Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:42 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Hazy, bubbly water??

Our hot water comes out all hazy. If it sits for a few minutes in a glass it goes clear. We are assuming it is air bubbles. Lee originally thought he should drain the hot water heater and flush it. However, we then discovered it is a problem only in the bathroom sink! The shower and kitchen sink are just fine. Only from the bathroom sink the hot water is cloudy.

In hind sight we realized this happened once before in Texas. But since it was only one day and then when we left and it got better, we assumed it was the water at the park. But now here it is again...

It doesn't smell at all, but does seem strange. Any ideas?

Loralie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2011, 03:48 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
our toilet flush line does it often when its HOT out.
i chalked it down it expansion and the way the line is routed on the outer wall cover plate, so when the heated water hits the cold air it releases the trapped air as more bubbles....at least that's my theory

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #3

Could be just air (gas) bubbles but just for discussion-from my work with industrial water systems, I learned that gases can form in water. hydrogen, nitrogen, argon,C02 among them- all gases that are in the atmosphere. In the water line the gases are under pressure. When the faucet or flush valve is operated, the gases try to "make a run for it" back to the atmosphere, so you see cloudy water. When the water clears up, the gases have disipated. Even with the cloudiness it's ok and is safe to drink.
The anode rod in the water heater can cause hydrogen gas buildup- But it's not dangerous because it's mixed in the water.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87_Fixr View Post
Could be just air (gas) bubbles but just for discussion-from my work with industrial water systems, I learned that gases can form in water. hydrogen, nitrogen, argon,C02 among them- all gases that are in the atmosphere. In the water line the gases are under pressure. When the faucet or flush valve is operated, the gases try to "make a run for it" back to the atmosphere, so you see cloudy water. When the water clears up, the gases have disipated. Even with the cloudiness it's ok and is safe to drink.
The anode rod in the water heater can cause hydrogen gas buildup- But it's not dangerous because it's mixed in the water.
87, you've given the best answer I've heard yet. I'll bite on it. I wrote to them off line and said not to worry about it, too. But what puzzles me is that it is only coming out of one (bathroom sink) fixture??? I thought maybe the WH was closest to that faucet and on other further away faucets, the water had time to disapate the bubbles..........not so on their rig??? I don't know.......I do know I wouldn't be concerned.

Take the rig around the block and pull back in.....then you'll find something else to be concerned about!!!! rockin'

PS 87.......Excels don't use the anode rod.......we are Atwood on the WH.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
87, you've given the best answer I've heard yet. I'll bite on it. I wrote to them off line and said not to worry about it, too. But what puzzles me is that it is only coming out of one (bathroom sink) fixture??? I thought maybe the WH was closest to that faucet and on other further away faucets, the water had time to disapate the bubbles..........not so on their rig??? I don't know.......I do know I wouldn't be concerned.

Take the rig around the block and pull back in.....then you'll find something else to be concerned about!!!! rockin'

PS 87.......Excels don't use the anode rod.......we are Atwood on the WH.
If it happened to Toms water it would be because he has a tank of OP in the line.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermandutchman View Post
If it happened to Toms water it would be because he has a tank of OP in the line.
Herman Deicsmeister,

Why didn't I didn't think of that???!!! My OP doesn't have time to get bubbles in it!!! It does however make bubbles in the bath tub!!! OK enough of that......
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How is the flow in the bath---slower? Maybe it has one of those screens clogged and it agitates the water------??
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #8

I would agree with others that the water would be safe to drink. Here is a link to some information provided the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority. I guess depending on the temp and pressure of the water entering your unit...might aid to the problem.

Since the bath sink faucet is the only fixture with the problem, the faucet aerator...which adds air to the water as it exits the faucet, might also be a cause or aids in why this fixture is the only one with a problem.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #9

Yeah. After I posted I got to thinking about the aerator and another thing-those gases tend to try and find the highest point to escape. since the bathroom is higher than the kitchen, well, it just made sense to me- that's where I'd go if I was a gas bubble....
Sorry about my lack of WH knowledge. Some day maybe we'll get another fiver and I'll know better.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Well thanks to all you 'gas bubbles'. We had checked the aerator as that seemed logical to us. But nothing wrong there.
So we simply ignored it and it seems to have gone away. I'm sure I'll find another puzzle in a day or two...
Loralie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was going to say that "Bubbly Water" often makes things a bit.. er, hazy.. (Think Champagne)

The joke out of the way the serious answer is high mineral content, Very common epcially where the water comes out of a hole in the ground. The last campground I was at serves up well water and when I run it in a clean glass it goes in white, then the minerals settle down and it's clear.. Same where I'm at now.

In the motor home it gets filtered which helps somewhat.

Tags
water