Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #1

Hello all new excel owner

I am in the process of purchasing my first 5th wheel and we chose a 2003 excel 30 skw. There seems to be an issue with the large slide on the port side, the salesman told me that is started to delaminate so the previous owner ran through bolts (carriage) through the outside to the inside. Then he covered with plywood on the inside. Did a damn fine job at matching the stain and varnish but to me it looks gaudy.
Little background on myself, I am a boat carpenter so the fix is no problem. What I am wondering since this unit has these bolts, and I sure the ply on the inside is to cover up the nuts, I wont know the header situation until I tear out the ply but does Excel still have the blue faux finish wall paper? can I buy the plywood paneling with the wall paper on it?
Also the steps going up to the bath/bedroom the bottom step is like been cut for some reason, it's notched out on the bottom and cut short of the middle step. Is that suppose to be that way? It looks like it should slide out but as I try it moves but will not come out of the hole.
I know as a starter I have a lot of questions but I have yet to take possession of this coach and I'm sure the questions will only become more detailed as I go through the unit. I have a friend that has an excel and loves it and thats why I bought this unit. He told me something about the factory will polish/ re-gelcoat the outside and put new graphics on the unit for $1200 is that true?
Thanks for any and all input,
Bruce
fishndaflats is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Here, call the factory and ask to talk with the Service center. Jack or Ralph can answer your questions

Peterson Industries

616 E Highway 36
Smith Center, KS 66967-9592
Toll Free: 800-368-3759
Fax: 785-282-3810
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hey Fish,
Welcome to the forum. We have a 2005 30SKW. Not sure I am following you, "Cut short of the middle step". The bottom step on my unit is notched on the bottom. When the LR/DR slide comes in there is about an 8in "foot" that sticks out from the bottom of the slide wall. This "foot" goes under the bottom step and the bottom step is then pushed into a recess under the shower. The bottom step is pushed back out by a hydraulic cylinder. Hope this helps.
RET FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Excel has had some leak issues for some time. Personally, I'd be inclined to walk away fro m it unless you are getting one heck of a deal.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Excel has had some leak issues for some time. Personally, I'd be inclined to walk away fro m it unless you are getting one heck of a deal.

Ken
Ken, Please explain why the leak issue is Excel specific and not something more related to improper owner maintenance thus affecting all manufacturers RV’s

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:09 AM   #6

Thanks to all who responded. After further pondering I chose to pass on this unit. Still on the hunt for a 5th wheel and one day will find the unit I am looking for.
Once again thanks for the input
Bruce
fishndaflats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Paul, there is one very extensive thread here detailing all of the repairs to an Excel, due to water leaks and rot. It is a pronounced problem with wood framed trailers. Excel has committed to improving on quality and try to eliminate the leak issues. Over the next few years, it will tell if they have cured the problems of quality and leaks.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll gather plenty of info here to take care of the issue your discussing. Good luck on the 5'er purchase and hope it all works out.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
There are very extencive threads in every manufacturers fourms about leaks and floor rot. All RV's have wood floors that water infiltration will damage. I would be more worried about frame failure that you see in mass produced I beam or C channel frames from 3rd party suppilers. Excel builds there own fully boxed frames.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Very well said Chief02. All builders of Rv's have issues and because of this some of them have went out of business. I bought my first Excel used back in 1999 and it was 7 years old at the time. I went to several RV shows looking at other brands and found very few that were as nice as my old unit. That surprised me and I will always look at an Excel as one of my first choices along with a couple other brands. I do feel the the best 5th wheel units built today are privately owned companies. They have no stockholders to please and quality built units will always be at the top of the list for buyers.

fishndaflats, good luck on finding the 5th wheel of your dreams. It is out there and you will find it.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishndaflats View Post

I am in the process of purchasing my first 5th wheel and we chose a 2003 excel 30 skw. There seems to be an issue with the large slide on the port side, the salesman told me that is started to delaminate so the previous owner ran through bolts (carriage) through the outside to the inside. Then he covered with plywood on the inside.

Little background on myself, I am a boat carpenter so the fix is no problem. What I am wondering since this unit has these bolts, and I sure the ply on the inside is to cover up the nuts, I wont know the header situation until I tear out the ply but does Excel still have the blue faux finish wall paper? can I buy the plywood paneling with the wall paper on it?

He told me something about the factory will polish/ re-gelcoat the outside and put new graphics on the unit for $1200 is that true?

Bruce
You might want to look at the series of post I did in the '101' stickie at the top of the page. Start with Post # 86. I had to repair the 'Short Wall' and Header above my curbside slide due to moisture damage. The series of post will run about 10 and covers the complete repair for trim removal to the last screw going back. Will abmit it wasn't a pretty sight when I started taking the paneling off to start what I thought was a simple project. All said and done...if it wasn't for having the knowledge, tools and time to complete...it could have been a very expensive repair to have someone do. Still it wasn't something I would have chose to do but something that needed to be done correctly and felt comfortable with it when it was repaired. Don't know if I would have trusted anyone other than PI to make this repair.

It's hard to know what the total repair or issues are as we can't see what you see...and really won't know until it is opened for inspection. As I inspected and caulked everything when I brought the Beast home in 2007....all my problems were the result of two prior owners who didn't maintain the outside as well as they did the inside of the unit. I make part of my living making repairs to homes that weren't either built well or not maintained by the owners. So it's not just a 5th wheel thing.

If you like the unit enough to make this type of repair...might be more involved or less...print some pages of the damage/repair I did and give it to the salesperson with a price you are will to pay and see what the bottom of the price bucket they are willing to go....

Give up on the paneling...I couldn't find my pattern anywhere and ended up stealing from another part of the camper and adding to the overall repair of the unit. Was extra time involved but well worth it in the end.

When I checked PI about graphics on my 2001 back in 2007, the price of the replacement package was over a $1,000 if I can remember.

workhorse
Old 03-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Paul, there is one very extensive thread here detailing all of the repairs to an Excel, due to water leaks and rot. It is a pronounced problem with wood framed trailers. Excel has committed to improving on quality and try to eliminate the leak issues.
Ken
I think 'that be me'.

I will have to say that, I had more than my share of moisture issues with the 2001 unit that I owned.

I will have to say that, being someone that likes the science of building things as well as how to make it better....that there were a some design or fit problems that aided in some of the problems in the earlier models that caused moisture problems....but have to give credit that with Rockin' 2005, those areas on mine were corrected.

I will have to say that, my exposure to other Excels over the years have been limited and few so can't give an objective opion to there repair statue today.

Will say wood frame or not, the overall built of my unit was such that even with the damage to the sidewall and header over the main slide, I don't think another unit would have held up as well as the Beast did with the same problems. For over four years the only evidence of a problem was a small 'lift-up' of the wall covering on a corner of the header paneling.

I will admit...I blame the two prior owners of my unit for any moisture problems the Beast has had. PI can built the thing, do what they do and sent them out the door....but if the end owner doesn't maintain the sealants and other items on the unit...Excel or not...their could be problems. One of the things I find intersting about 'Building Science' is how or why one home is damaged by one of our Florida storms and another isn't. Why some have had issues with their floors and mind never has. Why my header?

I sold my Excel this week not because I didn't like the unit...it was because it has gotten to big for us. If I remember correctly in my first post in the '101' that it was older and bigger then what we were initally looking for. In the +4 years we owned the Beast, I never has a problem with anything on the unit, other than general maintenance, and when I gave a pre-bought walk through to the couple that bought it, even the oven lite on the second try.

Since I'm in the....I will have to say that mode....I did buy a 2000 Alpenlite 29 ft Valhalla. I do like the aluminum framing...it was a one owner and kept under a cover when not used, well maintained and can see many upgrades and mod's that will be done to her, Val, in the coming months. I did inspect her closely and found to moisture issues...for which I am happy. I did do a search for both Excels in the Florida area as well as Alpenlites, which was my first choice. But liked the 29 Valhalla because of the floorplan, huge windows, three holding tanks, etc....Plus the price. I'm very happy and the couple who is now the owners of the Beast are also.

workhorse

Tags
excel