Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2011, 04:55 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Levelng a 5er

Has anyone had any experience with leveling systems, especially on an Excel 33RSE?
rick848193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #2

Don't know about your Excel, but we put the Lippert Level-Up System on our Montana and LOVE IT. Really nice to uphook the TV, pull it out of the way and hit the Auto Level button and with in a matter of seconds you're level. Now as with any system, if the site is really off level you may still need something under the jacks on one side or the other (there is only so much travel in the jacks).
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick848193 View Post
Has anyone had any experience with leveling systems, especially on an Excel 33RSE?
I happen to own a 33RSE. I don't know what year Excel you have, but if you are referring to the hydraulic system, it sucks (as far as "leveling" goes). I level side-to-side with those stackable orange thingies. I use the front jacks to level front-to-back, and then extend the rear jacks as stabalizers.
gdbontly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick848193 View Post
Hi rick,
Welcome to our forum. I'm kinda lost of what you mean in your question. What year is your rig? Hydraulic or electric. Auto leveling or not? We need a little more info to help you. What problem(s) are you having? rockintom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #5

I'm with Rockintom. It's fairly quick and a lot cheaper.
vblarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #6

Automatic Leveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblarry View Post
I'm with Rockintom. It's fairly quick and a lot cheaper.
We have auto leveling system on our 5'ver. Also made by Lippert. Since the first day one of the front jacks was leaking the hydraulic fluid.

We just replaced the one and now it seems as if the other front may be leaking.

I spoke with Lippert personally a few months ago. They were a little concerned as to why PI/Excel decided to only put four leveling jacks instead of six on their rigs.

I don't know why they did. My front end is pretty heavy especially with the generator sitting there also.

However, I do like the auto-level. As I get older, I like things to be easier.
bayou316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
I just got off the phone with our Lippert account engineer. I asked him AGAIN to get everyone at Lippert on the same page.

Two years ago when our competitor came out with the 6 point system, they subsequently named "Level Up" they started selling is as a "positive". They, of course said "Peterson doesn't offer it."

I called Jake Wilde (Lippert AE) and said we probably had better be getting a quote for the 6 point system. Jake told me to forget about it. The reason our competitor had to install 6 jacks is because they can't get the bounce out of their coach because of the lack of strength in their frame. His exact words were "You have a great frame, you don't need it.... I wouldn't offer it if I were you."

When I called him today, he reiterated his previous statement.

We don't need 6 jacks to stabilize our coach due to a superior frame so why make the customer pay extra for something they don't need?

As for capacity, we have plenty. EACH front jack is rated for 14,000 pounds and EACH rear jack is rated for 8,000 pounds.

Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
I think if the front and rear jacks were the same, it might work better. But the front and rear jacks extend/retract at different rates. If I try to level side-to-side, I'll turn on the front and rear jacks for that side only, and it's a disaster. I just gave up. At least I don't have any leaks!
gdbontly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 36' GKE with the 4 hydraulic jacks. We have using the following procedure with our rig with great success.

1. When we get into the site, we will use 2x6's as necessary to get as level as possible side-to-side.
2. We then use the front jacks to rough level front-to-rear.
3. All slides now come out
4. Fine tune leveling side-to-side and front-to-rear with the front jacks ONLY.
5. When all leveled up, the rear jacks come down and firm up the rig.
6. Time to relax and enjoy our stay.

This only takes a couple of minutes and is very stable. Rose is very happy with the results and it's easy enough to do.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Sounds like to to me that there is some confusion here by the responses. The thread is talking about the 4 jack "level up" verse the 6 jack "level up" system, not the conventional 4 hydraulic individually controlled system (now standard on the limited models). rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 10-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom
Sounds like to to me that there is some confusion here by the responses. The thread is talking about the 4 jack "level up" verse the 6 jack "level up" system, not the conventional 4 hydraulic individually controlled system (now standard on the limited models). rockin'
No confusion Tom. Just trying to share operational information.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor2BnC View Post
No confusion Tom. Just trying to share operational information.
Tim,
You were on the edge of being OT....and you know how sensitive I am about that!!! rockybaby
Old 10-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #13

Standard????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post

Thanks rockin....so the hydraulic 4 jack level up system is standard? Man-o-man....should have waited...
bayou316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:52 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou316

Thanks rockin....so the hydraulic 4 jack level up system is standard? Man-o-man....should have waited...
I think you misunderstood Tom. It's easy to do that because of his OP speech pattern.

The "level-up"system is an option. The hydraulic jacks are standard on the Limited series.