Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2007, 02:30 AM   #1

Hi all, I just sent an email to Excel asking this same question but I thought someone on here might know the answer.
On Excels website the Hydralift MC Carrier is no longer listed as an option. Have they done away with this? And if so does anyone know why?
Maybe because now they have a toy hauler and they want to push that product instead.
There are many reason why we are looking at Excels but the MC Carrier was also one of those reasons.
If anyone can answer any of these questions I would appreciate it.
Thanks

2005 36RE3 Mobile Suites
Jim & Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2007, 02:30 AM   #2

Hi all, I just sent an email to Excel asking this same question but I thought someone on here might know the answer.
On Excels website the Hydralift MC Carrier is no longer listed as an option. Have they done away with this? And if so does anyone know why?
Maybe because now they have a toy hauler and they want to push that product instead.
There are many reason why we are looking at Excels but the MC Carrier was also one of those reasons.
If anyone can answer any of these questions I would appreciate it.
Thanks

2005 36RE3 Mobile Suites
Old 10-18-2007, 03:34 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Good morning.

It's true. As of this week Peterson Industries is no longer offering the Hydralift motorcycle carrier as an option. The reason is that after getting a number of them into the field, it seems to be one of those options that we perceive in our mind to be the answer to our problems, but in reality, more than a few family members who own them say they didn't live up to their expectations.

By this I mean that we imagine that our motorcycle can go with us wherever we go now and not take up any living space. While this is true, we are getting reports that people aren't satisfied with the amount of movement and bouncing the motorcycle is doing while in motion. Also, as you can imagine, after a day's driving, some people didn't like that their expensive motorcycle was filthy from road dust, etc.

We had one customer want us to buy his back because he didn't like the way the motorcycle made his coach track while turning. We mentioned that our warranty only guarantees that the product will perform without defect and in the manner in which it was intended. We can't guarantee that you will like a certain option if you choose that option.

One neat benefit that we got from the Hydralift option was that I believe that we've proven without a doubt that we have the strongest frame in the industry.

Over time, we could see that the real answer that many customers wanted was to have a SURV that didn't LOOK like a SURV, so we decided it would be beneficial for us to invest our efforts into designing a really nice toy hauler.

For those of you who were considering a Hydralift motorcycle carrier, we still do have ONE left in inventory that we will install on a new coach.

Respectfully,

Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:49 AM   #4

Thank You for the reply Bryan. That leads to another question. If I was to buy an Excel and have a Hydralift installed after market would that void or affect the frame warranty in any way? Sorry but we really don't want a toy hauler.
I guess I should hurry up and decide so we could get the last one you have in inventory.
Thanks again.

2005 36RE3 Mobile Suites
Old 10-18-2007, 05:16 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Jim and Bertie..Just buy the Excel that you like and get an Idaho Tote or a swivel wheel trailer to carry that bike!
camperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:26 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by camperguy:
Jim and Bertie..Just buy the Excel that you like and get an Idaho Tote or a swivel wheel trailer to carry that bike! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is doable as long as it doesn't void the warranty. I Wanted to do that with the Mobile Suite but the company said no way. As long as it's OK with Excel I'm OK with it. It does sound like the Excel has a strong frame. Now if I could just hear from someone on the wall thickness of the frame maybe that would make me a little more comfortable.

2005 36RE3 Mobile Suites
Old 10-18-2007, 05:38 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One neat benefit that we got from the Hydralift option was that I believe that we've proven without a doubt that we have the strongest frame in the industry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Bryan,

Can you provide stats to support this belief? Number installed, percent of problems, percent of problems encountered by other manufacturers?

Thanks,
Bob
Bob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:47 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
One of the things that impressed me is the frame that Excel uses. I believe it is a 2"x10" 1/4" tubular steel frame. It is doubled over the axle area. If you compare it with other companies you will see that many use an 8" or 10" I beam, which is not nearly as rigid because it is only single wall. Also, most companies do not double up the frame over the axles.
camperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:06 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
ok... I'm a victim of "DDM" (dumb decision making). I'm afraid I pulled the trigger a bit too quickly on the motorcycle lift issue. I went back and researched the archives. It appears that most of the complaints have been as a result of installing the lift on 35' & 36' models.

There is just too much distance behind the axles to provide an adaquate ride for the bike without excessive bounce.

Therefore, we are going to partially unwind our decision and will allow the Hydralift on 33' models and below ONLY.

We will also allow only motorcycles. No ATV's, Golf carts, etc.

The maximum combined weight will remain at 1,000#

For those of you who are curious, the lift provides approximately a 3 to 1 ratio, meaning that if you put 1,000# on the back, it will reduce your pin weight by approximately 350#.

Hope this will satisfy the majority of our customers.

BT
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote