Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #1

In the running

We have added the 36GKE Limited to the list of rigs that we are considering to purchase for fulltiming in 2014, also considering DRV,Lifestyle and Dynamax none of them are 100% exactly what we want in a fiver, but what in life is 100% ? OK other than death and taxes.

But seriously, we like the Excel but information on quality,reliability and longevity seems to be limited (other than here) any input would be greatly appreciated...
Defiant530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #2

I have a 2010 36 GKM that has been full timed infor 3 years and 8 months and it has had very few problems and looks new in and out.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have an '11 GKE and really like it a lot. It's a great setup for FT'ing.
Tim
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:44 AM   #4

We put together a list of options that we would want , suggestions or "must haves" or any "don't waste your $$$$ options" ?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant530 View Post
We put together a list of options that we would want , suggestions or "must haves" or any "don't waste your $$$$ options" ?
These are the options we ordered on our 2013 Excel Winslow 34IKE. Some are standard on Limiteds.

The options we really love are the MCD shades (must have) and residential fridge.

Sure, there are things we could live without, but nothing I feel is a waste of $$:

Full Body Paint - Winslow Almond with blue metallic paint substitute for maroon
Glazed Maple Interior
Box Springs Under Mattress
French Door w/Obscure Glass in Hall
Convection Microwave -x- Standard
Central Vacuum System w/Powerhead & VacPan
40m 2 Stage furnace
Electric Fireplace
Lawn Chair Storage
Whole House Water Filter
A & E Power Awning
Pivot-EZ Sewer Hose Compartment
Gen Ready-Onan (Incl. Box, Energy Command Module)
Class III Receiver Hitch
Glide Ride Pin Box
Ducted 2nd A/C-15M Low Profile
Disc Brakes W/17.5 LD J Tires
Fully Automatic Leveling System
King Size Bed
Residential Ref & Stainless Steel Appliances
Laminate Flooring-X-Carpet in Hallway
Laminate Flooring-X-Carpet in Livingroom
Laminate Flooring-X-Linoleum (Kit/Bath)
Laminate-X-Carpet in Bedroom
OPTIONAL BATHROOM: Walk-Through "E"
Shorter Range Cabinet and Big Pantry w/Sliding Shelves
Manual MCD Shades
Sliding Storage Tray
Integrated Brake Controller Compatibility Box
Rubberized Flooring in Basement -x- Ozite
SeeLevel Monitor Panel
Pre-Wire for Solar Charger
Extra 110V Outlet - In Basement on Door Side
Single handle Moen faucet with pullout
Premium Limited carpet in the slide-outs

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies! Its funny that we never really considered Excel as a serious choice until recently we are considering the usual suspects DRV,Lifestyle and even Dynamax.....I think what turned us off was the models that they had the RV show in Hershey Pa. ,they just didn't ring our bell , but I decided to revisit Excel after looking at some of the 2013's ,they have a floor plan we love (36GKE w/ the home shower option) and many of the options we desire.
But our major concern is the wood framing (since we plan to fulltime and keep it for some time) should I be concerned ? It appears every other manufacturer seems to be using aluminum framing.
Also is the R-values of the insulation good enough for southern summer weather? Since we might have to stay in that climate until we build our work camping resume , we will still be working as we will only be 52 and we will still want to stay busy....just on a different level than we are at now.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:23 AM   #7

Also while I was laying in bed awake for some reason at 3:30 am are there any clearance or problems with level towing issues with a 2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 ? I haven't measured ours yet ,been too darn cold .....just keeps reminding me of wanting to get out of upstate NY.....and thats just the tip of the iceberg of my issues with NY.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Also while I was laying in bed awake for some reason at 3:30 am are there any clearance or problems with level towing issues with a 2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 ? I haven't measured ours yet ,been too darn cold .....just keeps reminding me of wanting to get out of upstate NY.....and thats just the tip of the iceberg of my issues with NY.
I have a 2012 GMC DRW 4x4 with a 2012 Excel Wild Cargo 41GKE. The trailer is about one inch nose high when hooked up. I have my hitch and pin box adjusted just right so I have about 7 inches (if I remember correctly) of bed rail clearance.

Last time I weighed the trailer with all our stuff in it we were at 19,800 lbs., with truck and trailer we are just under 30,000 lbs and still under both the front and rear GAWR.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #9

So all of those that own a Excel , have you been satisfied with the R-values in your Limited ?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
So all of those that own a Excel , have you been satisfied with the R-values in your Limited ?

Very happy with the Excel R factor......especially when you go into someone's SOB.....and you can feel the cold/heat radiate from the walls. Been in some that the center of the rig is warm and you move toward the walls or slide and they are very cold. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote