Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:27 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
A couple years ago I had run some too long screws through the basement floor into both tanks. I dropped both tanks and got some ABS mending material, cement and fabric and ABS flat sheet. Patched all those holes remounted the tanks and added lots of better straps, length and cross wise. Also added a couple more steel plates under the whole thing. Keep in mind there must be some slack in those straps for the tank to expand slightly, but not too much. All has been good for three years now after many miles on bouncy roads. I try to always empty holding tanks before driving. Or at least dry keeping them under half full.

Where’s tank replacement makes a lots of sense, I do believe that if the split is along the flat top seam it could be fixed with a mending kit. One time I repaired a split that formed in the top round portion of the reinforcing ribs in the bottom of the tank. If you have not seen a tank you may not understand that comment.

I used rubber ABS joint sections with screw bands from a box store to reconnect all of the pipes rising out of the tank. None of this was easy work or fun for one person under the trailer.

I also replaced all of the tank valves while the under belly was open. Also built an easy access panel to access the valves in the future. As has been recommended before I would encourage all Excel owners to add tanks bands before troubles happens.

Like others I normally drive with about half full fresh water tank, allows unplanned night stops.

rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Fred you make some great points. I agree and endorse all but my experience with a repair on the lower area near the seam area didn't hold all that long. You must be a better repair person than ol' rockin'. And it also been in my experience, if you "disturb" a tank valve it will not seal up (internally) if it has been used for a while. At a minimum replace all the valve seals when working on it. Or new valve assys. if they are elderly.
I'm surprised your rig didn't have an access door to the valves. All three of our Excels did. But I've heard that they simply did do all of them in production.

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:50 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Tom,
I was not clear enough, I replaced the entire value assembly for both tanks. Also removed the Ez pivot and attached another 3” value at the hose attachment point. I like this much better.

I would never suggest all waste tank breaks can be patched. Flat surfaces are simple with the repair kit. Tank comes out stronger. Any round area becomes tricker.

To store the waste hoses, I setup a typical 5x5” pvc fence post with a pvc rain gutter section for a tray. Put on two post caps for the ends. I now have three of these drawers, two for sewer stuff and one longer fishing pole cases and other long poles.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:34 PM   #18

I have the same year as yours. Mine does have the extra external straps. Two of them. I don't know what size main straps were used as in a prior post someone (Tom?) stated for a while PI had used thicker straps in an effort to resolve the issue, but may have returned to the thinner straps to clear inventory.. I have been fortunate so far and have not had the tank break. I do boondock a few times a year and have to travel with the tanks near full, sometimes over washboard dirt roads. After PI went out of business I bought a warranty from Good Sam, knowing from this forum that the tanks were an issue. The Good Sam paper works states it will cover the tanks. Now one of two things will happen, the tank will break and they will not cover it due to some clause I did not read, or the tank will break the day after the warranty expires!!
Masch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #19

Is it necessary to drop belly blanket to achieve full benefit from adding straps?

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Depends. You can add a couple of heavy straps, branches under the blanket and improve it some. I added both length wise and cross straps inside the insulation and a couple more outside or under the insulation. I think it would be very difficult adding lengthwise straps without dropping the underbelly.

Tags
grey tank, leak, tank

« Macerator Pump | - »