Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #1

Leak Repair

I have a 2003 Excel Limited, 32 ft that suddenly developed a leak. Water is seeping thru the underbelly fabric. I started taking the screws out that hold the underbelly in place, but I'm not sure I can get it back in place. The insulation which appears to be laying on top of the underbelly fabric is saturated with water.

Any suggestions on how to get access to the problem? Should I take it completely down and replace the insulation? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

BTW, it is a fresh water leak.
donuthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 11:08 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Hey dunothin, need a little more info to help. U say it's a fresh water leak. Is the leak there with the shore water hooked up? Sometimes if you have a leak at a faucet whether in kitchen or bathroom, they can leak down into the basement or lower to the belly blanket. Start there to make sure you don't have a high up leak running into the belly. If the water is clean then you shouldn't have to replace the insulation. It will dry OK. Some other things to think about...is the leak only happening when the grey tank is near full? If so you probably have a split seam on the top of seam of the grey tank. Just some things to get you started. When you give us some more specific info the more we can help. Does your unit have an inspection plate in the middle section of the belly blanket? Way back when some of the Excels had the plates and some didn't. Most all about 2005 had the inspection plate. That makes it a bit easier to see into the belly area relatively easily to see what's going on. rockin'

BTW. I see your profile that you live in Temple. I used to eat at a great old café....I think it was something like the "Blue Top Café" which had wonderful comfort food. Old folks ran it. Last time I was there.....the neighborhood had got pretty bad. Wonder if it is still in business?
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:34 AM   #3

Water Leak

Thanks. First off, it was the Blue Bonnet Cafe that was a great place for blue plate special. Located close to what was the old Santa Fe Hospital. Operated until the owners were way up in age, finally sold, but went downhill fast and is now closed.

The water leak only occurs when it has shore hook up. It looks clear and doesn't have any sewer odor though I do see what looks like a 4" exhaust hose laying on the underbelly.

I will turn on the water this morning and see if I can tell if it is coming from kitchen sink or bathroom area.

It does not have an inspection plate. I lowered the belly blanket from about midway forward and see no pipes underneath. No apparent leaks in the area behind the storage compartment that has several water lines. The underbelly is very heavy, I guess from the water saturated insulation. Not sure how I will ever get it back in place.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donuthin View Post
Thanks. First off, it was the Blue Bonnet Cafe that was a great place for blue plate special. Located close to what was the old Santa Fe Hospital. Operated until the owners were way up in age, finally sold, but went downhill fast and is now closed.

The water leak only occurs when it has shore hook up. It looks clear and doesn't have any sewer odor though I do see what looks like a 4" exhaust hose laying on the underbelly.

I will turn on the water this morning and see if I can tell if it is coming from kitchen sink or bathroom area.

It does not have an inspection plate. I lowered the belly blanket from about midway forward and see no pipes underneath. No apparent leaks in the area behind the storage compartment that has several water lines. The underbelly is very heavy, I guess from the water saturated insulation. Not sure how I will ever get it back in place.
OK let's concentrate on the water leak, I can help you with the belly blanket later. Regarding the 4" exhaust hose, are you talking about the 3" ABS pipe sewer outlet? If you don't find any leak at any of the faucets high up, don't forget to check the connection where the fresh water hookup and pex meet. Just unscrew the 3 screws on the hookup and pull out just a couple of inches to check for leak. Another thought....what is your water pressure going into the rig? Those old timers (pre 2006) with the clamp type pex connections don't like much over 60-65 psi or they'll seep at the connections. Enough for now. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 06-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #5

Mornin Rockin... my first guess on the 4" pipe with the basement heating duct. My 2001 had a metal duct setup with exhaust openings but thought I've seen this setup in someone's prior photos.

Agree pulling the inlet out and checking it would be easier than trying to see it from underneath. My prior would develop a drip from the shower area if I didn't keep a pressure regulator on it and keep it below 50 psi which worked for us.

Here is something to check as see if you basement/area behind the underbelly has this panel....

This is a photo Rockin' posted when we were talking slide systems. If I'm not mistaken you have limited access to some of the hidden areas by removing this panel?

If you have inspected the areas below the sinks and they didn't show any wet areas...I would pull out several close drawers and look behind those also. The day before I sold the Beast, I developed a bad gusher from the kitchen when I applied water to the unit. Found some short of quick disconnect that fed another line. I had strapped it down so it wouldn't rub the new drawers I had installed....Would guess it didn't like that. That's why I would pull a drawer and look, couldn't see it from the sink area.

Have you determined is the water is a drip or worst?
Old 06-23-2016, 11:22 AM   #6

water leak

Found the leak and it was a connection in the line, probably the one you mentioned. That was easy to fix. The fiberglass insulation in the belly is saturated so I have a fan blowing into it to speed the drying. Should be 95 degrees the next few days, so that should work. I am thinking I will put a 2x4 under the trailer with a jack to help lift the belly as i slide the edges back into place to be screwed down. Hopefully that works.

Thanks for your help. You obviously have had a lot of experience and know much about what to do.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
That's great! Regarding getting the belly blanket back in, here is a recent thread that we discussed that. Look at post #11 thru 14. Could you be specific where the water leak connection was? Thanks.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f116/the-...ke-287772.html
Old 06-24-2016, 06:53 AM   #8

Water Leak

Before putting the underbelly back up, I need to find where the duct goes or if it is just an exhaust duct.

The straps on the tanks look good and show no signs of rusting. But dumb me, hooked the fresh water supply up to the black tank wash out inlet. Before I realized it, water was running out, apparently from the top and down the side of the tank. Is there a vent or did I create a problem with the tank?
Old 06-24-2016, 07:42 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donuthin View Post
Before putting the underbelly back up, I need to find where the duct goes or if it is just an exhaust duct.

The straps on the tanks look good and show no signs of rusting. But dumb me, hooked the fresh water supply up to the black tank wash out inlet. Before I realized it, water was running out, apparently from the top and down the side of the tank. Is there a vent or did I create a problem with the tank?
Hate to be the barrier of bad news, but the vent goes to the roof, so that probably means you split the seam near the top of the black tank. You can go to the utility center from the top on the curbside and look to see if the inlet to the black tank could be leaking, but it' mostly likely a split seam. Sorry. rockin'
Old 06-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #10

There is possibly three connections to the tank....the fitting for the toilet, the vent stack and the tank rinse. Four if you count the drain outlet. ALL will be sealed and anything that leaves the tank should be air out the stack and waste through the outlet.

Would assume from your comment that you over filled the tank when flushing....easy to do on mine if I'm not careful. Was the water coming from the top of the tank, as in the lid or at the top of the tank below the lip. These tanks have been known to develop a leak/split below the flange if I remember correctly.

Determine if you can what area of the tank it might be coming from.

I believe the heat tubing is what is used to heat the 'tanks and lower basement', could be wrong.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:07 AM   #11

Water Leak

Looks like I might have taken a relatively small problem made a much larger problem. Question for RockinTom. Where exactly is the utility center and how do I access it?
Old 06-25-2016, 08:46 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
I'm sorry I should have been more clear. The area I'm referring to is the electrical center, where the furnace is, behind the sliding doors in the basement. When you look in there you'll see the 3" ABS pipe from the toilet going into the tank and also the 1-1/2" vent line that goes to the roof. You'll be able to see the flange where the pipe meets the tank. Looks for wetness or witness marks of leaking. It's unlikely that they'll be an issue them, but worth looking at. Based on the age of your rig, you have split the tank at the tank seam and could have split the tank on the sidewall. I've one or the other, and again I've seen both at the same time. Either way it's tank replacement time. rockin'
Old 06-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #13

Water Leak

That sounds like a job for a repair center. Thanks.

Tags
leak, repair