Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #1

LED Lighting for our Older Excel

Our new to us 2006 Excel was needing some updates, and one if the first is to update the lighting from incandescent to LED bulbs.

I ran across a relatively new dealer who seems to have nice products at reasonable prices. It's called Cabin Bright Cabin Bright |

I ordered a few bulbs and liked what was delivered so I ordered a bunch more. A total of about 50 which covers everything inside, a few spares and 8 for a friend.

Delivery is free for orders larger than $30 as I remember. Plus, he's offering a 15% discount through Sept. 15 while he's at the Hershey RV show.

The big decision on my part was whether to order the 3200K warm or 5500K white bulbs. Many of our friends like the warm white bulbs but we prefer the 5500K white. May have something to do with old age.

In our unit, we had about 31 BA15S which is the most common base, 2ea wedge, 3ea side G4 pin type bases (circular bulbs above sink in bedroom), and 2 regular G4 pin in lamps on each side of TV on end of rig. (30RSO floor plan).

Brad - Santa Fe, NM
BradBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2014, 07:59 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Brad - Good job. You seem to have found an economical supplier. Let us know after you have actually used them if they are as bright as the incandescent G4 lighting. I would like to make the conversion but I'm not sure how many lumens I need.

Thanks,
Don
Old 09-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #3

Looking for tail lamp post, saw this so here are my Lumins. I changed out most of the 10W bi-pin ceiling puck bulbs with G4-6-5630 side pin units for small housings.
Result, more light, no heat!
My source, M4 Products Very helpful with my questions and was able to return a wrong order on my part with no problem. Also used their led brake/tail 1157 bulbs our "dim from behind" 05 Dynasty with great results.
Just sharing my light, Dave
MissD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #4

Hi Don,

I've had a few minutes down time while monitoring some computers at work so I did a little research with interesting results.

The two most common BA15S bulbs seem to be the 1141 and 1156 bulbs. I think the 1141 is the standard in our fixtures otherwise the heat would be damaging them. The 1156 runs exceptionally hot.
I found two interesting charts which seem to agree:
BA15s Bulb Replacements

https://www.rvledbulbs.com/v/vspfile...scentbulbs.pdf

Briefly, they say the 1141 has an initial output of about 220 lumen with a "designed output" of about half that. The 1156 about 400 with designed 160 lumen. I guess this has to do with the natural darkening of the bulbs over time.

The charts on the Cabin Bright site shows the 18 LED bulbs at 250 lumen, 24 - 320 lumen, and 30 LED at 415 lumen. LED's may loose some efficiency over time also but probably not as bad as incandescent bulbs. We've all seen almost black 1141s and 1156 bulbs.

I ordered almost all 30 LED replacements for the ceiling fixtures. Most are duals with a switch that will allow me to turn off one when not needed. In the bedroom, I ordered some 24's.

I'll give you an update after they arrive.

In my last RV, we fabricated LED lights by cutting strips from rolls of LEDs and sticking them inside on the reflectors and soldering wires to them. Cost and efficiencies are so much better in the last few years that it doesn't make sense to do it anymore.

Brad - Santa Fe
Old 09-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
I replaced many of the halogen bulbs with LED's. The wife did not like them being less bright. I put the incandescent bulbs back in most of the fixtures. She's happy.......

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Brad -You really do some thorough research. Your information is very enlightening and I thank you for your effort.

Russell - Along the same lines as your experience, I bought one LED bulb with a G4 base to see if they would work for me. Physically it fit, but it was way too dim for our use. Sorry I don't know the lumens. Brads information tells me there are better LEDs out there now so I think I'll do some more shopping. May try The 15 LED flat bulb (225 lumens) at Cabin Bright | .

Don
Old 09-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
If mamma ain't happy, nobody's happy.......

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #8

Don,

Watch your diameter. The 15 LED is a little larger in diameter than the 12 LED that I ordered. 34mm versus 29mm. 34mm = 1.34 inch. Don't know what type of light fixture you have.

Brad
Old 09-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #9

So true. The second line is If papa's not happy, nobody cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
If mamma ain't happy, nobody's happy.......
Old 09-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
I didn't want to start another thread and since we both have the same year and model and were doing the same thing. This is what I did, after a lot of research and trial and error, for our ceiling fixtures.
I used BA15S adapters to G4-
BA15S, Single Contact Bayonet Base to G4 Socket Adapter for LED - Set of 5 - Light Sockets - Amazon.com
I used both these combinations of LED'S-
LE Pack of 2, 1.5 Watt G4 LED Bulb, Equivalent to 20W Halogen Bulb, 12VAC, Bi-Pin Light Bulb, Warm White - Led Household Light Bulbs - Amazon.com
LE Pack of 2, G4 LED Bulb, Equivalent to 40W Halogen Bulb, 12VAC, Bi-Pin Light Bulb, Warm White - - Amazon.com
In all the single bulb fixtures I used the 3.0W units.
In the double bulb fixtures I did this-
-Living room- 2 fixtures-1.5W
-Kitchen/Stove -1 fixture-3.0W
-Bedroom-2 fixtures-1.5W
I will do the 3 single bulb fixtures in the cargo bays with the 3.0W.
I'm still trying different bulbs for the rest of my fixtures.
As to why I did it with adapters to G4 bulbs was because I found more options for bulbs. 12VAC, 12AC/DC, 12DC along with dim-able and color changing options.
One note- I thought I might have a problem with pin alignment with the adapters but found it to be a minor issue as you can get close and use the installed adapter and with a small channel-locks turn the socket to align.

Front and back of bulbs and adapter.
Bulb installed.

Shower with incandescent.

Shower with 3.0W.

Brian

Tags
excel