Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2010, 06:18 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
I Have Internet Access

Actually, I've had it all along, but now it's mobile! I have DSL in the S&B house and a Netgear router, which we've been using since we moved into the coach this summer. Moving one step closer to purging ourselves from the house, and after a lot of research on this and the Escapees forums, I ordered a Cradlepoint MBR1000 router and Verizon UMW190 USB modem from 3Gstore.com. I don't have an external antenna or amplifier yet, but know that I can add it anytime in the future. Before my purchase, I talked to Scott at the 3GStore on several occasions. He was extremely helpful and answered all of my questions. Between the instructions on the 3GStore web site, the instructions that came with the router, and the informational CD that the 3GStore provided, set up was a snap. I located the router/modem in the cabinet behind the TV set, so it's out of sight and out of the way. The black box on the bottom shelf, BTW, is my external hard drive, which I use to back-up my laptop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cradlepoint.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	6633
gdbontly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Glenn,

Nice set up.....ya'lls a copy cat!!!! Just kiddin'.....Here's my Kyrocera router for my Verizon card. I have a suction cup antenna on the inside of kitchen table windowat the top behind the shade. I also have a roof top antenna when I need it. Strange as may seem....where we're at now I get better reception without any external antenna. rockin'

PS...don't forget to plug your Verizon card in your computer every once in a while.......to do any updates that may be out there. Mine won't detect updates in the router. rockin'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003 [800x600].jpg
Views:	67
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	6638  
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #3

About six months ago I purchased a Verison MIFI Device that is about the size of 4 credit cards stacked. The device connects to the 3G network anywhere that our Verison phones work and creates a secure wifi network that will allow up to five users at one time. I have had three users and it works as advertised. If the device is in the motorhome the network range is about 70 feet from the device.

Verizon Wireless MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot Review - Cell phone and smart phone accessories - CNET Reviews

The down side is $60 per month, a two year contract, and a limit of 5GB of data per month.
I have a business that requires me to have a internet connection and this device is worth every penny.

The battery life with heavy usage is about 4 hours and about 8 hours with occasional use. In the motorhome I simply leave it connected to the charger so it is always on.
I recently purchased a inexpensive Brother Wireless Laser Printer that works great with the Verison MIFI Device.

I am looking forward to 4G and unlimited data plans, but in the meantime this device is great and the 5gb limit has not been an issue.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use the Cradle Point CTR350 along with Verizon USB 727 Modem with very good success. I hook it up to my computer every time we move so that I can update it. I am able to sit outside at the picnic table and work when needed. Roseann hooks up really easy w/o any degradation in performance when we are both on line.

I do NOT use any outside boosters for the modem and have been able to connect 99.9% of the time. We are under a Verizon plan that gives unlimited downloads for $60 / mo. The whole system is simple and works great.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
I am using the Clearspot 4G Plus which has unlimited service on 4G. I am in Orlando now and have a very good connection and great speeds both up and down. When not in 4G area the modem switches to 3G and on 3G there is a 5GB cap. I am paying $55.00 a month for service plus $6.00 a month for the device. I am able to watch as many streaming movies as my eyes will handle. I also have excellent service with skype and my ipod touch 4G. I can carry the device in my pocket and have internet anywhere with my ipod touch as well as streaming music on the road in car or in our Excel. It is really fun carrying my own wifi hotspot in my pocket. This modem also serves 5 devices.
Download speed 4.76 Mb/s
Sidney

www.aworldtraveler.com
sidkaye is offline   Reply With Quote