Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2015, 04:30 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
[QUOTE=rockintom;2534694]John, Yes the hole is drilled only half way thru the bolt and then at a 45* to just one hole in the center of the bolt. When you say you turned the bolt 180* where did you position the grease hole? Should be at 3 or 9 o'clock on all eyelets. Which one was the troubled joint (location)? Just curious. Pix?

The small grease hole was originally at 9 o'clock and I rotated it to 3 o'clock. I don't know what the configuration of the bushing is to accept grease at those positions only. Does the bushing have 2 grooves that are a helix and intersect the grease hole at 3 and 9 o'clock position?
Jhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2015, 04:44 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Gary - You da man. But then again......us Texicans can do almost anything. Or at least talk about it!!!

BTW was your wet bolt grease hole oriented correctly? rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:45 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
[QUOTE=Jhav;2534763]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
John, Yes the hole is drilled only half way thru the bolt and then at a 45* to just one hole in the center of the bolt. When you say you turned the bolt 180* where did you position the grease hole? Should be at 3 or 9 o'clock on all eyelets. Which one was the troubled joint (location)? Just curious. Pix?

The small grease hole was originally at 9 o'clock and I rotated it to 3 o'clock. I don't know what the configuration of the bushing is to accept grease at those positions only. Does the bushing have 2 grooves that are a helix and intersect the grease hole at 3 and 9 o'clock position?
No John, the 3 or 9 o'clock position is theoretically suppose to allow greasing with the trailer setting with the weight on the springs. Another words if the grease hole was oriented at the 6 o'clock position, then the grease couldn't enter due to the load (weight) on the bolt (no clearance between and bushing - couldn't allow greasing). rockin'

As I mentioned before I wonder if "relieving/chamfering" the internal grease hole just a bit would aid in greasing these wet bolts.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 04-30-2015, 05:33 AM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Gary - You da man. But then again......us Texicans can do almost anything. Or at least talk about it!!!

BTW was your wet bolt grease hole oriented correctly? rockin'
Not sure of orientation. Mine spun on the backside when I thought the notches would hold it.

Knowing what I know now I think I will try using a wire with an 1/8" (or small enough to fit in the zerk hole) 90 degree end and try to get it into the grease hole. My thinking is that it might relieve it enough to take grease.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:12 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
[QUOTE=rockintom;2534851]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhav View Post

No John, the 3 or 9 o'clock position is theoretically suppose to allow greasing with the trailer setting with the weight on the springs. Another words if the grease hole was oriented at the 6 o'clock position, then the grease couldn't enter due to the load (weight) on the bolt (no clearance between and bushing - couldn't allow greasing). rockin'

As I mentioned before I wonder if "relieving/chamfering" the internal grease hole just a bit would aid in greasing these wet bolts.
That makes sense about the positioning of the bolt. I think putting a chamfer on the internal grease hole is an excellent idea that Dexter should be doing. If I ever have to take any of the bolts out again I will do this. While I was under there I noticed a shock absorber was leaking. My rig will be 2 years old July. Who is the manufacturer of the shock and do you think it is under warranty thru them?
Old 04-30-2015, 06:17 AM   #20

Excel Owners Club
I took a different approach.

I installed Never Fail Spring and Shackle Bushings.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:26 AM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Russell, Is ur system Lippert or Dexter.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:39 AM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
I took a different approach.

I installed Never Fail Spring and Shackle Bushings.

That is amazing 100,000 miles and never have to worry about greasing them or wearing out. I went to their website and I didn't see anywhere that said what they are made off or what makes them so unique that they last so long. What are they made off to give them such long life? With the lifetime warranty it's not the cost of the bushing so much but the labor to change them.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:20 AM   #23

Excel Owners Club
[QUOTE=Jhav;2535361]
Quote:

That makes sense about the positioning of the bolt. I think putting a chamfer on the internal grease hole is an excellent idea that Dexter should be doing. If I ever have to take any of the bolts out again I will do this. While I was under there I noticed a shock absorber was leaking. My rig will be 2 years old July. Who is the manufacturer of the shock and do you think it is under warranty thru them?
As mentioned on this forum, they are Dexter shocks, made in China and haven't heard one favorable comment. Replacement of those with the same will likely yield the same performance. I'd just take the leap and upgrade to the Monroe gas filled - dual action shocks (4). You'll be happy you did. Part #555001. Shop carefully as they price vary quote a bit. HTHs.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:23 AM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Those never fail bushing sounds good.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:26 AM   #25

Excel Owners Club
When I replaced my OEM bronze bushings after 14K miles they were already pretty well worn.

Time will tell on the Never Fail Bushings. I installed them with wet bolts, just in case.

But I've not added grease to them since installed in December 2013.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:45 AM   #26

Excel Owners Club
[QUOTE=rockintom;2535457]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhav View Post

As mentioned on this forum, they are Dexter shocks, made in China and haven't heard one favorable comment. Replacement of those with the same will likely yield the same performance. I'd just take the leap and upgrade to the Monroe gas filled - dual action shocks (4). You'll be happy you did. Part #555001. Shop carefully as they price vary quote a bit. HTHs.
Thanks for the information, I just ordered 4 Monroe 555001 shocks from Amazon .... $29.87 each with free shipping plus sales tax. Amazon now nails me with sales tax since they build a distribution center here in Wisconsin.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:57 AM   #27

Do the Monroe part #555001 shocks fit all Excel 5th wheels?

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:20 AM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1 View Post
Do the Monroe part #555001 shocks fit all Excel 5th wheels?
I sure hope they fit 2014 Winslow 31IKE because that's what I just ordered.