Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are you saying Excel will assume any and all responsibility for any arising damage from this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ray,
I don't read anything in "Wrongway's" post about Excel (PI) assuming responsibility for any damage to their 5th wheels due to jacking. Owners must follow the recommendation of the axle manufacturer and/or PI.

Tom (Wrongway)
You may want to edit your original post to clarify that the techniques you mention may not be appropriate or manufacturer recommended for all axle set-ups.

Unfortunately, I can't find any recommendations for lifting and supporting my Excel in the Owner's Manual. The axle manufacturer, Dexter, states in their manual: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Follow the trailer manufacturer's recommendation for lifting and supporting the unit. Do not lift or place supports on any part of the suspension system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I looked at several SOB owner's manuals and found that they all use a somewhat generic statement regarding jacking:
"Tire Changing Basics
Use emergency flares when near a road or highway.
Block the wheels on the opposite side from the tire you wish to change to prevent accidental movement.
Position a hydraulic jack on the frame close to the spring hanger. (Never attempt to use a stabilizer jack to lift the unit) NEVER USE A STABILIZER JACK TO RAISE THE UNIT. ONLY USE AN APPROPRIATELY RATED HYDRAULIC JACK."

I would add a block of wood between the jack and frame, manufacturers are probably hesitant to include due to possible liability in the event the wood block slips out.

PI, inquiring minds want to know how to raise and support our coaches for maintenance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2007, 02:34 AM   #30

Excel Owners Club
Ray,IN
NO where in my post do I state anything about Excel being responsible or do I state anything that Excel recommends. I am merely putting in my Ideas on the issue. So Please do not misread what I have typed in.

If a unit comes into our service dept. and we have to raise the trailer we will do in so in many of the different fashions that have been mentioned here, other than using the axle tube itself. This can lead to a bent tube, which also could remove the camber that is placed in the tube for the weight flex. Example, flat tire on a New Unit on the Lot Yesterday, ( Screw in the tire from the factory) Placed a large 10 ton floor jack under the frame with blocking, raised the unit, removed and replaced the tire. 15 minutes in the air. If we had to get both in the air at the same time we would have used the equalizer point between the two tires. And at times we will use the axle plate to raise that perticular axle. It all depends on the issue.
Just the way that we here, would be working on a tire, bearing, brake, etc. issue.
It's another day, so all have a good one.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:46 AM   #31

Tom that is a natural assumption. You advertise yourself as an Excel representative in your avitar. I assume you speak for Excel when you post.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 05-31-2007, 07:17 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ray,
I guess I need to set the record straight. Tom is not advertising himself--I added his custom title. He owns a dealership and is an Excel dealer (period). We appreciate Tom's support of this forum--wish additional dealers would come on board.
The ONLY current member of this forum that speaks for PI (Excel) is "ExcelRVGuy", the President of the company.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:42 AM   #33

It would sure help if Mr. Tillett, or some other PI rep would participate in this forum to help to address some of these issues.

Excel is on our short list for purchase along with HitchHiker and Cameo. In the case of HitchHiker, the NuWa CEO participates on an almost daily basis on the NuWa owner's forum. I find that very refreshing and it tells me a lot about a company's committment to good customer service.

It seems strange that PI wouldn't have instructions on proper jacking in the owner's manual, but then I don't know if any other manufacturer does since I haven't owned a 5th wheel before.

Bill
Old 05-31-2007, 03:18 PM   #34

I owe everyone an apology. I do apologize. The problem stems from a website error. I click on TT & 5th wheel-problems, solutions & other issues. It takes me to this forum instead. I have no business being here. Once again I apologize.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 05-31-2007, 04:13 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ray, no apology necessary -- this topic got linked to the "TT & 5th Wheel - Problems, Solutions & After Market" Forum.
John
Old 05-31-2007, 04:29 PM   #36

Alright. I didn't get steered to the Excel forum by a snafu, it is a deliberate crossover. Others may do as they wish. I choose to preserve my investment the best my years of experience and learning direct.
I learned much from this. I will now insist on watching anyone jacking up my RV, and direct them to NOT use a ramp, as wrongway said his dealership does.
Closed Thread