Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #1

Help!

Sewage backed up in the toilet and I thought the tanks were full. Dumped tanks and I still had water in the toilet. I can pull air up from the tank into the toilet with a plunger but the water level will go down. I am completely baffled and heading to the store for a snake. Anybody have any ideas?
Live 2 Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 07:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live 2 Camp View Post
Sewage backed up in the toilet and I thought the tanks were full. Dumped tanks and I still had water in the toilet. I can pull air up from the tank into the toilet with a plunger but the water level will go down. I am completely baffled and heading to the store for a snake. Anybody have any ideas?
Are you like me and type to fast and have fat fingers...If you are heading to the store for a snake do you still have a problem....or are you saying that with an empty tank you still have a clogged in the line. Forgive me if I'm confused, it's Saturday at my house.

If you still have a clog, you must have something stuck in the pipe between the toilet and tank or at it's entry into the tank. On my prior Excel and the Alpenlite, both pipes had a bend before entering the tank. Would guess a snake or something that's 'bendable' can be pushed to clear the blockage.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:28 PM   #3

Do you have a second toilet, which is on a macerator?
Old 06-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #4

Yep, sure messed that up. Water level WON'T go down.

Back at our site from the dump station and waiting on the Mrs to return with a manual snake. I ran a flexible, plastic rod down the toilet to see if I could disrupt whatever was plugging the pipe but hit something firm near the tank. I'm hoping it's the edge of the pipe joint and not something mechanical blocking it. Wouldn't have any idea what that would be since the toilet seems to be intact.

Ya, fat fingered and my bad eyes couldn't proof read at the dump station! Lol
Old 06-11-2016, 10:46 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
The holding tanks are sloped on the bottom. In 2009, I believe we were draining the toilet on the high, or shallow end of the tank. If your toilet it in the front of the bathroom, (near the bedroom) and facing backwards, I'm sure your toilet drained into the shallow end of the tank. My first guess is that the black water tank would regularly get completely drained and then would not get refilled to where there would be water in the bottom of the tank (usually around 1/3 full). Then when using the toilet, the solids would fall into a dry tank and mound up.

Most of us have been through this at least once in our camping adventure. It's not a fun job but you're probably going to have to pull the toilet and, using a snake, dig it out, flush.... repeat.

Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:05 AM   #6

I ran the snake last night and there was a definite obstruction - something solid. After much work I finally got it to drain and move water. I ran into trouble when I flushed a partial bowl of water it moved whatever was in the plumbing and plugged again. I have a feeling the PO dropped something in there and it's going to give me a headache until I get it out.

I ran 12' of snake so I know it was coiled in the tank but the obstruction seems to be right at the base of the pipe. I'm going to try to run a bore scope down this afternoon and find long mechanical tigers to retrieve whatever it is. In complete silence I can flush then hear it gurgle as the water passes the obstruction then trickle as it falls into the tank.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:18 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
You may in fact have some sort of not normal item obstructing the flow. That you should soon determine with the endo scope.

Here's something we ran into. We always test our TP with the water jar test. Well I thought we always did. We had determined a brand of TP that would dissolve after 15 seconds of shaking in a small jar of water. The DW bought the same brand and we used it. After 4-5 days at a CG slow then no water flow from the bowl. I talked with a few camping friends and was assured that the TP we bought even though it was the same brand did not pass the water test. The area below the bowel was packed with TP. We changed TP, did not dump the tank so we had a lot of water sloshing around and drove home. It eventually cleared out.

Now we always test a new package of TP just to assure that the manufacturer didn't change how they make it. Do the jar shake test on your TP just to make sure it will dissolve and therefore is not contributing to your blockage issue.

Here's another thing that might happen. At least I have read on some forums that it has. During the manufacturer of holding tanks sometimes they might cut a hole for sewer fittings and not remove the cut out circle. I know that sure seems like a dumb thing to do. Eventually it becomes an obstruction.

TeJay
Old 06-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
live 2 camp...have had a similar problem and after get the plug cleared you still have the problem of the TP build up in the tank. I have that filling up the toilet bowl with water and letting if "drop" into the tank displaces the toilet paper in the tank. You may have to do this several times. good luck
cwo4mstumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:55 PM   #9

Ok, finally got off work at a decent hour so had the time to borrow a "borescope" and do some exploring. Turns out the PO liked to flush tampons and there was roughly 18" of tampons plugging the drain pipe. Removing the tampons up through the toilet wasn't successful so we were left with no other choice but to take the plug to the black tank. We modified a drain snake with wire barbs to chew through the plug and forced a hose past the plug. Once the hose was past the plug we began chewing away at the bottom of the plug since attacking from the top only packed it harder into the pipe. The borescope aided with keeping the hose within the plug. We were finally successful and gave the black tank a good flush and confirmed the tampons were safely flushed from the tank.

This was a nightmare we don't want to experience again. Was kinda spooky not having a house to retreat to.

Thanks to everyone.

Edit: I should add that we took this time to inspect the tank and it looked great!
Old 06-12-2016, 11:05 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Kyle for the update. I was trying to think of some stupid comment I could make.....but couldn't! Are you positive they were tampons and not pads? That's a bunch of tampons! You have to wonder if a bunch fell into the toilet at once. Hmmmm. I'm just glad you got it fixed. One thing for sure......you can't make a story like this up! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:09 AM   #11

When I was still working, plumber to the office said tampons were a plumbers goldmine. It's the strings on them, get entangled. I know way too much info. We have always stressed to the granddaughters in both houses, stick and brick, rv, to wrap and use wastebasket. Not a comfortable conversation for sure, but saves lots of money.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:08 AM   #12

It could have been a combination of pads and tampons but I can tell you I retrieved a string with the snake. We are just relived to have it outta there!

I remember having the tampon talk with my daughter and the look in her face. Lol
Old 06-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
So now your rig is officially in menopause!!! I'm bad.....
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #14

Then that puts her closer to my age No wonder I was attracted to her!