Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2008, 06:22 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Has anyone added lighting in the trailer? The cherrywood stain all around absorbs a lot of light, all the more noticeable on cloudy rainy days like today. And we don't like the glare of the fluoro lights.

I know we can add a table lamp or two. But I prefer ceiling or wall lighting. I was thinking about replacing the fluoro fixture or fan somehow, but this looks like more project than I want to attempt. Of course, there ain't a lot of wall space either.

Been reading about LED systems. Lots more technical detail than standard fluro or incandescent lighting.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2008, 06:22 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Has anyone added lighting in the trailer? The cherrywood stain all around absorbs a lot of light, all the more noticeable on cloudy rainy days like today. And we don't like the glare of the fluoro lights.

I know we can add a table lamp or two. But I prefer ceiling or wall lighting. I was thinking about replacing the fluoro fixture or fan somehow, but this looks like more project than I want to attempt. Of course, there ain't a lot of wall space either.

Been reading about LED systems. Lots more technical detail than standard fluro or incandescent lighting.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:55 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
You may want to look into halogen lighting. I don't think that LED lighting will provide either the level of illumination or the color warmth that you are looking for. Also, there is a fair amount of selection in halogen 12V lighting available on-line.

There was a fairly recent post that the Excel factory provided a retrofited halogen fixture to replace a florescent fixture that was causing glare on someones television. You may want to search this forum for more information about lighting options.

Cheers,

Da Kittens (Dora and Inky)
WldKargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:02 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
All I know I'm just about finished replacing the upgraded ballasts (last 2 being shipped now) in our fluorescent lights and I ready to be done with them. I just replace them as they quit working. Like the monkey said when he wet in the cash register "this is running into money"! As far as lighting goes we don't have any complaints. Maybe we're just too darn dumb to know any better! I do know the bulbs (tubes) are getting pricey! Altogether we are getting close to $280. bucks in parts on these lights! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:49 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rockintom:
Altogether we are getting close to $280. bucks in parts on these lights! rockin' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Over what period of time? How often do you replace the bulbs or ballasts?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:37 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Bruce, I did a write up on it a while back. My problems started mainly after the first year. Your unit may have the updated ballast or may even have a different brand. My original ballasts had no heat sink included and they overheat and eventually quit (board burned up). You can replace the light assy. for $50+ or replace just the updated ballast for $22 + shipping per light (they will ship 2 for the price of one). I haven't had to replace an updated ballast. The tubes are running about $7.00. In the early days I didn't know you were supposed to rotate the bulbs every 6 months to get 30% longer bulb life, which is in the owner's manuals. BTW, my light are Sunray, Sunbeam Products or STP out of Huntington Beach, CA
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 09-02-2008, 07:21 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Yeah, I noticed my instructions say to rotate the bulbs once per year.

Who'd a thought to read every every page of every piece of paper in this trailer, even the lights? Who has that kinda time? Oh, wait, I'm retired.

Still, I'm so busy reading all this S&J .
Old 09-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
I decided to start by replacing the Cool White tubes with Warm White. Using them with the incandescent 12v bulbs might make enough of a difference. Certainly worth a shot first.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Hey Bruce,

All you have to do to get the halogen is buy a 2009. Our 2009 has halogens through out. I really like them in the bedroom opposed to the fluorscent lights. Where we used to have 2 lights we now have 6 halogens. In the kitchen/living area we have 8 halogens. In the hallway going to the bedroom we have 2 more. This is in our little 30' 5er All are built flush with the ceiling. Lots of things changed from our 2007 to the 2009.
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Butch,

We just got home from the Portland RV show and still seeing stars!! One thing I noticed with the ceiling halogens was the heat they produced. Nice lighting, but the heat could be felt when standing under them. And these were SOBs with high ceilings (compare to our low profile Excels). Is yours warm?
Old 09-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm really cautious with the halogen lights. We used them in our kitchen remodel and took them out after they did some heat damage to the cabinets. Like Tom said, they do put out a lot of heat.

I saw some 12v LED lights from Hampton Bay at Home Depot. They are something that I'm going to look at for the over the bed lights. These are the 1st ones I found that might do the trick for us. They sure draw a lot less current.

Tim
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Rockin,

Yes they do get hotter than than the others but I haven't noticed them getting really hot. I notice when I'm walking in RVs at a show that they are always hotter than when you use them under normal conditions. The ones at the show are on from the time they open the show till they close it up at night. So far it has not bothered us but we are still in the new state with our unit.
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
I took out all the halogen lamps in our house. I felt they were to hot for the home and I would not want them in our 5er.

Are they standard or an option?
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Larry,

Glad you said you took them out of your house and not your rig....they barely had regular filment bulbs when your rig was built!
Bad boy Tom...bad boy.