Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #1

Had to come home - floor is wet under the slide

We were in Ocean City, MD for 10 days ... planned to head South to Charleston, SC to tour the Hunley submarine. Unfortunately, we experienced 20 to 40 mph gale force winds & rain while in Ocean City. And discovered a wet floor at the sofa bed slide. So we pulled up camp and headed for home, PA. DH wants to move the sofa bed and the carpet, to try to dry out the wooden floor, and find out where the water came form. Next day, DH moved the sofa bed front, and lifted the carpet. But where did the water come in ??? So DH started to check the roof, the slide seals, and the window. DH took the inside window frame off so he could peel the wall board back. Then he could see the daylight shining into the coach. Hmmmm .... Should not see daylight at the window frame! DH got a ladder and checked the outside of the window. He found that the window didn't have any sealant on part of the outside flange, at the top. And that the silicone on the top of the outside window frame had shrunken. So DH drilled a small hole in the inside wall to check if the insulation was wet. YUP ... it was soaked too ! I AM NOT HAPPY!! We always keep the slides in when we are parked at home, so I guess that's why we didn't discover this defect before now. DH blames himself for missing the shrunken silicone on top of the sofa slide outside window frame. DH is diligent about checking the coach and has made many minor repairs to the RV over the last 3 years. I normally don't say a thing, and have never posted my comments. But not this time. I AM NOT HAPPY !! This has to fixed now or we'll have mold inside the coach. Mary
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #2

Which window on the slide did the leak occur?

When I did a slide side wall repair below a window...I believe it occurred from the window as well. When I took the wall apart there was a brace/divider in the middle of the wall/window. Which side of the window did you drill the inspection hole to check for moisture? You might want to check off center on the other side to see if it spread to that side also.

I recently chased a water leak that was appearing below a window which had me wondering how moisture could have ever gotten to that area? Ended up stripping all the windows and resealing as well as the roof line and rear cap trims.

When I purchased the unit last year I inspected and replaced everything that was questionable at the time. Inspected often and never had a problem except in that one area. After caulking was replaced....had the Alpenlite near the house prepping for a trip, as before had a lot of rain before the trip and once at the campground found the carpet damp again?!?!?! Inspected everything again and like before couldn't find a problem. After taking a drawer out below the refrig and inspecting the area I found some dampness and traced the problem back to the lower outside vent for the refrig. Water had gotten behind the vent grille due to the heavy rain and the seal on the bottom of the vent frame failed. Made some modifications to the area and all good....for now anyway.

Like you with your slides always in....mine always under a cover when not in use....just took time for the problem to show up, no rain - no problem.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
One of the first things that should be checked is the weep hole that is provided for proper drainage of the window sill. The holes are an attraction for spiders and dirt and when full will cause the water to fill the sill and overflow into any direction it can. You will want to get a fan going on the wet area to help dry it out. Mold is a terrible thing to overcome once it gets started.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #4

When the slide is out, it is the "forward" facing window. DH drilled a hole at the bottom of the wall on the inside. ... just to see if the insulation and the frame were wet. Of couse they were wet. You know the rest of the story ! It wasn't the window, it was the missing silicone on the outside of the top of the window frame. ME ??? I got in my car and left home for 2 hours, to give the DH time to cool off. DH is running fans in the coach to dry out the wood. Will have to replaced the insulation. Definitely will be a re - silicone to this window the right way. And check all other windows for inadequate sealant. This didn't show up on the PDI inspection. Mary
Old 10-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #5

DH checked the weep holes and they were open and clear. That's when he started to dig deeper. Doing everything we can to prevent mold. Mary
Old 10-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #6

Below is a rough drawing of what I think the framing might be like, or at least the wall on my prior 2001.

If I understand it correctly the caulking at the top of the window allowed water to enter the inner wall area. When the inside frame was removed, did it appear the moisture traveled down between the wood framing and the window framing to get to the floor and inner wall area?

One of the things I would do is remove/dry out the inner wall as well as the carpet and floor. The fan will help with the carpet but not the inner wall. To do that might consider, if you don't want to remove the wall paneling or pry it loose at the edges to open the space....is to drill several holes...one near the bottom and another further up to allow cross ventilation of the space. Make the holes just large enough to allow "outlet plates" to cover the holes later. If your not sure if there is a mid wall stud, drill a hole on the other side and see if there is moisture there as well.

The key is to get air through the area. I have used my wet vac with the pickup hose reversed to the outlet side to blow air rather than suck/pickup. This will allow the end of the hose to access the hole and the warm air from the exhaust helps to dry it out quicker. A small fan that will place air into the wall will also help...but air movement quickens the dry cycle.

workhorse

Old 10-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #7

your layout of the wall is correct, thank you. carpet has been removed, slide floor wrap has been peeled up, wall paneling opened up and wet insulation removed. fans are doing their jobs quite well. you just can`t get under the wall sill plate. have to hope that as the wood floor dries the moisture will wick out while leaving the fans run for a week or so.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #8

Glad to hear all seems to be going well. Being in remodeling...the longer you can keep a fan for air movement or leave it exposed and open the better....even if it seems to be dry to the touch.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #9

well we're back in business. after a week of fans blowing and fairly warm temps, all seems to have dried out nicely. resealed outside window flange and reinstalled inner clamp ring correctly (upper screws not drilled through to hold pressure against outer wall. might be why thin outer silicone bead separated. probably was a Friday afternoon.). soaked outside of wall and window very heavily.....dry inside- whew!!! replaced insulation, closed up wall paneling, relayed carpet, reinstalled all trim (bottom piece split at glued joint so had to glue and clamp overnite). filled nail holes, vacuumed up the mess and put sofa back in place. good to go, like nothing ever happened. i'm sure I had more fun doing this rather than finishing my vacation trip down south (again).
Old 10-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
So glad you're back in action again Mitch......as we say down south....ya done good! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide