Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2007, 10:07 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Need some advice in choosing a hitch for our truck. We have a GMC 5500 which is just the cab and chassis. We will be putting a flat bed on it so height of frame rails and bed will be about 38". One of the guys that quoted a body for our truck said that a low profile 5th wheel hitch will be needed to keep the pin height level and many of the common ones used are too high. Holland makes a 4" low profile hitch (model FW6000) which is what this guy quoted. Holland also makes a 6" mini hitch (FW 0001) which appears like it would work but I do not know alot about hitches and what types of features it should have. The "low profile" Reese hitch is still 9 1/2 - 12" high which seems too high.I see that many of you drive big trucks. What hitches are you using ? Does anyone know anything about either of the Holland hitches I mention here ? Any and all info would be appreciated. Thanks !!
Lindaxtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2007, 10:07 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Need some advice in choosing a hitch for our truck. We have a GMC 5500 which is just the cab and chassis. We will be putting a flat bed on it so height of frame rails and bed will be about 38". One of the guys that quoted a body for our truck said that a low profile 5th wheel hitch will be needed to keep the pin height level and many of the common ones used are too high. Holland makes a 4" low profile hitch (model FW6000) which is what this guy quoted. Holland also makes a 6" mini hitch (FW 0001) which appears like it would work but I do not know alot about hitches and what types of features it should have. The "low profile" Reese hitch is still 9 1/2 - 12" high which seems too high.I see that many of you drive big trucks. What hitches are you using ? Does anyone know anything about either of the Holland hitches I mention here ? Any and all info would be appreciated. Thanks !!
Old 01-15-2007, 12:04 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
While I don't know any thing specific about these particular hitches, we did have a Mountain Master air ride hitch on a Freightliner FL-60 we had that had a Holland-Binkley head on it that we REALLY liked! The Holland-Binkley head on our MM air ride hitch looked much like the FW0001 at this site (may even be the same one).

We've had a B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch and Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch installed in our new Dodge 3500, and the Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch has a head on it that works in much the same way as the Holland-Binkley we had.

I don't know which Reese hitch you're looking at, but we really like the way the Holland Binkley head works, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend a hitch that had that head on it.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:10 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Hi Linda,
Thanks so much for your reply. Was the FW0001 easy to hook up to and release. I don't want one I have to wrestle with and kill my back to release. That is the Holland hitch I'm leaning towards but even when I call the Holland reps I can's get info out of them about the differences between the FW0001 and FW6000, other than there being a big dif in cost.
Many are saying that the Holland hitches are rigid and makes for a tugging motion when towing but we have a glide ride pin box which I would think would even that out (at least that is what it's supposed to do).
Old 01-16-2007, 11:25 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
The Holland Binley head we had on our MM air ride hitch was very each to hookup and unhook. It consisted simply of moving a lever -- there was no arm that needed to be pulled like so many hitches.

I can't tell you what the difference is between the 2 models. As I said, the one we had looked like the FW0001. Is there someplace close to you where you can go down and look at both and see how they operate?

You might want to post this question on the Escapees discussion forums under either the MDT or the HDT forum...maybe someone over there knows the difference between these two hitch heads. http://escapees.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x