Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Installing Garnett SeeLevel Gauge

I just purchased a SeeLevel by Garnett 3 Tank RV Tank Monitoring System Model 709-P3. It measures the level of effluent in the fresh, gray and black water tanks. Additionally, it measures battery condition and has a switch for controlling the water pump. If anyone has installed one of these I'd appreciate hearing your installation tips. It's always nice to hear from your expertise before I do the work.

SeeLeveL Gauges by Garnet Instruments Ltd. - Model 709-P3

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Seelevel is made and marketed by a company about 5 miles from me. They make a great product and provide great technical support.

I installed the system in our current coach about 4 years ago. Sorry, it has been a while since I installed it so can't remember much about the installation but it was an easy straight forward installation and works great!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:02 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8ite View Post
I just purchased a SeeLevel by Garnett 3 Tank RV Tank Monitoring System Model 709-P3. It measures the level of effluent in the fresh, gray and black water tanks. Additionally, it measures battery condition and has a switch for controlling the water pump. If anyone has installed one of these I'd appreciate hearing your installation tips. It's always nice to hear from your expertise before I do the work.

SeeLeveL Gauges by Garnet Instruments Ltd. - Model 709-P3

Thanks
How about documenting (pics, etc.) the progress of the job as you proceed for those of us who might also want to eventually do the same?
Old 02-17-2015, 06:46 AM   #4

I installed SeeLevel Gauges a few years ago. Not hard. I used original wiring to hook up strips.
Here is a picture of the fresh water tank install.

Black and Gray tanks.

Display install. I installed display over original idiot light system.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:01 AM   #5

I did this install about a month ago. My #1 tip would be to temperarily tape the gauge strips on with Gorilla Duct tape and use the system with fills and empty's a while so you can see if you need to adjust the strips up or down to get happy with the best 100%/0% readings when each tank is full and empty. DON'T stick them on permanently until you see what they read on full and empty tanks. Once you are happy with where the strips are then remove the double tape on the back and put them in place permanently.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:19 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on using tape to evaluate the position of the sensor. However I would use the blue painters tape to make it easier to remove without damage to the sensor.

The photos above are similar to my locations. Since the sensor is not exactly the same height as the tank, you must compromise - leaving either the very top or bottom 'blind'. I found mounting like in the photos above worked best for me..

Alan
02 Monaco Windsor 40PKD
str8six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Don, you might consider adding an extra display panel in the utility bay. Very handy when dumping, rinsing or filling tanks. I probably use the outside panel more than the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140704_150429_resized.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	86314  

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:48 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Thanks a bunch for the tips. Taping the strips on and testing certainly makes sense. I also like the idea of a panel in the utility bay. So, here we go..crawling under the rig now.

Thanks again
Old 02-17-2015, 08:52 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Russell, What is the extra brass ball valve between your exterior faucet and hose connection used for. Does your faucet not hold? Just curious.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Don, access to your tanks may be the lobor intensive part. I have also heard the strip placement is important. Not sure why but remember reading something about it. Retff bought this system and went to a dealer in Mesa for installation and after a few hours he cancelled the job I think cause the dealer had never seen an Excel and had a hard time with tank access. I'm not sure if he ever got it finally installed..maybe he will chime in here.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:08 AM   #11

The boss said he wished our tanks were that easy to get to, judging from pictures. He said we'll just keep going by the sloshing sounds. LOL
Old 02-17-2015, 11:16 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8ite View Post
Russell, What is the extra brass ball valve between your exterior faucet and hose connection used for. Does your faucet not hold? Just curious.
I removed the OEM quick connect and installed a hose quick connect that matches the rest of my hoses.

I added the ball valve because it would "dribble" water after the hose was removed.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:28 AM   #13

As far as being hard. It depends on the RV. My Gulf Stream was very easy. All my pictures show how open thins are.
I helped a friend install sensors on his Jayco Seneca. Had to remove rear fender well to access gray water tank. Not a easy job.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
First of all, all the above info is good basic material to know. The Garnet website give great technical info.

I just would like those that do not have the SeeLevel system to know about what I've experienced. The system is so much better than the old OEM probes. That said, they are not perfect. If you allow your tank to get "gunked up" they will not give accurate readings. Especially in grey tanks where grease, particles and bacteria accumulate. Use of tank cleaners, flushing, and/or use of the GEO cleaning methods are still necessary. I called the other day and they shared that their testing showed Dawn detergent was causing issues with the tank cleanliness (nothing specific stated). Also they don't like the use of "bar soap" as it has "binding agents" which cause aids gunk sticking to the tank wall. The tech staff are really great to deal with and will share their knowledge with you. My main point here is to not have people think that installing this system will give perfect readings in all conditions. NOT! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install