Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #15

Well the train has left the station and only hope the ticket takes me to the end.

Thanks 75v.....your photos were the answer. Decided to just open the wall after viewing the photos as that's where most of the discovery come from anyway.

Found old water damage below the window and along the bottom of the wall. The area was dry inside so the area being caulked properly at some point had helped, just to late. The floor had no damage for some unknown reason but won't conplain about something good.

Area is cleaned and presently installing a new 2 x 2 bottom plate to rebuild the wall. Have the outside trim on the slide off to see why the wall in that corner was leaning outward. Looks like it's a bad repair by the selling dealer....just CAN'T get good help. The way its glued together, might have to live with what I got. Will have to see how the floor affects the overall situation.

Back to the train.

Platform/floor the walls sit on.

Walls are screwed to the floor along the bottom of the wall.

Had to remove the sofa, heavy little devil.

The train has left the station!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Chris,

Great pixs. Thanks for sharing the info. Glad to hear you don't have any water damage.

Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:41 AM   #17

As I always enjoy others giving an update to issues and problems they have as it helps to connect problems with solutions_____I have finished the repairs on the slide except replacing a nose cone and roller bracket which hopefully will be here Thursday.

Had several problems that in the end didn't totally connect to one another and the completion on one didn't solve the other. Was hoping when the wall was rebuilt and attached to the floor it would correct the wall leaning issue. It didn't. Don't have a solution for it at present and don't think the nose cone or brackets will correct it. Believe the leaning is a result of the prior rear skirt repair by the selling dealer.

The front skirt was repaired because of prior water damage where the ram plate bolt attaches. That area was repaired and a new bolt installed and this time behind the trim.

The front vertical alignment problem wasn't an alignment problem at all. After the slide cover was disconnected to inspect the space/gap around the slide___it was equal on the left, the top and the top right corner and tapered to the bottom. Upon inspection and removing most of the trim on the slide, it was determined the front right side slide flange was installed out of alignment or tight to the corner. As a result, there was a 1/4" gap at the bottom. The gap at the bottom almost rubbed before and have almost 1/2" after moving the trim. Not perfect but got all I can get.

Also went back and 'cleaned-up' the repair that was make to the rear skirt. Made the area more weather proof and installed and cleaned up the trim pieces during a prior repair.

Then there is the nose cone that was damaged as a result of the wall/floor issue that started this all off.

Oh! almost forgot I also aligned the slide by setting up the timing between the front and rear inner rails or rams. Thanks to Ted and Jack at PI and Al Talley for their information.

For sure left something out!?!?!

Have at least a 1000 post for '101' from this project. Will do a post there when I get them together in something that makes sense.

Chris

Front skirt repaired__trim corrected. Need to recaulk other side now!

Slide aligned with body by making a rear gear adjustment.

Top leaning out about +1/2 inch. Rear, left top corner only.

Doesn't get any better than this.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Chris,

Nice job! That is looking great from when we did the "inspection" at your place in March.

If you keep getting the old "beast" fixed up, we'll have to take it out for a "Christening". I would even sacrifice one of my finer bottles of "Oak Leaf"!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #19

Tom, I could have used the Oak Leaf a week ago when the old body was starting to slow down and the DW was giving me one of those "your not finished yet" looks.

Hoping to get it out in a couple of weeks. A short vacation and then back to work.

If you were here, I sure would go for the Christening.