Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2017, 08:41 AM   #1

Hydraulic Levelers - Manufacturer?

Newbie here...I have a used 2012 Winslow 34IKE and I was wondering if anyone knows the manufacturer of the hydraulic level system? Or how can I figure out the manufacturer? Unfortunately bought used and unit had no manuals. So I am slowly creating my own to keep for record. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Mike
5thdimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
My 2013 Excel Winslow 34IKE has Lippert Level Up autoleveling hydraulic jacks.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #3
JDT

The Excel manual was rather generic and not a whole lot of help. I also have the Lippert Level Up system. The owners manuals for the individual systems were a lot more use to me. Once you know what you have see if you can find the manual for it online.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:51 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Welcome to the Excel forum 5th! Lippert (LCI) makes all the later model hydraulics on your Excel.

Mike, please update your signature to include you rig info for easy reference. Thanks.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #5

Auto level

I have a Winslow 31rle. I have been considering adding an auto level system. I see that Excel was using lippert....a few questions: how reliable are they? Are they more trouble than they’re worth (right now I use the Anderson plastic “bananas”) and if I decide to spend the $ would it be worth it to head up to Smith Center to have them do the work?
Thanks
Jpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #6

I went through some extensive research on hydraulic leveling systems and settled on a Bigfoot semi-auto/manual system. I didn't spend the extra $1K for full auto, but with the remote control in hand I can monitor levels F/R or L/R on an external electronic level I installed or simply watch a large bulls eye level I put on DW's stove. don't want the eggs on one side of the pan.... the Lippert system was impressive, but when I put them on the spot asking if it would lift the coach to change a flat tire out on the road, they avoided that question and wouldn't guarantee it..... Bigfoot said " no problem, go right ahead". done deal. works wonderful....no more fooling around with boards.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:08 AM   #7
JDT

I haven't had any issues with my Lippert system. I've also used it to lift the wheels on one side off the ground but only a few times when I was doing something with the suspension. I'm not sure if it makes any difference in the cost but the Lippert system used on mine has 4 jacks, not 6 like some. The 4 work very well on our 34 and would surely be fine on your 31. I stand to be corrected but I think this was because the fully boxed frame is strong enough to handle 2 less jacks. Anyway, it works well and is pretty solid.

Smith Center might be a good idea for the install as they would know exactly what to do.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #8

Thanks padutchmnm and jdt.....padutchmnm does your Bigfoot setup use 4 or 6 legs....and where did you have them installed?
Jpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #9

my bigfoot system has 4. front standard landing gear location and rear about a foot behind the rear wheels. I can also supplement with the stock rear stabilizers if I choose to, but usually don't. it's pretty solid.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #10

sorry, I missed the second part of your question.....I had the system installed at K&D Truck Bodies near Lancaster PA. they were recommended by Bigfoot and were quite convenient for me. I considered taking the coach to Bigfoot for installation at the factory, but once I learned about K&D, I decided to let them do it. that saved me a week of travel expenses and I'm very pleased with the workmanship. it's just a small shop, but they take the time to do it right.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:16 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I haven't had any issues with my Lippert system. I've also used it to lift the wheels on one side off the ground but only a few times when I was doing something with the suspension. I'm not sure if it makes any difference in the cost but the Lippert system used on mine has 4 jacks, not 6 like some. The 4 work very well on our 34 and would surely be fine on your 31. I stand to be corrected but I think this was because the fully boxed frame is strong enough to handle 2 less jacks. Anyway, it works well and is pretty solid.

Smith Center might be a good idea for the install as they would know exactly what to do.
A little story I was told about the use of only two sets of jacks on EXCEL trailers that I think Bryan told me when we were talking to him at Fort Worth RV show.

If I remember this correctly, I was talking to Bryan at the Fort Worth RV show a year or two before we purchased our EXCEL. One of the questions I asked him about was why the EXCEL only had two sets of jacks instead of three like most trailers. He stated during the process of planning how to add hydraulic jacks to the EXCEL line, Lippert questioned Peterson Industries' decision to use only two jacks. Lippert stated that only two sets of jacks would result in excessive frame flexing. PI was confident in the strength of their frame and deemed a third set was not needed. Lippert was not convinced. So PI delivered one of their 5th wheel models to Lippert to test. After testing, Lippert agreed that two sets of jacks was sufficient for the PI trailers. The frame of the EXCEL line was one of the things that impressed me most about the quality of the EXCEL trailer. We looked at trailers for over 5 years before we purchased our EXCEL. Unfortunately, while the frame was still strong, the quality of the rest of the trailer suffered during the recession and subsequent years until PI was forced to close their doors.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:58 PM   #12
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
A little story I was told about the use of only two sets of jacks on EXCEL trailers that I think Bryan told me when we were talking to him at Fort Worth RV show.

If I remember this correctly, I was talking to Bryan at the Fort Worth RV show a year or two before we purchased our EXCEL. One of the questions I asked him about was why the EXCEL only had two sets of jacks instead of three like most trailers. He stated during the process of planning how to add hydraulic jacks to the EXCEL line, Lippert questioned Peterson Industries' decision to use only two jacks. Lippert stated that only two sets of jacks would result in excessive frame flexing. PI was confident in the strength of their frame and deemed a third set was not needed. Lippert was not convinced. So PI delivered one of their 5th wheel models to Lippert to test. After testing, Lippert agreed that two sets of jacks was sufficient for the PI trailers. The frame of the EXCEL line was one of the things that impressed me most about the quality of the EXCEL trailer. We looked at trailers for over 5 years before we purchased our EXCEL. Unfortunately, while the frame was still strong, the quality of the rest of the trailer suffered during the recession and subsequent years until PI was forced to close their doors.
I think I heard that story before.

As far as quality, I guess I've been lucky as the only issues I've had has been with some minor components. Nothing structural at all. I am meticulous with maintenance and caulking any possible leak areas. Maybe mine was built on a good day. It was built in 2012 so maybe there was still some hope for survival. We did go look at it while it was still on the line so maybe they made sure we would be impressed.

I do have a bit of an advantage as mine lives indoors when not on the road. It still shines like new.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:59 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I think I heard that story before.

As far as quality, I guess I've been lucky as the only issues I've had has been with some minor components. Nothing structural at all. I am meticulous with maintenance and caulking any possible leak areas. Maybe mine was built on a good day. It was built in 2012 so maybe there was still some hope for survival. We did go look at it while it was still on the line so maybe they made sure we would be impressed.

I do have a bit of an advantage as mine lives indoors when not on the road. It still shines like new.
Jim,

The things I was talking about was basically attention-to-detail issues. Trim not properly attached, drawer latches in back of drawer coming through the wood into the drawer, cabinet joints not fitting correctly requiring matching tape to hide exposed bare wood joint from showing, fixtures and electrical outlets not installed plumb, windows installed too tight to open window, and some of the knot holes in the wood trim that has glue showing through. I will admit I think the knots in the wood add character but the glue showing seems like an "I don't care!" attitude. The first time I gave an EXCEL a good going over was in 2005 or 2006. The quality was there and I should have taken another close look in 2012 before I bought the trailer but I didn't. Even if I had, I would have probably still bought the EXCEL but would have been a little more aware of what I consider were cost shortcuts. It is still a well-built trailer.

Our trailer also still looks new. I keep our trailer in an enclosed unit in an RV storage area. It's a little pricey but I think of it as preservation insurance.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:22 AM   #14

I've not heard of, talked to, or read about anyone replacing a Bigfoot hyd. system with SOB (some other brand).

Has anyone?
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, levelers