Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
G4 Halogen Bulbs

Just wanted to post a note about these Halogen bulbs. I have one in a ceiling light that burned out. I've replaced many of these in the last 2 rigs, so feel good that I know how to do. I use a kleenex to wrap the bulb when installing. I also know to be patient and be gentle with them. Anyhow, I had an "experience" with one today. When installing the new bulb I broke off a pin terminal in the socket. It was already completely installed when the pin broke. I hadn't had any struggle or problem with the installation. I'm thinking that it was just a bad terminal in the bulb. Admitted, I got the bulbs as "cheapy China" bulbs off Ebay. They don't even have any bulb life posted on the box.....but they are real cheap and up to this point haven't had any issues other than some have a shorter life!

I disassemble the light and tried to dig out the broken off pin without any luck (this light and socket aren't really designed to be repaired-parts riveted together). Maybe if I had a jeweler's tiny needle nose pliers I may have been able to retrieve the pin out of the socket. Anyway, I took a new bulb and bent the pins out just a little bit to slide next to the side of the old pin and was able to get it in. Got lucky and the light works OK. Just thought I'd post this just in case you run into a smiliar issue. Careful....careful. I think I'll tug on the pins before installation.......if it can happen....it'll happen to me! rockin'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G4 Halogen Bulb 006 (Copy).JPG
Views:	249
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	27899  
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom
Just wanted to post a note about these Halogen bulbs. I have one in a ceiling light that burned out. I've replaced many of these in the last 2 rigs, so feel good that I know how to do. I use a kleenex to wrap the bulb when installing. I also know to be patient and be gentle with them. Anyhow, I had an "experience" with one today. When installing the new bulb I broke off a pin terminal in the socket. It was already completely installed when the pin broke. I hadn't had any struggle or problem with the installation. I'm thinking that it was just a bad terminal in the bulb. Admitted, I got the bulbs as "cheapy China" bulbs off Ebay. They don't even have any bulb life posted on the box.....but they are real cheap and up to this point haven't had any issues other than some have a shorter life!

I disassemble the light and tried to dig out the broken off pin without any luck (this light and socket aren't really designed to be repaired-parts riveted together). Maybe if I had a jeweler's tiny needle nose pliers I may have been able to retrieve the pin out of the socket. Anyway, I took a new bulb and bent the pins out just a little bit to slide next to the side of the old pin and was able to get it in. Got lucky and the light works OK. Just thought I'd post this just in case you run into a smiliar issue. Careful....careful. I think I'll tug on the pins before installation.......if it can happen....it'll happen to me! rockin'
Having dealt with these little buggers in the past I knew there had to be a better way to install them. After pondering awhile I came up with the perfect tool to hold the bulbs in a proper position to insert them into those impossibly small ( to see and align the pins to ). It was an old fashioned, wooden clothes pin. Place the bulb in the end groove with the pins oriented to match the fixture holes, raise the bulb into the fixture, and with the tip of one finger press the bulb home. Wah la!
Docschro98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Doc.......you are so smart. Thanks for sharing. I'll give it try when my next bulb burns out which should be anytime,now!!!!! Together, we are can sure help one another! Thanks again! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 10-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
OK.....I went to try my new bulb installer (clothes pin) and found the nose of the tool was too long for the lights we have in our Excel and needed a bit of modifying. I just put the clothes pin in a vise and used a sabre saw with a fine blade and rounded the nose of the pin. It works now.

Just thinking that an old round tube type fuse puller would work good for this chore too. rockin' always up to something.....

PS....workhorse - no comment on my wood working skills...we FTers are working out here with a rock, hammer, chisel, and sometimes even a vise. Kinda like going back to the caveman days!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tool to install G4 Halogen bulbs 001 (Copy).JPG
Views:	201
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	27903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tool to install G4 Halogen bulbs 002 (Copy).JPG
Views:	122
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	27904  

Old 10-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I have replaced many of these little buggers with a Kleenix. My solution now is to go to Lowes and buy a G4 12v 1.0w "Array Premium LED" for $8.08 ea. It is a Landscape bulb, 62 Lumen, at $8.08 ea. On my puck lights, I have to removed the pot-metal "reflector" to easily install the new bulb, but an LED doesn't need the reflector anyway...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Gee, Rockin. Now you know what you can make for all of your RVing friends for Christmas. ....or dishrags.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by didymop View Post
Gee, Rockin. Now you know what you can make for all of your RVing friends for Christmas. ....or dishrags.
Yeah right! The only problem is that many of my friends don't have halogen lights in their rig (because they are antiques) and it takes me a whole summer to knit one single little dishrag. Oh woe is me! Such talent!
Old 10-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Yeah right! The only problem is that many of my friends don't have halogen lights in their rig (because they are antiques) and it takes me a whole summer to knit one single little dishrag. Oh woe is me! Such talent!
FRIENDS ANTIQUES Be cafeful what you say.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #9

I replaced all 24 of mine with LED's for $2.08 each delivered to my door over a year ago with no problems.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #10

Quote:
OK.....I went to try my new bulb installer (clothes pin) and found the nose of the tool was too long for the lights we have in our Excel and needed a bit of modifying. I just put the clothes pin in a vise and used a sabre saw with a fine blade and rounded the nose of the pin. It works now.

Just thinking that an old round tube type fuse puller would work good for this chore too. rockin' always up to something.....

PS....workhorse - no comment on my wood working skills...we FTers are working out here with a rock, hammer, chisel, and sometimes even a vise. Kinda like going back to the caveman days!!!
Rockin'... I think it was a mighty fine job you did there!

Know what your talking about with having limited tools while you travel. I'm just about finished arranging the 'basement and storage' and deciding what I want to travel with. I think I used to carry enough to rebuild the Beast if something happened on the road. Now I'm trying to give up carrying as much and just enough to 'make us road safe' if something happened on our short trips. Hard to leave things at home when I know I still have space to carry more.

In May I left Florida to help a friend pack for a move from Virginia to Florida. While I was there...his home inspection was done and he had several pages of discrepencies. Working with limited tools out of a Home Depot bag and a few choice buys...we worked off all but two of the items. I would never tell the DW I don't need that tools...but know one can get by if one has too.

workhorse
Old 10-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post
Rockin'... I think it was a mighty fine job you did there!

Know what your talking about with having limited tools while you travel. I'm just about finished arranging the 'basement and storage' and deciding what I want to travel with. I think I used to carry enough to rebuild the Beast if something happened on the road. Now I'm trying to give up carrying as much and just enough to 'make us road safe' if something happened on our short trips. Hard to leave things at home when I know I still have space to carry more.

In May I left Florida to help a friend pack for a move from Virginia to Florida. While I was there...his home inspection was done and he had several pages of discrepencies. Working with limited tools out of a Home Depot bag and a few choice buys...we worked off all but two of the items. I would never tell the DW I don't need that tools...but know one can get by if one has too.

workhorse
Thanks for the kind words work.....it's alway good hearing from ya! Donna and I have had some serious discussions this last month about "accumulating stuff". In my eyes it appears we're gonna havta get a new rig and that means moving stuff and an automatic purification process. (Just kidding Bryan!) This winter we have commited to working on reducing our load a bit. My nose (tongue weight) is a bit heavy at 3960 lbs.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words work.....it's alway good hearing from ya! Donna and I have had some serious discussions this last month about "accumulating stuff". In my eyes it appears we're gonna havta get a new rig and that means moving stuff and an automatic purification process. (Just kidding Bryan!) This winter we have commited to working on reducing our load a bit. My nose (tongue weight) is a bit heavy at 3960 lbs.
I was confused at first about that last sentence until I read it again.
Hermandutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #13

Rockin- you just need a bigger truck!
The tool issue is something I'm starting to work thru, I hope to narrow it down to several "Kits"- Electrical 12v and 120, plumbing, tires and brakes, truck maintaince, and a general purpose- picture hanging, loose screw etc.
I guess the table saw, welder, drill press won't fit in the basement, but the wild cargo might work...