with the propane regulator that you replaced it? I've had a main switchover regulator that went bad and drew out of both tanks at the same time and both tanks empty. Let's go from here. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
There is propane in the tanks- they're full.

I changed the regulator just because they can go bad and Camping World had them in stock.

What I don't know how to do is to reset the furnace.

Thanks for your help,
Mark
sh5ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:06 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Oh Mark, I'm sorry.......I misread your original post......I thought you said you DIDN'T have hot water or stove operational. My bad. To reset the furnace, shut the switch on the thermostat to off for 15 seconds and then back on. Should be good to go. Anytime the furnace tries 3 times and fails to light.....it goes into lockout and the only way to reset is to do what I stated above. Sorry for the confusion.

BTW this info is in the owner's manual of the furnace. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 02-04-2016, 05:00 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Mark,
As far as the oven goes, make sure you have the knob in the pilot position and it is pushed all the way in. You should be able to feel it when it goes in and be sure to hold it there until it lights.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:08 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Plus the oven may have a pilot light that needs to be lit before you can get the oven to fire up?. Sometimes the pilot light in an oven is very hard to see where it is.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:30 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
Mark,
As far as the oven goes, make sure you have the knob in the pilot position and it is pushed all the way in. You should be able to feel it when it goes in and be sure to hold it there until it lights.
And I might add, after the pilot lights, hold the pilot button in for a good 30 seconds, so that the thermocouple gets hot enough to allow gas to go to main burner, then release the pilot bottom (pilot should stay lit) and twist it to the desired temp and the main burner should light. rockin'
Old 02-04-2016, 08:36 PM   #8

My solution to all that is microwave or eat out. Lol. I did have the boss check the oven just before we went out of warranty. I went outside while he lit the pilot, I'm scared to death of the thing. Great skillet storage though.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:54 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Co...why would you be scared of the oven? Basically, it's the same setup as the gas unit in a S&B, just smaller. Help me understand it. We don't use our that much, but do some. We usually have access to a larger oven where we stay summers and winters. rockin'
Old 02-04-2016, 09:18 PM   #10

I have been total electric since middle of the 1970's in the S&B. Don't have a problem with the range burner part. Just one of those "crazy old woman" things. Boss just shakes his head. I even bought stuff to fit the oven. Actually like cooking with gas but electric is sure cleaner. And now that will open up a can of worms. Lol
Old 02-05-2016, 07:26 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Kinda sounds like one of those "fear of the unknown". We all have our little "deals" that we're weird about. I know a lady in the park that won't use her outdoor grill cause she's scared of the propane part of it. Go figure.

I guess my weird deal is the "fear of running out of wine". I think they call it wineaphobia!
Old 02-05-2016, 07:36 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Mark, Here is the video ( I think ) I used to make a manometer when I had to troubleshoot my propane. You basically just use a column of water to check the pressure and also see if there's a leak. It's fairly simple and was a great learning experience.

Good luck.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:50 AM   #13

Just a quick question, and this is a bit of a long shot.
Have you checked that the converter/ charger is working properly and that you have good power from the batteries to the RV's systems?
The propane leak detector may be acting as a low voltage alarm and the furnace may not be lighting due to low fan speed; not activating the sail switch to start the ignition cycle.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh5ver View Post
I moved my '14 Excel 37SDF about 300 miles to Arkansas. The first night in the middle of the night, the Propane detector alarm went off. I disconnected the propane tanks and detector and had a rather cold night.

I have replaced the propane regulator, and turned on the heat tonight. The hot water heater is firing and there's propane to the cooktop, however I can't light the oven. The furnace is not making hot air, just blowing cold air.
I have not replaced the propane detector as I left it at work, but it would seem that the detector is not the problem. I will disconnect the propane tanks tonight though to be safe.
I don't know if something wiggled loose on the trip in or if this is just Murphys' law rearing it's ugly head.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
Mark
sh5ver
Because you replaced the propane regulator the propane lines to some of the propane fueled appliances may need to be purged of air before they will burn properly.
https://www.trails.com/how_29513_pro...cing-tank.html
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace, propane