Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Limped 100 miles with broken spring!

Enroute from Kerrville Tx to Mission Tx checking my mirrors every 8-10 seconds I noticed the 5er listing to one side...oh crap I knew what that meant! Pulled off crawled under...yup...right rear spring broken at the front eye. Tires wernt rubbing, axle was still plump. The shock was holding things in place. So on I went at 30 mph. Made three stops in small towns no luck on repairs. Limped in to Pharr Tx near Mission to a shop my friend Jack in Abq. NM found while jabbering with the DW on Facebook. Nice guys had all the parts for a good upgrade but can't fix it today. I told him I would see him on the way out in March! Lol. Parked and leveled with help of two bottle jacks. As a matter of fact...the rig never felt so solid! Happy hour!
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #2

Glad you made it home, but that would drive me crazy all winter knowing the trailer isn't ready to go.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Lol...we aren't home..we are full-timers and will be parked here till March 1st... once set up we didn't want move it again until time to travel. We are at Bentsen Palm Village in Mission Tx.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Oh my goodness Chief. Why don't you get a new spring and slip it on in the park? Shouldn't be a big job at all. I would think the RGV would have a spring shop. Just wonderin'? Glad no one hurt or damage done. Hugs to Ms. Char.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Found a great spring shop..I'm gonna upgrade all four sprigs and maybe a mor-ride equilizer. What say you?
Old 12-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Glad all is safe. Glad I could be of help. Been there but much worse outcome.
You know it's gonna be a bad travel day when people pull up next to you yelling your trailer is on fire.
jack1851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Mor-ride makes good stuff. Airstream has been using them for years.
jack1851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Found a great spring shop..I'm gonna upgrade all four sprigs and maybe a mor-ride equilizer. What say you?
Sounds good. I personally have no experience with that brand of equalizer, but would probably do the same thing. Get a little better ride for a minimal amount of $$$.

I'm scared to say anything......but in 3 Excels never had a spring/suspension issue (just shock replacement). Just lucky I guess. Knock on shackles!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 12-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Jack, when you told Char about the shop you found we were 15 minutes away..thanks! The folks there were very knowledgeable and had several 5er's stacked up lol..thanks again.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Jack, when you told Char about the shop you found we were 15 minutes away..thanks! The folks there were very knowledgeable and had several 5er's stacked up lol..thanks again.
Chief, You change avatars like I change my underwear!!! Don't forget to go over to Victoria Palms Resort in Donna and say howdy to Vaughn and Duwana Peterson. They usually get there in after Christmas.

Have fun in the valley. And you know Sarge and Lee are in Llano Grande in Mercedes. Be careful as she makes you drop and give her 20 just to be in her presence!!!! rockin' Do you reckon we's OT yet?
Old 12-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Been there, done that with spring failure. That was 1 year ago.

After I had new springs installed I installed the Centerpoint Air ride suspension on my Excel. They work great and allow me to compensate for the heavier kitchen side by running higher psi on the heavy side.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:34 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
X 2 what Rockin said. I would also look and see what brand of axles you have. I know of two Excels built in 2009, Model year 2010, that had Lippert axles and have had problems with bearings. If you have Dexter axles you'll be better off.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:08 AM   #13

Chief,

We have been on fire before, twice, but from bearing not spring failures on our past New Horizons 5er. Glad you made it in safely with no more damage.

I don't know if your Excel now has lubrication points at the shackles and other moving suspension connections but I would definitely add zerks wherever possible. Those often seen dry shackle bolts really concern me.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
I have Dexter axles with wet bolt heavy duty shackles and Monroe Gas double action shocks. I lube the wet bolts and inspect before each big move. Which was this past Sunday. The main leaf broke a few inches back from the equilizer on the righ rear spring. I'm not overloaded or overweight. Stuff happens. Now to research the upgrade. I'm wondering if a heavier duty spring will be to stiff and cause other problems? Or if there is a spring out there that is just stronger but not stiffer? I will be calling Dexter, Al-ko and Redline. Any other idea's?