Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #1

Carol and I will be purchasing a MH in the very near future and unfortunately the Excel will go. Moriarty RV Sales are selling the MH to us with the same excellent Excel service they are known for. We have grown attached to our MKO and in looking at other rigs we have used it as a benchmark for others to be measured by. Very few meet that mark. Our needs and lifestyle have led us to a MH. We certainly will not be Prevost primadona's so we would like to remain in contact with this forum and drop by once in awhile if you do not mind.
One of the sad things I need to do is sell my 2008 F450 King Ranch 4X4. I only had a chance to drive it 2000 miles. If you know someone that wants a tow ready truck please ask them to drop me an email.
Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #2

Carol and I will be purchasing a MH in the very near future and unfortunately the Excel will go. Moriarty RV Sales are selling the MH to us with the same excellent Excel service they are known for. We have grown attached to our MKO and in looking at other rigs we have used it as a benchmark for others to be measured by. Very few meet that mark. Our needs and lifestyle have led us to a MH. We certainly will not be Prevost primadona's so we would like to remain in contact with this forum and drop by once in awhile if you do not mind.
One of the sad things I need to do is sell my 2008 F450 King Ranch 4X4. I only had a chance to drive it 2000 miles. If you know someone that wants a tow ready truck please ask them to drop me an email.
Phil
Old 11-14-2007, 03:25 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Dear Phil & Carol;

Good luck with your motorhome and thank you for your time spent in the Excel family. We will miss you and hopefully we'll see you again sometime.

Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:36 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Phil and Carol, wish you the best with your new MH. Please visit often and let us know how you're doing.
John & Marilyn
Old 11-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #5

My truck just sold so I guess we either walk or buy the MH. We will drop in from time to time and if I see any Excel's out there it will be good to meet the folks.
Phil
Old 12-06-2007, 01:55 PM   #6

Well, we miss you guys, a very good forum and good people! Just got the Mac online so that is a feat. We went to RV Sales Moriarty and transitioned to the MH over the Thanksgiving Holiday. We finished and were on the road before the first big snow storm hit leaving Don and Deb to weather it out. Sold my truck to Don so he could haul the toybox, that thing sure is a heavy Excel. Took Don and Deb out to eat and the truck had some problems which Don had repaired under warranty. Could not believe it did that. We have settled into the Beaver, very nice place to live! The ice maker line froze up and we were struggling to make sure nothing was permanently damaged. Beyond that everything is pretty good. A bit narrower than the Excel and storage is different. We will be on our first maiden voyage to Butterfield's RV Resort in Benson Az on 26 Dec so it will be the true test. Everytime we came back to our site both Carol and I would look for the Excel only to find the MH. An Excel pulled into the site across from us so it felt more like home. Well, that is all the news that is fit to print.
Phil
Old 12-07-2007, 03:32 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Phil,

Thanks for checking in. We love hearing your adventures and want to follow your new lifestyle. I've always kinda wondered how it would be (good and bad) in a HM. Please come back soon and share with us! Do you know what happen on the 450? Inquiring minds is curious! Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #8

Hey Tom, Thanks for the good stuff. We appreciate it and do miss our Excel friends. This MH adventure should be fun.
Don Zink, who is on this forum is the proud owner of previously named "warpig" F450. He had to put it in the shop for over a week while Ford looked for parts. It was a fan on the tranny that would not allow it to shift. He has the details and I am glad he was able to finally get on the road. Having never owned a Ford before I was not sure if this is normal for them. My Dodges never had any problems that early in the game and I really hope the Ford works out for Don. The truck had about 2000 miles on it. If Don reads this perhaps he can add more to it.
Phil
Old 12-09-2007, 09:33 AM   #9

Hey everyone, sorry I've been off-line for a while and just noticed these new posts. As far as the truck problem, it wasn't a transmission issue, rather a cooling fan for the engine. Was explained to me that since it wasn't working properly, conversely the transmission wouldn't shift properly. Supposed to be a safety thing to keep from overheating the engine. Ford had the truck for a week waiting on the part. We finally left frigid Moriarty on Sun. Dec. 2nd. Stopped one night at Deming and then on to Benson on Mon. Very impressed with the towing capabilities of the truck, ride and handling are great, as is the turning radius. Not so impressed with the fuel mileage. 7-8 towing.

2008 Excel Wild Cargo
Don Zink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Don, welcome to the ownership of the F450. I have found it to be a great purchase and performer--- The only down side is that Chief, Smokingtom etc (all the other owners of HD or MD TV)claim they will pass me going 60mph on the grades) Don't let the MPg bother you too much. At first I too was concerned about the 7-8 MPG. About two months ago, a forum discussion on the F450 revealed that there is a chip that will cease working at 300 hours and allow the engine to produce a better mpg. I asked my dealer of purchase and he said he believed that to be true to help protect the break-in period for the engine.

I am now approaching 300 hours and have noticed the MPG is increasing to 10-12 mpg---I try to keep my speed circa 55-65---pulling a 36clo. Luv the transmission (TLH) especially desending.

Recently went through the Kentucky/Tenn road grades and maintained an easy 60mph---Too bad I didn't see Chief or Virg, et.al, so I could have passed them. ---learned to do this by T-- guess who? Maverik

05 Excel CLO36
maverik/gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:18 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Maverik,

John
Old 12-10-2007, 02:38 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
"Smokingtom"

Mav,

I think you'll give Virg something to crow about today! It won't last long though....as he got to go to work to pay for the his fuel bill! Darn if I'm starting early this AM!

Virg has that big red overkill truck! I've just got the puny 1 ton that's overweight! Rockintom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:24 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by maverik/gypsy:
About two months ago, a forum discussion on the F450 revealed that there is a chip that will cease working at 300 hours and allow the engine to produce a better mpg. I asked my dealer of purchase and he said he believed that to be true to help protect the break-in period for the engine.
Maverik </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very interesting. Justa month ago, I fueled up and found my mileage had increased by abuot 2mpg. I said to DW, "It's like someone flipped a switch." Guess that's true. I have 350 hours now.

And mileage continues to improve.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #14

There is hope for the F450 thirst. I thought it was a darn good truck. Good luck with it Don. I have no hope of seeing 12 mpg with what I have. Will see you on the 27th so take care of it. Phil