Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #1

Hydraulic Slide Problem

Hello fellow Excel owners. I am not new to this forum but this is my first post. I have a 2007 30RSO with 3 slides: parlor, sofa and bedroom. My problem is with the sofa slide (jumbo). This problem began with the beginning of the 2014 camping season. The sofa slide will start to go out slowly and gets slower and finally just stops. It usually stops about a foot away from being fully extended.

I have tried the following remedies without success:
- lubricated what I could see of the track, but did not lube the track that is enclosed.
- Installed new batteries...2 marine grade, deep cycle, 6 volt batteries connected in series.
- took my rig to our local mobile RV repair guy. He tried a few things and then swapped the hydraulic lines that go to the jumbo and parlor slide. The jumbo slide went right out. He declared that the problem was fixed and that I needed a new solenoid. I was skeptical but said that I would give it a try. Next day, tried the slide...same problem. Local mobile RV guy says he will contact Lippert for possible solution. I bring the rig back and he tests the ram for hydraulic leaks...tested ok. He notices that the slide track, rollers, cogs, etc are pretty dry and need lubrication...he thinks that will fix the problem. He sells me a can of Zep Moly-Lube and I set out to complete the task. I lube everything that I see that is associated with the slide mechanism and hope for the best. The next day I try the slide, the problem is still there!

That brings us to today, have any of you folks experienced a problem like this? If so, what did you do to solve it? I have a trip scheduled to Smith Center later in the month if I do not find a solution. Any help or insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dalybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The early hydraulic system were problematic. Leaks, air in system, solenoid valve. I dont have personal experience with them but there are many discussions on here. Get as much info as you can b4 anyone else works on it. You can spend a lot of money chasing the root cause. SC may be your best bet.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Have to ask.....does the front and rear of the room go out at the same time? Another words....front and rear if the room seem to be in sync when opening and closing? rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:48 PM   #4

Well, as far as I can tell they seem to be in sync.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
One more thing that I thought of. Have someone run the room in and out, while your underneath and watch the hydraulic ram rod closely, especially on extracting the room. If the rod bends/flexes a bunch when the issue occurs, then you are sure the room it's self is dragging or binding. If not, you need to focus on the hydraulic portion of the system not producing enough pressure or power to move the room.

CAUTION: This hydraulic system is under extreme pressure (2500 psi or more) and can be very dangerous to your body. Instinct makes us want to touch and feel with our hands. Don't do it. Just observe!!! Damage can happen to your hands all too quick. Don't ask me how I know!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #6

Hi Rockin, Thanks for the info and safety tip...I do tend to throw caution to the wind on occasion (sometimes to my detriment), but not in this case! I have been under the rig and have not noticed anything peculiar about the ram rod. Perhaps I need to focus on the Hydraulics, however the other two slides, which are both smaller, seem to go out just fine...just the jumbo seems to have the issue. Dalybill

Tags
slide