Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2007, 09:46 AM   #43

Excel Owners Club
Bob,
They may end up dissappointing us all but let's give them a little more time. So far I've actually heard from three (3) guys who had problems. Now, granted in a sample of just a hundred, 3 is statistically significant. But let's assume this G614 was not yet on their radar until these three guys complained and we wrote in. They may be defining a strategy and in a Fortune 500 Company, that takes time...simply to get all the players together. Or,...they may be ignoring us 6 retired guys pounding on the table. I'm going to give them a week.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #44

Excel Owners Club
Ok Gang,

I just received the response to my letter from Goodyear. In it, they are not admitting that the older G614 has a possible anomaly.

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Thank you for contacting our web site, my name is Scottie. We are always concerned when we learn that we have failed to exceed a customer's expectations with regards to our product or service.

All Goodyear tires come with a limited warranty against workmanship or material related conditions that have occurred during the manufacturing process. During the first 12 months or 2/32 of tread wear, which ever comes first, workmanship or material conditions are replaced with a comparable Goodyear product free of charge, mounting and balancing included.

After the no charge period, tires experiencing a workmanship or material condition that occurred during the manufacturing process are replaced with a comparable Goodyear product on a prorata basis with the consumer paying for the mounting and balancing.

Road hazard injuries are not covered by warranty, as these occurrences are accidental in nature and beyond the control of the manufacturer.

There have been no unusual problems with the subject tire size and type and without inspecting the tire in question we could not comment as to it's cause or condition.

Goodyear relies on a network of retail locations, both Company Owned and Independent to determine warranty eligibility. If your tire is still available and has not been inspected by an authorized Goodyear retailer we would suggest you do so. You can locate your nearest authorized retailer by calling toll free 1-800-466-3932 or on our web site at the following path:
http://www.goodyeardealers.com/

If after inspecting your tires the authorized retailer is unable to assist you please ask them to contact our Customer Assistance Center toll free at 1-800-321-2136 to discuss your situation with one of our Customer Assistance Professionals.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:32 PM   #45

Excel Owners Club
Bummer!
Old 05-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Bob -- about what I expected. I'm sure they are hesitant to make any broad concessions on the G614 RST tires with thousands of these tires in-use. They would rather pay the $3,000+ repair bills to the select few RV'ers who adamantly pursue the issue.

Thanks to MakinSmoke, Virgil, for bringing this topic over from the Escapees Heavy Duty Truck (HDT) Forum. If nothing else, we are all smarter on these tires and understand the need to monitor closely. I'm bumping my G614s up to 110 psi maximum.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:11 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Larry Nigro posted on the Escapees HDT Forum. I thought our members would be interested in the tire temperatures he recorded with his G614s running at 110 psi cold.

Quote:
Hello
Reply to Jims post about G614'S and tire temps.
Today we left Mission TX AT 10:00 for Victoria TX. Resting tire temps were 74f outside temp. and all 4 tires had 110 psi. Took tire temp readings about 60 miles out also had to retorque the new G614. Here are the temps.
11:00 RR 121 RF 123 LR 126 LF 130
12:45 RR 133 RF 135 LR 133 LF 133
1:30 RR 127 RF 127 LR 131 LF 131

At the 11:00 stop I also took the air pressure.
RR 129 RF 130 LR 129 LF 129

At the first stop I took the temps after being stopped for 15 minutes. The temps went down in that time by 10 degrees. My speed was 55 to 60 mph. The day was overcast
Old 05-03-2007, 05:45 AM   #48

Texas Boomers Club
Those temperatures don't look excessive to me. On a previous 5th wheel, the OEM tires were fabric-and-steel construction LT235/85R-16E Goodyear Wrangler HTs. Upon pulling into a rest stop after a summertime Interstate highway run, one could feel the heat radiating off those tires from 3-4 feet away - there was no way to lay your hand on the tread. I changed those tires out to all-steel construction Michelin XPS Ribs, and under the same conditions I could comfortably lay the palm of my hand on the tread as long as I wished. The Goodyear Unisteel G614 RSTs on my current 5th wheel seem to run just as cool as the Michelins did.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:04 AM   #49

I lost two tires on my last trip out on a'04 30ft. Excel and replaced them with what I could find in a hurry so I could come on home, had some damage to the trailer but it could have been worst if it had tore up the gas line on the kitchen slide-out. My home dealer said that with a G rated tire you could have heat build up in the side walls and should hold the speed to 55. Has anybody else heard that story, I was thinking of Michelin next time. Farmer Jim
Old 05-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #50

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Farmer Jim:
My home dealer said that with a G rated tire you could have heat build up in the side walls and should hold the speed to 55.
Heat will build up in any tire as a function of sidewall flexing, regardless of load rating (E, G or otherwise). This has obvious implications regarding speed, load, inflation pressure, etc. The Goodyear G614 RST is rated for 75 MPH, so holding speeds to a maximum of 55 MPH shouldn't be necessary. (By the way, I don't advocate cruising at 75 MPH - I'm just pointing out the manufacturer's rated capabilities of the tire.)
Quote:
I was thinking of Michelin next time.
I've yet to find a G-rated Michelin tire to replace the LT235/85R-16G Goodyear Unisteel G614 RSTs on my 5th wheel.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:01 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Farmer Jim,
My tire knowledge/sense has increased dramatically as a result of this thread. From what I've read (Goodyear literature for the most part) it appears excessive heat build-up is primarily attributed to under inflation. I had been running at 105 psi/60 mph. As stated in my last post, I've increased my inflation (cold) pressure to 110 psi in all my Excel tires.

Given the distribution of installed components and additional items, most of us are probably carrying different weights on each tire/axle. At 110 psi, I only need to concern myself with not exceeding the 3,750 lb. G614 capacity and combined axle rating of 15,000 lbs.

Quoted from Goodyear's RV Tire Guide:
Quote:
GUIDELINES TO HANDLE INFLATION PRESSURE FOR UNEVEN VEHICLE WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION
If you determine that the loading of your vehicle's tires are uneven, use the following guidelines to ensure proper inflation pressure:

Select a tire with load carrying capacity designed to handle the maximum load point
For each axle determine the correct inflation pressure needed for that size tire to handle the maximum load
Inflate all tires on that axle to this same inflation pressure
Old 05-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #52

Makinsmoke,
At the NM Excel Spring Rally Mark Runk (Goodyear rep.) weighted our rigs and rear axle as we came in. These he posted on a chart to show us his calculations on how we were loaded. He passed out the individual charts at a seminar and then proceeded to inform us of the info you are suggesting we need. Regardless to say, over 90 percent of us were overloaded.
He is the National Field Manager for Product Services, Western Division. You can contact him at email mark_runk@goodyear.com, Phone 602-296-4664 or Fax: 602-296-4392. about coming to your state excel rally. If not him I'm sure he could direct you to someone in the Eastern Division.
During his presentation nothing was mentioned or brought up by attendees or Mark in regard to problems Goodyear was having or had had with any of its RV tires.
There were 86 Excel rigs present.
daddystoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:21 AM   #53

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by daddystoy:
Makinsmoke,
At the NM Excel Spring Rally Mark Runk (Goodyear rep.) weighted our rigs and rear axle as we came in. These he posted on a chart to show us his calculations on how we were loaded. He passed out the individual charts at a seminar and then proceeded to inform us of the info you are suggesting we need. Regardless to say, over 90 percent of us were overloaded.
He is the National Field Manager for Product Services, Western Division. You can contact him at email mark_runk@goodyear.com, Phone 602-296-4664 or Fax: 602-296-4392. about coming to your state excel rally. If not him I'm sure he could direct you to someone in the Eastern Division.
During his presentation nothing was mentioned or brought up by attendees or Mark in regard to problems Goodyear was having or had had with any of its RV tires.
There were 86 Excel rigs present.

Daddystoy,

Can you elaborate on what the predominated overloading was, i.e. just too much stuff, heavy on one side, one axle etc etc?

Bangs, Texas
Old 05-08-2007, 03:26 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok folks, time for our resident PI expert to "weigh-in" on this topic. If, as the Goodyear representative (Mark Rump) determined at the New Mexico Rally that 90% of the 80+ units in attendance were "overweight", what's up 'Doc'?

Seriously, if ExcelRVGuy would provide PI's perspective on this issue it would provide us with additional fodder to chew on as we mull over the G614 saga. I don't believe 90% (70+) attendees at the New Mexico Excel Rally would exceed their coach's maximum tire, axle, or GVWR with the DW's goodies on-board. If so, then PI needs to reevaluate their tire/axle combination.

Thanks Bob--that's what I meant to say.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:45 AM   #55

Excel Owners Club
Keep in mind, you can easily overload one tire or one side without exceeding the GVWR.

Bangs, Texas
Old 05-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #56

Excel Owners Club
Good afternoon.

Does anyone else have problems logging on to IRV2? It seems like more times than not, I can't log on. There is no set pattern such as time of day.

OK, as for PI's perspective on this tire/axle/weight issue.

Of all the areas in which we pay attention, our frame/axle/tire/weight area is probably the number #1 area. The last thing we want to do is to produce a coach that is not safe to tow.

We weigh our units differently than most manufactures. When it is time to weigh coaches, we take a coach directly from the finish department to the scales. The weight that is on the weight ticket for that unit is the weight that is posted in the brochure for that model. so, in essence, our weights for the Unloaded Vehicle Weight is the actual weight that a particular model leaves our factory. (NOT the "base" unit, less options-as with our competitors). Keep in mind that nearly every coach leaves here equipped pretty much the same way. When we weigh a unit, we DO take into consideration if the coach has unusual options and deduct those accordingly. i.e. washer/dryer - generator - Motorcycle carrier, etc.

Due to the numerous floorplans that we (and other manufacturers) offer, it is virtually impossible to design units to have equal amounts of weight on each tire. We do, however, make sure to provide OVER ONE TON of storage in every model we build. How the customer loads their coach in order to maintain proper weight distribution is the sole responsibility of the customer!

In my 28 year tenure here, I have found that no matter what limits we establish on our coaches, there will be customers who find ways to exceed them. <tongue in cheek>

Once again though, beginning with 2008 models, all Excel Classic and Limited Edition model 30' floorplans will have their axle and tire capacity increased from 12,000# to 14,000#. This, for example, will give a Classic E30RSO a payload capacity of 4,900#. THAT IS 2 1/2 TONS of your stuff you may carry!!

Beginning on all new orders, we will begin offering Goodyear 215/75R17.5 "H" rated tires as an OPTION! This will increase your carrying capacity from 15,000# on the tires, to 16,000#. The tires themselves will increase from 3,750/tire on the G614 we currently use as standard to 4,805/tire for the H715 tires. Keep in mind that these will be installed on either dual 7K axles OR dual 8K axles. So now the axle will become the weakest link in the chain. (The weight capacity is determined by the weakest link in the suspension chain, whether it be the tires, tube, suspension, brakes, spindle, etc.)

This has been a rather long winded post but as requested by Chiefjohn, I decided to give our perspective on the tire issue.

Thanks to everyone for being in the Excel family.

Bryan Tillett
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote