Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #15

The gas knob has to be pushed in and turned for gas to be released on any stoves that I know of. I think the chance of getting hit twice by lightening is greater then something falling on to the stove,turning the gas on. Although I would never suggest anyone take actions that they feel are unsafe for themselves, I do suggest that running with the propane is absolutely safe and is one of the least things that I would worry about.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought my first motorhome during the gas crisis. It was a 1972 Open Road. I have always run with the gas on with no problems. I also had thousands of customers and at least 95% of them ran with the gas on with no problems. I really believe you are much more in danger of food poisoning, than gas problems, If you turn off the gas.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor2BnC View Post
Tom, it was the old Atwood where the one knob controlled them both. I have no reason to not believe this couple's story. I've known them many years and have not known them to be prone to telling "tales" before.

Even if it's one of the newer stoves with the separate dial for the starter. Imagine the gas knob getting hit and raw propane in the rig! Not a pretty site with one small spark from anything then.

Doesn't matter if the story is true or not, I'll continue to travel with the gas OFF!!!
You gave us some bad info in the beginning......you said piezo lighter!!! I agree...for sure gas off is the best bet. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been RV'ing for over 30 years. I have thousands of miles under all my different type RVs. Had the gas on the whole time. Never had any issues.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do not see how something falling turned on the burner. My take would be they accidentally left the burner on.

It sounds like another "The sky is falling...The sky is falling" story to me.

Trying to travel in Texas in the summer, the frig will not hold for enough hours to keep your food safe. I will run with the gas on, my ice cream frozen and the beer cold.

Otherwise it may well mean a trip to the hospital with food poisoning.

I hear of a few "stories" about RV burning due to the gas being on, but I have yet to meet anyone that has had this happen in our almost 30 years of RVing. But I do not know anyone with an Excel.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Yah, have years of traveling in RVS in construction wouldnt of worked for fridge to be off had to have gas on to keep food good. But can see point of walking thru RV and
accidentlly hit the knob to stove, has happened to me but my fault for not paying attention just makes you pay attention more. But yah i leave the gas on the newer rigs are a little safer now. Dohave a microwave above stove, so makes it hard for something to hit knob.
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #21

Ok I'm going to do an experiment, next time I want to light the stove I will drop items from above and see how long it takes to light. I will post the results.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #22

No posting anywhere till after you get it to light. Somebody wake my up after about.... 10 years?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Ok I'm going to do an experiment, next time I want to light the stove I will drop items from above and see how long it takes to light. I will post the results.
PUFF!!!
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Couldn't the RV manufacturers place a shutoff valve between the stove and fridge to alleviate that from ever happening. I always travel with my fridge on gas, as a full-timer it is imperative that the food I have I there stays cool. It would be out-of-the question to have to move everything to a cooler each time I travel to a new location.
Rburke8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #25

I have found that you can travel with the fridge of for 8 hour and the temp does not drop enough to cause a problem. Just don't be opening the door every little bit.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARRET View Post
I have found that you can travel with the fridge of for 8 hour and the temp does not drop enough to cause a problem. Just don't be opening the door every little bit.
We have had both Dometic and Norcold and about 5 hours is all I'd go in the Texas heat on a clsoed box. After that it will not catch up overnight. Food poisioning is not fun.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #27
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
"Gas on/off while travelling"

On

Gas stove has raised burner grates, knobs are off to the side and must be pushed down then turned for the spark to ignite them. The only thing I can think of to light them is a falling hand.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
Been RV'ing for over 30 years. I have thousands of miles under all my different type RVs. Had the gas on the whole time. Never had any issues.
Been RV'ing since 1957 with the gas on, no problems ever.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote