Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #1

Jolting Problem - advice please

Just bought a 2014 37RKM equipped with a hydralift last week from RV Sales. Great trailer, well built. Thanks to Russel we had it equipped with the residential fridge which my wife just loves - thanks for the advice Russel.

I'm having quite a severe jolting issue when braking and when starting from a stop or slow crawl. B&W Companion Hitch, glide ride, no motorcycle on the back. The pin box and hitch seem to separate (pin box appears to lift upward) and then abruptly settle into each other. I've had Ralph at RV Sales hitch the trailer to his truck and the trailer does the same thing which he hasn't experienced before either. I've adjusted the IBC gain (2013 Chevy Duramax one ton crew cab) up and down with little effect. Both Ralph and I are perplexed. Trailer isn't completely level, slight rise at the nose end, lowered the pin box to the middle setting and lowered the companion hitch to its lowest setting - sufficient clearance between truck bed and trailer but not much room for any further adjustment. No noticeable change in the jolting. I am a novice when it comes to fifth wheel trailers so my terminology and even expectations may be incorrect.

I captured a short video on my iphone but not sure how to share it

anyone else ever experience anything similar and if so has a fix to share?

advice on what else to check?
swJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #2

update
I was able to look more closely at the video we took and can more accurately describe the separation (creating the jolt) as being contained entirely within the glide ride/pin box (if the terminology is correct). There is a flexible plate (that remains in contact with the B&W companion hitch at all times) that upon breaking or slowing down separates from the bottom part of the DEMCO pin box and then settles down abruptly on this flexible plate (jack plate?). It's this motion that then transfers a considerable jolt to the hitch and truck. Perhaps too much breaking on the trailer end, i.e. too much gain on the IBC. I've gone as low as 3.5 and as high as 7.0 - Chevy IBC.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The Glide Ride is suppose to absorb normal forward and backward "chucking" during breaking and acceleration. I think your on the right track with to much aggressive braking. Now if it doing it on two differant trucks I would be looking at the trailer brake system. May want to give Dexter a call. are the trailer wheels locking up and skidding?
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #4

No skidding nor locking up on the trailer wheels. I'm going to rely on Ralph to figure this one out. I was glad to see it occur on Ralph's Ford, as odd as that sounds.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
You may be experiencing normal operation of the Glide Ride.

Mine makes a "pop" at slow accelerations and slow stops. But, not a severe jolt.

Glad you wife likes the full size refrigerator. We love ours.

What inverter (Make, model, etc.) did they install in your Excel for the fridge?

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #6

Rv is at the dealer, I will let you know which inverter was installed when I get it back.

When the ride glide lifts up from it's jack plate, approx. 2-3 inches, he comes down hard and then the B&W articulates a bit and that imparts a jolt. Sometimes it's nothing more than just a loud "POP" and sometimes we can feel it in the cab. Just seems like this would be causing extra wear on the truck?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
swJay, what are you calling the Jack Plate? 5th wheel plate on the very top of the BW? If your king pin on the Glide Ride has lots of movement up and down inside the BW 5th wheel plate that will make lots of noise and jolting. on my Curt 5th wheel hitch I only have about 1/2" movement and with the slick disc lube plate there alomose not space to move. klunk or jolt. If you dont have a slick disc you may try one or even to to fill any gap.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
I use a GlideRide with a B&W Companion hitch, and I'm not experiencing any popping, jolting or banging; certainly no 2-3" vertical separation between the hitch plate and the GlideRide load plate!! I do use a teflon load disc on the kingpin, but that's not going to take up 2"-3" of vertical play. If the jaws of the B&W Companion are securely engaged in the kingpin groove, I don't see how the GlideRide load plate can separate vertically from the hitch plate. Something definitely isn't right, here - these symptoms are not normal based on my years of experience with this setup in two (2) different trucks.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
X2, 2-3 inches is crazy and dangerous. Keep us posted.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Chief,
On my TrailerSaver Air hitch with the Heavy duty Holland/Binkley head with the disk in place there is very little room between the bottom of the clamping head to the lip on the kingpin so any upward movement is not noticeable. I had B&W hitch on my last two GM 3500 dually's and did notice the gap between the bottom of the clamping head and lip of the kingpin was more than I have now but the trailers had such heavy pin weight didn't notice and up and down banging. I would see what kind of gap you have and try another Teflon disk to see if the thumping reduces. (But be careful to get a proper hitch on the kingpin body....not the lip.) You can buy thicker and thinner disks I believe. Also, I would think with the bike on the back would make this issue worse by reducing pin weight. Can you post a picture of the gap when hooked up?
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Here's a link to Jay's video:

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
I don't see any relative motion between the two load plates. I do see the GlideRide moving up and down as it moves fore and aft. If there is banging or clunking as a result of this motion, then hopefully the dealer is looking carefully at the links and shafts in the GlideRide assembly.

Since the GlideRide depends on pin weight to self-center, reduced pin weight would allow the GlideRide to move to its extremes of travel more easily than it would with normal pin weight. If it were mine and everything else checks out OK, I'd try unbolting and dropping the motorcycle carrier and then give it another test run to see what (if any) impact that had on the problem.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Rick, swJay is the OP with the issue.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
swJay,

The video shows you slowing down and the GR moves forward as it should, and then when you take off it moves back and clunks. I can't see the pin bushings in the GR being worn out on a new unit. I think mine has the same actions as yours. I just don't hear it and the air hitch cushions the up down motion on mine. I don't see any bouncing between the pinbox and hitch to make the noise. This is something I'd send to Demco right away.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote