RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:46 AM   #1

Just Did The Math Or Game Reset

Carol and I have decided to go off the road for a year or so. The repair costs of our Beaver Motor Home since purchase and especially in the past six months has been seriously excessive. We may sell it and go back to Excel or another 5r or even keep it, we have not yet determined that. We will be in Albuquerque for the time of our reconsideration. We are currently staying at the FmCamp on Kirtland AFB and will be moving to Arbor RV Park in the North Valley. The RV Park has direct access to the Rio Grande River and Bio Park in the Bosque. There also happens to be some health issues with my family, i.e., mother and sister, who live locally. I will not be on this forum as much. I wanted to thank the group as it has been fun and thank all you truck drivers for letting this bus driver hang around. You are good people. I will watch your journeys with envy. Be careful out there and God Bless!
Phil

motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Phil,
You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers -- wish everyone the best and please keep us updated on your status. You are as much a member of the Excel Family as anyone on the forum and I will miss your postings. Again, God Bless and keep us in mind. We're looking forward to a new chapter in our RV life also, a return to a MH.
John

Old 12-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #3

Don't stay away too much. I really appreciate the knowledge you provided. Good luck and take care! David
Old 12-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Moto...you belong in here as much as I do ...no, more than I do...you actually owned an Excel ) You need to take a little time each day (or at the very least ..each week) and check in here. You bring too many smiles and helpful info here to take that away from us. Besides...it is a great stress reliever to come in and chuckle at others "misfortunes"

I do wish you well with the family issues - I know about that first hand - plus I know about being off the road...just know you will be missed if you aren't here providing us with chuckles....

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Sorry to hear about the issues taking you off the road. Prayers & thoughts as always for those having to do what needs to be done. As with any Excel owner/ex-owner you have it in your blood forever just like your past heritage. We don't just kick you to the streets and fin fo yourself. Will maybe SKIA, but I'm sure he'll be hear.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Moto,

I know we have chatted off line and know all will be fine. Please check in regularly as we care about you guys. We plan on being in the ABQ area in April and want to get on the deck and do some "margs"!! Have faith in the Lord and all will be well.......I can just feel it. Our prayers are with you. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:14 AM   #7

You guys are awesome and thanks for the posts. I will be re-entering the workforce for awhile and therefore less online. The Beaver is the problem as it has had some serious issues, one after the other and we have dutifully fixed them. I think we have repaired everything although it goes in on Tuesday for repair of the brakes and flushing the power steering fluid. There are also issues with my sister and mother having health problems. Being close is important to do at this time.
There are positives. We will be in our home town and located near old friends and known places. Motorcycle rides with friends and our campground will be on a trail by the Rio Grande River for great bicycle rides. Retirement income will continue to pay me and the big question is to keep the Beaver or sell it. So that is it. Nothing bad but I really need to think about this Motor Home before I turn the key to travel again.
The deck will always be there and needless to say, Margaritas for our friends
Old 12-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Moto, thanks for being honest on the costs of maintaining a RV. I think folks aren't open to others what these cost and dollar devaluation of these beasts. There are a lot better places to put ones monies. Hope the best for your family concerns and do let us know what is up in your life!!!
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #9

Hey Woody,
I wish it had been just maintenance. We had structural failures with sub-frame issues, siding coming off not to mention drivability issues and the list goes on. We have fixed all of that and more as well as maintenance. If I sell it someone will get an awesome MH. If I keep it ,it will be a crap shoot. Bottom line I need to think this one over.
ll things happen for a reason! Looking after family while doing this is not a bad thing.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:26 AM   #10

Now that I am no longer retired and officially looking for a job I guess I am on the dole till employed. I looked over the numbers and figured out the "Monument's" expensive habits, though bad, are not that bad. We may very well keep it as I have repaired all the major issues aside from the driveline which has asked for nothing other than an oil change and respect. CAT rules!
In any case with the illnesses in the family I am tethered to Albuquerque and need see this through with the family. That really trumps my mess. I figure I'd no sooner get 1000 miles away and we would be back here. It is cold here but we have been warm being close to family, friends and the really cool friendships/comments made in this thread.
Thank you
Moto