Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #1

Just wondering if anyone is using a GPS system for travel. We are looking at them and it is confusing. Someone mentioned one even has a height of overpasses etc., reporting. What are you using and what is recommended. Thanks, Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #2

Just wondering if anyone is using a GPS system for travel. We are looking at them and it is confusing. Someone mentioned one even has a height of overpasses etc., reporting. What are you using and what is recommended. Thanks, Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We've used both a laptop based setup and a dashtop system. The laptop used the Delorme GPS receiver and software in the laptop. The current system is the Garmin 2720 dashtop unit.
I liked the software better on the Delorme system when it was time to plan trips. Also,
the larger laptop screen was easier to see. Downsize was the larger screen. Takes up a lot of room.
I have used the Garmin throughout this year and like it very much. It can easily be moved between vehicles and the screen is actually big enough for me without problem.
Neither software system was able to route based upon clearances. I believe the Co-Pilot system does that, but since I have never used that one I can't address that.
Hope this at least gets the discussion going here.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I have the Delorme and the Garmin 2610.

I prefer the Garmin unit as it's smaller, and it works quite well.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
Mark & Dale have really helped us out with our
GPS Education.

Dave
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:19 AM   #6

We use the Garmin 2720 and like it very much It is capable of truck route in personal settings.As for height try this site http://www.aitaonline.com/Info/Low%2...s.html#heading
and make a hard copy and compare to the route your planning
Geo

george25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:48 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
We use delorme. We also have a ram mount so DW or I can easily see the laptop screen, and she can keep her lap free of stuff. ram mount Took about 15 minutes to install (no drilling)

There is a great site for delorme file add-ons. (walmarts, low bridges, corp of engineer locations, you name it-it's there) delorme and microsoft streets add ons

Doug

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:22 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Over the past 9+ years, we've tried the various laptop mapping/GPS systems and the lower end stand-alone GPS units. Finally convinced the DW to go with a moderately priced Garmin 7200 that (hopefully) will satisfy our needs for several years.

Fast, easy, touch-screen, and capable of many additional features, i.e., MP3 player through TV speaker system if desired; audio book capability; backup camera add-on; computer interface for ease of updating; custom POIs and routes, etc. We loaded over 5 cds of songs on the expansion chip.

GPS is accurate, and will re-route if you make the wrong turn or decide to go a different direction.

Excellent GPS for the $$.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:28 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
We have the Delorme and in my truck I use the Garmin 2730. My wife has the built in Ford model in her Linclon. I would like to have the built in Ford one.
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:36 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
I've been using the Garmin 2620 street pilot for about 4 yrs now and it has done me well, no complaints.
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:02 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Realizing that the Garmin 2720 is now out of production, I bought a Factory Refurb w/one year warranty on eBay a few months ago for under $250, delivered. So far I'm real happy with this unit and the price was great.
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:12 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Just realized our signature is out of date. We took delivery of our beauty 7/26/07. Will post on that event separately. (Short version: Wahoo!)
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote