Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
So lately my water pressure has dropped. Starts slow, drops off, starts up again.

I take out the whole house water filter cartridge. Take out the wire mesh pump filter and look at it – clean. So I keep the whole house water filter cartridge out and replace the housing.

Water pressure better now. But the pump kicks on for a few seconds every few minutes. Why would a missing cartridge cause a drop in pressure?

I reinstall the cartridge. Pressure better now. But the pump still kicks on every few minutes.

No leaks around the cartridge housing nor the mesh filter.

Conjecture???
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Bruce it has been my experience that when the water pump is purging there is a leak somewhere to cause the pressure to go down and have the pump kick in again. Good luck! Book2
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
So this just started after removing the two filters. No leaks from either.

Can it purge without leaking?? (Doubt it. )
Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Bruce,
The check valve might be weak and letting water flow back into the water tank. I would look for it in the area of the water pump.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:38 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The other places I'd suggest also checking is the water heater pressure relief valve, the low point drains and the washer connections.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
I tightened all the fittings three times, refilled the water tank (and dumped my gray). Finally works OK again. Pressure even back to normal, which started this chain of events.

Sometimes you take things apart and put them back and they work. Don't know why, but I count on it.

I even called the Shurflo company and extracted a PDF manual from them. RV didn't come with the manual.

Thanks all for your help.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #7

im near you and i have a older unit 95 i get calcium after moving in faucet filters

also i get pump running a few times after actually using water air in line ?

mike
MIKE AND DIANE KENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Symptoms returned. Called Shurflo and described the problem. Woman there says it could be the microswitch that controls the pressure. Send it back under the three year warranty.

So what’s the best way to remove the water pump for repair?

I turn off the city water. Drain the water lines.

I pull out the whole house water filter. Always a big splash there, no matter the precautions.

I remove the steel mesh water filter. Water steadily streams out of the pipe for a while.

Stretch to reach the other side of the water pump with the second line. Start to unscrew it. Hsssss of water again.

Stop right there. Put everything back. Set up hair dryer to blow on floor. Start typing, “So what’s the best way to remove the water pump for repair?

Old 04-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce and Jenna View Post
Symptoms returned. Called Shurflo and described the problem. Woman there says it could be the microswitch that controls the pressure. Send it back under the three year warranty.

So what’s the best way to remove the water pump for repair?

I turn off the city water. Drain the water lines.

I pull out the whole house water filter. Always a big splash there, no matter the precautions.

I remove the steel mesh water filter. Water steadily streams out of the pipe for a while.

Stretch to reach the other side of the water pump with the second line. Start to unscrew it. Hsssss of water again.

Stop right there. Put everything back. Set up hair dryer to blow on floor. Start typing, “So what’s the best way to remove the water pump for repair?

I think you are going to have a certain amount of water in the lines to and leaving the water pump. Unbolt the water pump from the floor then I would take a shallow pan and place underneath pump to catch the water and also have an old towel handy to soak up any extra water that might overflow the pan.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
I hafta agree with Still, except I use several rag towels to soak up the extra water splash. I would agree that the pressure sensor is a "weak link" with the Shurflo 5.7 water pump. Very sensitive sensor setting. Hope they get it all fixed up for ya! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #11

Keep some rags handy For Sure!!!
But to keep the flow/Spillage to a minimum.
And to releave the last bit of pressure and drain the lines as much as possilble, open the Hot and Cold Low point Drains!!!

Rick
Old 04-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
I hafta agree with Still, except I use several rag towels to soak up the extra water splash. I would agree that the pressure sensor is a "weak link" with the Shurflo 5.7 water pump. Very sensitive sensor setting. Hope they get it all fixed up for ya! rockin'
See reply in off topic
Old 04-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #13
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem recently and discovered it was the pressure control in the pump leaking off the pressure. Called Shurflo and they agreed to send a new pump under warranty. I replaced the pump and only lost about a quart of water. The new pump works perfectly now and shuts off as designed. I had to pay return shipping but small price to pay for good service.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Well, maybe I wrote too much about the leaks. Was really asking if I'm going about this the right way.

Do I need to turn off any additional valves if I'm running on city water and not using the pump?

I should expect additional spillage from the far side of the pump even after losing water from the near side line and draining the hot and cold drains in the util area?

I just don't wanna pull all these lines and remove the pump, just to find free flowing water when I turn the city pressure on again.