Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Hello,

Now that I've run out of my first bottle of propane, I wonder how to monitor the levels. On my prior motorhome, my monitor panel showed the level in the tank, in addition to a gauge on the tank. On my 33RSe, nothin.

What to do? Do you?
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Hello,

Now that I've run out of my first bottle of propane, I wonder how to monitor the levels. On my prior motorhome, my monitor panel showed the level in the tank, in addition to a gauge on the tank. On my 33RSe, nothin.

What to do? Do you?
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:48 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Bruce,
One option is to install an LP Indicator such as this one on RvUpgrades. There are also tape LP fuel level indicators.
John
Old 10-05-2007, 04:51 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Bruce and Jenna,

I open the valve on both tanks and look at the green/red flag on the regulator. When the flag turns red I flip the lever and then take the empty tank to be filled. The frequency that I look at the flag varies by the time of the year. In the summer when the only demand is the stove and water heater I may only look at it weekly. (And only need propane once or twice a month if at that.) In the winter I look at it about daily and sometimes need propane twice a week if the weather is below freezing.

The regulator that I have does have the ability to support a remote monitor but I have not bothered to get one. I do not think that the remote monitor indicates levels but just relay the red/green status.

Curt and Bonnie
2005 35MKO
2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel

2005 35MKO
Curtis Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:15 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Hi Bruce,

Without getting into details, if you not familiar with the switch over system, I will share some characteristics. When the original tank gets low, the indicator will start to go to red and may move back to green (vacillate back and forth), depending on the load on the propane system and ambient temps. When the indicator goes to a "hard" red, then the original tank is completely empty and you've used approximately 1/4 of the second tank. You'll never get as long a life on your secondary tank as you did on the original. This confuses many people. That's why it is good to refill the original tank ASAP. Won't get into why it does this, but confirm this with the design engineer Ed Lee at Leggitt. Just FYI, so there is no surprises. As I'm sure you know, the furnace is the propane "hog". I'm amazed of how little the refer uses. I think a tank would last at least a month or more on the refer alone(if run on propane only). Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:37 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
I've never found any kind of guage or strip to be very accurate, except for the kind found on frame mounted tanks, used on motorhomes. Here is what someone told me to try. Pour a little hot water down the side of the tank, then run your finger down the tank to where the tank temperature changes from warm to cold. That's the level of the LP. Give it a try...it works!
camperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:08 AM   #7

Bruce,
I came across This indicator by Marshall Gas and as you may know is also the manufacturer of the change over system on your rig. I also spoke to Ed Lee at Marshall Gas and he said with it you can watch the proscess of the tank switching proccess from in your coach by the light on indicator. Also I was informed that it may need to be adjusted if itr shows empty when not and to send it to Ed at Marshall gas and he will correct it at no charge. Sorry I dont recall all the details.
Good Luck

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:23 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Paul,
I have one those Marshall inside coach indicators. The early ones had too short of a shaft (lamp flashes all the time) and Ed Lee fixed them himself if you sent it to him. That was only on a few early models. I bought one on Ebay for $24.00 bucks shipped and it works fine. Recommend using alkaline batteries. Bob (highgturn) has one too and loves it.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote