Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2014, 11:09 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Hydraulic landing gear problem/question

We just bought this 2007 30RKE yesterday and I wanted to find out if this is normal. I was leveling the coach and found that the pump will run for a couple of seconds, before the landing gear moves. It then moves/lunges and I can hear a pop when it finally cuts loose. The rear stabilizers don't do it, only the landing gear.

Could it be, because it hasn't been used much, for the last year? Is it something that might go away?

We are still in the Camping World campground, waiting for our washer and dryer to be installed tomorrow (Monday) Is this something that I should make them fix?
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
My hydraulic landing gear moves slowly and smoothly. Landing gear is a critical component. If it fails you may not be able to load or unload your 5th wheel. I would definitely make sure you were satisfied before leaving CW.

Don
Old 12-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #3

Sounds like something is sticking then breaking free. Not sure if an air bubble would do something similar as the gas compressed until enough force was generated to get the piston moving. Either way something is not right. In a proper system any change in the hydraulic fluid should mirror smoothly as movement in the piston.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Oh without a doubt, I'd have them look at it for sure. It sounds like it could slipping on one of the beveled gears inside the jack. Better to have it looked at now than later for sure.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
I was leveling the coach and found that the pump will run for a couple of seconds, before the landing gear moves. It then moves/lunges and I can hear a pop when it finally cuts loose.
I would suspect a bad valve.
Rob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Thanks for the replies.. I informed them and it is in the service department now..
Old 12-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
EMD, The event you are describing may be a normal noise. Since the slide ram rods have adjust nuts that are set so the the slide room has it's proper travel both on extending or retracting, there is some slack. When the room is completely open or completely closed. The ram has to travel somewhere around 2-3 inches before the room moves. The ram is threaded and sometimes will make a chatter type noise until the nut on the ram makes full contact with the mounted plate. Do not adjust those nuts to take of that slack out.....as it will result in the room trying to go in or out too far causing room damage. Adjustments on this slide system should be left up to a Excel qualified tech or someone familiar with this setup.

2007 was the first year Excel installed hydraulic slides/jack. There were some issues that pertained to this model both in the valving with the Lippert system and the mounting the slide rails to the slide side walls. You can do a search in this forum and see some of this stuff in the past. I'm posting a couple of pix to help understand. HTHs rockin'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RS Slide Stop Installation 001 (Copy).JPG
Views:	98
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	81620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charm slide platesw 002 [1024x768].JPG
Views:	110
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	81621  

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
EMD, Adjustments on this slide system should be left up to an Excel qualified tech or someone familiar with this setup.

rockin'
Sounds like I need to start familiarizing myself with this system...
Old 01-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
I just got off the phone with Ralph... That guy knows his stuff!

His "Fix" is to disconnect two wires in the remote pendant and splice the ends together. There is a black, blue and white wire, going into a delay timer. He advised to cut the black wire and blue wire, then splice the two ends together. He called the delay timer a "Design flaw" and said it should never have been used. It's purpose, was to build up some pump pressure, before the landing gear valves open. On our Excel, it only causes the unit to lunge up, or down violently.

I posted this "Fix" as both an update and for future reference.. In case someone else runs into the same problem.. Also, so I wouldn't forget!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:26 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
My apologies to you Gary....I'm talking slides...your talking jacks. There has been many threads on this issue over the years. On my second Excel I took the delay out of the pentant before it left the lot when new.

I'm gonna hafta do a better job of reading the post. I appearly am just scanning the post and making stuff in my head as I go. Sorry. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 01-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
My apologies to you Gary....I'm talking slides...your talking jacks. There has been many threads on this issue over the years. On my second Excel I took the delay out of the pentant before it left the lot when new.

I'm gonna hafta do a better job of reading the post. I appearly am just scanning the post and making stuff in my head as I go. Sorry. rockin'
No worries! I was going to post about a slide noise, in another post.. My dining table/sofa slide makes a shuddering sound, for the first foot of travel, when bringing it in and the last foot of travel when extending it..

I learned a lot from your post, so again, no worries! Actually, Thanks!!
Old 01-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
I just got off the phone with Ralph... That guy knows his stuff!

His "Fix" is to disconnect two wires in the remote pendant
I'm not familiar with the word " pendant". What/where is this? I need to check mine. If convenient could you post pics?

Thanks, Don
dw8ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8ite View Post
I'm not familiar with the word " pendant". What/where is this? I need to check mine. If convenient could you post pics?

Thanks, Don
Hi Don,

The pendant, refers to the wired hydraulic controller. Here's a pic from the Excel owner's manual:

Old 01-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Don, I don't think your 11 model has it. You'd a known what it was as the switches on the pentant are known for frequent failures. I think yours has the switches on the outside up underneath the slide like mine. rockin'